• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

"Us against the world"?

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the "us against the world" mantra getting old with people? Especially since the "us" in that phrase for the players and staff does not include the fans. If you think the "us" does include the fans then tell that to Will Compton.

chucksker

Chuck Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah im kinda getting sick of it. i would be okay with it if it worked...but it doesn't seem to be working cause they lose a few every year that they shouldn't.

also with the "not including fans" part...maybe its just me but i feel like the team/bo is starting to resent the university instead of embracing it. it seems like they are beginning to grow apart, because if this "us against the world thing".....i don't like it

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team can't handle prosperity. The only time they're happy is when they feel like everyone's out to get them.

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we can go back to "burn the boats!" Wait no way in hell!!

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is negative energy and it can't last. This I believe is a large part of the problem. They get angry because people (fans and media) question why something happened. They play well and the pressure goes away. The negative energy subsides again until things get down again and then pressure allows them to get angry again increasing the negative energy they draw on.

You can use negative energy short term to motivate but it has to transform into something else or you just keep yoyo-ing ....... like the Huskers.

terphusker

Currently Rosterbaiting
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Any chance Dr. Tom has a chat with Bo in the offseason to see if he can get him to embrace the fans more? I mean seems like he is pushing away one of the reasons Nebraska is such a great college football program.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had his problems with fans too but he didn't whine about it. He realized the solution was to win.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is negative energy and it can't last. This I believe is a large part of the problem. They get angry because people (fans and media) question why something happened. They play well and the pressure goes away. The negative energy subsides again until things get down again and then pressure allows them to get angry again increasing the negative energy they draw on.

You can use negative energy short term to motivate but it has to transform into something else or you just keep yoyo-ing ....... like the Huskers.

Exactly. That kind of motivation is good for say, a national championship game. Like when everyone in the country was saying Spurriers Fun n' Gun offense was going to tear Nebraska a new asshole and Nebraska was playing inferior competition and were too slow.

It's an ugly pattern that's developed.

Still, I refuse to believe that Bo's only trick to motivate his players is this "us against the world" malarkey. I know he's got more up his sleeve than that.

It's not all on the coaches. It falls on the players to find the want to inside themselves. It really shouldn't take that much to get them up for games. They should want to dominate. Dominating's fun. Losing sucks. Is that not motivation enough?

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A BCS bowl was being dangled in front of them. They were playing MICHIGAN. I have a hard time believing they weren't fired up. It boggles the mind.

terphusker

Currently Rosterbaiting
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like to look at corn in my poop weird. (Also, other peoples poop too)

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Success doesn't beget success with this team it seems like. It's like they don't know what to do when they're winning big. Classic symptom of an average program.

You can't be satisfied with yourself EVER.

No one's going to like this reference, but you can tell Nick Saban practically kills himself to keep his team motivated week in and week out.

The guy runs himself ragged trying to explain to his team they haven't done anything yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A BCS bowl was being dangled in front of them. They were playing MICHIGAN. I have a hard time believing they weren't fired up. It boggles the mind.

That is what I don't understand.. It seems the bigger the possible reward the more likely they are to come out misfiring.

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are some above the player's heads as they walk on to the feld that says, "I play for Nebraska". Not for the university, not for themselves, for Nebraska. That means the state of Nebraska. We should be included in the "us"!!!!!!!!

BrawlinHawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can you really use the "us against the world" mentality when you are favored by double digits?