• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Urban Meyer: 'Penn State deserved to be in playoff'

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoff shouldn't expand because it's not needed.

You guys are bitching over the 4th spot. Teams that basically just a throw in for the teams that actually deserve a chance at the title, which rarely exceeds 2 and never exceeds 3.

You are just looking for any excuse when in the end all you want is to make it easier for your team to make the playoffs and win on a hope and a prayer. But the truth is, it's not needed.

And you are fucking retarded if think playing an extra game in the playoffs doesn't benefit Alabama. You know, the team with the most depth, the team that would be better suited to play more games and still maintain it's strength over any team in the country.
iMjXHnn.gif

Again Expanding the play offs.And removing human polls and committees.Does not benefit teams like USC.The current format would.If I wanted a system that made things easier and favored SC I would be against expansion. To say otherwise would be asinine.Play off expansion with P5 conference championships and 3 at large bids .Raises the difficulty.And provides a concrete system which also compensates for variables. Its time to move past the flawed system and relying on brand names and hype. And the flawed poll systems that focus on 2 teams . And towards the most competitive play off system possible.

Extending the play offs doesn't benefit anyone as far as depth.If anything it raises the level of competition and parity as we have seen.Taking it to the next level further achieves the goal of a true champion

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This past year evermore proved it should expand.

Get off your high tower and stop pretending that the SEC champ and one other team are the only people that deserve a chance in the playoff.

The funny thing is you have yet to provide a reason why the football playoffs shouldn't be expanded but yet your are trying to argue for Ohio st making the playoffs.

GTFO with your last full retard statement. Alabama has to play an extra game, a chance for an extra loss. How in the hell does that benefit Alabama over playing no one? I'll wait for an answer to that question you'll never give me.
I agree.The extra game doesn't benefit one team. But that would mean we are looking at this from a perspective of team. I.e. What's best for ones favorite team in regards to brand. However it does benefit all teams as well as the sport. There is no legitimate debate against it. That is not based on opinion or what ifs.

However common logic dictates. By using a format based on auto bids to the P5 conference champions. Those play off spots are being decided on the field. And not based on questionable opinions of a committee etc. And the at large bids provide spots for teams that are viewed as strong teams. With the extra play off games and competition.Giving is a champion crowned based on the games played that is very difficult to dispute.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when the ignorant cornbread, beans and sweet tea swilling sheep told us that expanding to 4 teams couldn't and shouldn't be done. Ya ....

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and make P5 champions autobid, then kiss all these quality P5 matchups like Alabama vs FSU goodbye. Because there is no reason to play them. Everyone will circle around and the conference games will be all that matters. No need to risk the injury to your best players.

Conference strength/pride will be a thing of the past. It will no longer be beneficial for the bigger teams to help out the smaller teams of the conference with shared revenue. The easier the conference, the better. So there goes another slide in quality games.

Add more conference games while you are at. Keep the game regionalized and fuck the national matchups.

But sure, there are no good reasons no to expand. Total bullshit. The reality is, there is no longer any good reasons to expand, outside people crying about the 4th spot. And if you think there are many that deserve the 4th spot, wait until it's the 8th spot. Oh this conference got 2 or 3 teams in, it's ESPN bias, it's SEC bias, it's because they are a name. All your stupid shit continues.

Back in the day, it wasn't every year that #1 and #2 got to play. The BCS was good progress because for the first time in history, we were guarenteed to see those 2 play. Then there were a few years when 2 spots weren't enough and we needed room for 3 teams. So now we have expanded to 4 team playoffs, and that gives all 3 teams the chance they deserve.

Now you just want to expand for the sake of expanding, finding the most petty and dumb examples you can find to justify it. 2 loss Penn St is your flag ship for getting screwed? Who gives a fuck? Oh no, 2 loss Penn St didn't get a chance at the playoffs, lets all lose our shit.

Fuck that, it's all just excuses.
That's the same kind of drivel that was spewed by the Dixie sheep when people were asking for a four team playoff not all that long ago.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GTFO with your last full retard statement. Alabama has to play an extra game, a chance for an extra loss. How in the hell does that benefit Alabama over playing no one? I'll wait for an answer to that question you'll never give me.

Depth, dipshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the same kind of drivel that was spewed by the Dixie sheep when people were asking for a four team playoff not all that long ago.

The SEC has been pushing for a playoff for YEARS before the playoffs happened. The only other conference that would vote in favor of the playoffs with the SEC was the ACC.

It wasn't until the SEC started to dominate the BCS that your conferences wanted to expand.

As usual, you don't know your dick from a hole in the ground.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when the ignorant cornbread, beans and sweet tea swilling sheep told us that expanding to 4 teams couldn't and shouldn't be done. Ya ....

^just started following college football when Washington had success.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're really trying to argue that playing an extra game does not increase ones chances of losing over not playing? Really? You are this stupid?

Unless Alabama is the only one having to play the extra game, then the team with the most depth is the one that is best equiped to deal with the games.

If Alabama loses it's 1st game of the playoff, then is it any different than now? No.

If Alabama loses it's 2nd game of the playoff, then is it any different than now? No.

Only if Alabama loses the 3rd game of the playoff is there a difference, and the team best equipped to play that 3rd game is the team with the most depth.

So in the end, yes, it would benefit Alabama more.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree.The extra game doesn't benefit one team. But that would mean we are looking at this from a perspective of team. I.e. What's best for ones favorite team in regards to brand. However it does benefit all teams as well as the sport. There is no legitimate debate against it. That is not based on opinion or what ifs.

However common logic dictates. By using a format based on auto bids to the P5 conference champions. Those play off spots are being decided on the field. And not based on questionable opinions of a committee etc. And the at large bids provide spots for teams that are viewed as strong teams. With the extra play off games and competition.Giving is a champion crowned based on the games played that is very difficult to dispute.

