• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Unnamed NFL executive

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL executive: Only Chip Kelly can make Sam Bradford a success | NJ.com

I am always skeptical of the "unnamed executive". If he was anyone at any high level of the food chain, he couldn't be bothered with the reporter. If he was anyone with a future, he probably wouldn't risk it. So it must be some low level executive, who somehow wants to curry favor with a media guy....Most likely in a PR department? or elsewhere where a media contact could be useful.

In either case, it's someone not willing to own their opinions. I think I would value the opinions of some yahoo on a message board with at least equal importance.

djm

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Kelly is right and Bradford has a great year. The Rams were not a good football and Bradford always seemed to be playing to overcome a deficit. I have no idea how this will turn out.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
U mad bro? I know you want everyone to lick Chip's balls and say everything he does is great. I suspect if the unnamed executive said Chip Kelly is a genius and Sam Bradford is the next Troy Aikman, you would not be complaining....

Looks like the same unnamed exec also told the reporter that Nelson Agholor is a #1 receiver and is going to be hot shit. Is he still a chump or do you believe that part since it's positive?

Eagles' No. 1 pick Nelson Agholor is a No. 1 receiver says NFL Executive | NJ.com

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I liked alot of what the guy said. I just hate the "unnamed executive" sourcing. Its a bunch of BS to make some low level PR guy at a team sound much more important than he is. I think your opinion is just as valid. Perhaps NJ.com should start quoting the "unnamed message board poster" in their articles. :)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agholor really could tear it up from day one. Can't wait to see what his role is. I'm hoping he's the acting #1. He has that type of explosion.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is somewhat brilliant in a ugly sort of way. You read Eckel's lead and you think..cool, inside info from someone in the know! I know I am sucked into it a little myself. But, In fact if you google Mark Eckel and anonymous, you get a host of hits. It seems to be Eckel's favorite ploy on a story. Knowing his opinion is useless, he simply finds his anonymous source to add some umph to his story.

But then you think about it a little and it doesn't make much sense? What self respecting NFL executive would do this? By virtue of his anonymity it suggests he is breaking confidence with his organization. For who? For What?

Why is this guy willing to risk his job by giving away his team's secrets to this reporter? And if he is not giving away inside info, why is he anonymous? Again, who would do this? The "NFL Executive" is either imaginary, useless or extremely stupid. Either way, I don't think I would put much stock in him one way or another.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those of us who have followed the Eagles for some time all know Mark Eckel is one of the least reliable Philly scribes around.

But he did report that the Eagles had soured on Foles prior to him getting hurt last year, and Foles subsequently got dealt, so he might have been on to something. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut or two...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clicked the link, saw the author and instantly knew I wasn't going to be presented with anything substantial. Eckel is a tool.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see the WR corps like this on passing downs:

Matthews in the slot.
Agholor wide.
Ertz as a wideout (replacing Cooper's blocking ability).
Sproles split out wide.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our best three wideouts are going to be Agholor and Matthews outside and Huff in the slot. But I suspect we won't see those three getting most of the work all season. We will see a committee of sorts with Cooper and Matthews probably getting the most snaps, followed by Agholor, Huff and Miles Austin.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I clicked the link, saw the author and instantly knew I wasn't going to be presented with anything substantial. Eckel is a tool.

Apologies to Eckel. Their weren't any substantial ideas presented in his articles, but he did offer us some hard data

"A year ago, Maclin played 87 percent of the offensive snaps and Cooper, who the coaching staff likes for his blocking ability, played 81 percent. Matthews, primarily in the slot, was on the field 65 percent of the time. It then dropped to Huff's 18 percent."

So...
  • Cooper was at 81% of snaps last year. Does that go up because Maclin is gone (please no) or does that go down because Cooper proved he doesn't offer much in the passing game?
  • Maclin's 87% have to be replaced. I would hope it is all replaced by Agholor.
  • Huff has to go up from 18% if he's anywhere near close to a worthy 3rd round pick (he might not be).
  • Matthews at 65% shouldn't repeat itself. That's the apparent floor (and that would be curious). He had a damn fine year for a rookie. You'd like to see him and Cooper flip playing time at an absolute minimum.

deerpathdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles are loaded with receiving weapons.

- Ertz could be a huge star and should be playing 85% of snaps at TE or WR.
- Matthews should get 85% plus as well.
- Agholor is a more shifty version of Maclin. Pencil him in for 85% plus as well.
- Huff and Sproles are both great weapons off the bench. Put them in the slot, backfield or out wide. Barring injury, neither one is likely to get more than 50% snaps, but expect big plays when they are there.
- Cooper and Austin are spare parts that can fill in in a pinch. Love the depth. Waste of money perhaps, but no one will care when they are needed and the team is in the playoff hunt.

This team will run more plays than any team in the league...perhaps by a wide margin. It may be better to look at the number of plays rather than percentage. By that measure, the Eagles may have arguably 7-8 starters in the skill positions.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our best three wideouts are going to be Agholor and Matthews outside and Huff in the slot. But I suspect we won't see those three getting most of the work all season. We will see a committee of sorts with Cooper and Matthews probably getting the most snaps, followed by Agholor, Huff and Miles Austin.

putting the smallest guy in the slot is suicide. Won't happen. They like having a big guy in the slot, with a TE running some of the same routes.

sproles is truly the most under utilized weapon. We really should run more 2 RB sets with our ability to both run it with quality weapons and sproles in there as a solid runner and receiver.

mklugs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
putting the smallest guy in the slot is suicide. Won't happen. They like having a big guy in the slot, with a TE running some of the same routes.

sproles is truly the most under utilized weapon. We really should run more 2 RB sets with our ability to both run it with quality weapons and sproles in there as a solid runner and receiver.

Chip will keep changing up the looks all year at WR. He will want to run his play-packages out of a variety of formations.

Huff will likely see time outside and in the slot (though he still has a lot to prove). Using Matthews in the slot was the best way to get him involved in the offense quickly last season. He'll be outside a lot more this year. Chip went out of his way to say that Agholor can play inside and outside when he drafted him, so he'll likely want to move him all around the field.

Sproles will be used in much the same way as last year. Sparingly, but with great effect. Chip wants to keep Sproles fresh so he can continue to make game changing plays. He doesn't want