I get what you are saying and agree to a point. But sometimes auto bids doesn't mean the best team makes it. Which unfortunately I agree with 4D on that.

But overall I agree that deciding it on the field is the best way then someone's opinion.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The playoff shouldn't expand because it's not needed.

You guys are bitching over the 4th spot. Teams that basically just a throw in for the teams that actually deserve a chance at the title, which rarely exceeds 2 and never exceeds 3.
The first year the playoff was implemented I heard a lot of talk about how it wasn't necessary because the top two teams were almost always really clear. That year the 4 seed won the title. Yeah, most of the time the 1 and 2 seeds will meet in the championship game, that's why they're seeded 1 and 2. But the committee and voters can get stuff wrong like they did three years ago with Ohio St.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Alabama is the only one having to play the extra game, then the team with the most depth is the one that is best equiped to deal with the games.

If Alabama loses it's 1st game of the playoff, then is it any different than now? No.

If Alabama loses it's 2nd game of the playoff, then is it any different than now? No.

Only if Alabama loses the 3rd game of the playoff is there a difference, and the team best equipped to play that 3rd game is the team with the most depth.

So in the end, yes, it would benefit Alabama more.

First, not every year is Alabama going to be equipped with the most depth. An you anointing Alabama as is shows your homeristic ways.

The first no.

The second, they'd be crowned playoffs champs if they win with the current system. Of course there is a huge difference in that 2nd playoff game. Only an idiot would argue that.

Again Alabama won't always have the most depth. But you can't always count on that if you do.

So in the end, NO. Alabama playing an extra game is not beneficial to Alabama playing no one.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying and agree to a point. But sometimes auto bids doesn't mean the best team makes it. Which unfortunately I agree with 4D on that.

But overall I agree that deciding it on the field is the best way then someone's opinion.
See I can respect that to a point.I do like the auto bids.Because it is a set standard rather than opinion.And I believe it would amplify the competition within conference.Basically you need to win the games on the field necessary to win your conference.The three at large bids balances what some may consider the best team out.By allowing said teams the opportunity at another chance to qualify through the at large.It balances out imo

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You wouldn't know 'facts' if they bit you in your ass.

It's ok, I don't blame you for not wanting to admit the conference you pimp out has acted like a bunch of pussies since 1946.

Does it also burn your ass knowing that Alabama still to this day ranks 6th on the all time Rose Bowl wins list, despite you only inviting Big10 teams since 1947? You know, after your conference was embarassed, yet again, by Alabama in 1946.

You took your ball and went home because you got embarassed, then you clung on to it as long as you could because you couldn't win on the field. Now you and other ignorant fans come around and strut around assuming you've always been on the right side of history, when it's been Alabama that's moved college football around at basically ever single turn.

So keep on hating.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, not every year is Alabama going to be equipped with the most depth. An you anointing Alabama as is shows your homeristic ways.

The first no.

True, and if you extend to 8 teams, Alabama would have made the playoffs every single year since 2010. We'd probably have even more national championships.

The second, they'd be crowned playoffs champs if they win with the current system. Of course there is a huge difference in that 2nd playoff game. Only an idiot would argue that.

You aren't understanding how odds work. If only Alabama was affected by these things, then Alabama's odds would decrease, just as you suggest. However, since this effect is applied to everyone, not just Alabama, then the team with the most depth will get the better odds. Alabama or otherwise.

Again Alabama won't always have the most depth. But you can't always count on that if you do.

So in the end, NO. Alabama playing an extra game is not beneficial to Alabama playing no one.

True, but you are assuming Alabama will always be in the top4 as your base for saying I'm against it. Can't have it both ways.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and make P5 champions autobid, then kiss all these quality P5 matchups like Alabama vs FSU goodbye. Because there is no reason to play them. Everyone will circle around and the conference games will be all that matters. No need to risk the injury to your best players.

Conference strength/pride will be a thing of the past. It will no longer be beneficial for the bigger teams to help out the smaller teams of the conference with shared revenue. The easier the conference, the better. So there goes another slide in quality games.

Add more conference games while you are at. Keep the game regionalized and fuck the national matchups.

But sure, there are no good reasons no to expand. Total bullshit. The reality is, there is no longer any good reasons to expand, outside people crying about the 4th spot. And if you think there are many that deserve the 4th spot, wait until it's the 8th spot. Oh this conference got 2 or 3 teams in, it's ESPN bias, it's SEC bias, it's because they are a name. All your stupid shit continues.

Back in the day, it wasn't every year that #1 and #2 got to play. The BCS was good progress because for the first time in history, we were guarenteed to see those 2 play. Then there were a few years when 2 spots weren't enough and we needed room for 3 teams. So now we have expanded to 4 team playoffs, and that gives all 3 teams the chance they deserve.

Now you just want to expand for the sake of expanding, finding the most petty and dumb examples you can find to justify it. 2 loss Penn St is your flag ship for getting screwed? Who gives a fuck? Oh no, 2 loss Penn St didn't get a chance at the playoffs, lets all lose our shit.

Fuck that, it's all just excuses.

We're not talking about making the P5 autobids the only way into the playoff. If you have at-large spots you still have to schedule well out of conference to get considered for that at-large if you don't win your conference. You could also argue that teams will still schedule well out of conference because they know they're not automatically eliminated from the playoff if they lose more than 1 game. I would think most programs would want to avoid playing three garbage teams that present no challenge before they go into conference play.

Not that I don't understand your argument, that's for sure a possible mindset some teams might have. But it seems like a bad strategy give that you're putting all your eggs in the conference championship basket.

All things considered I'm not sure an 8 team playoff would change much in regards to OOC scheduling.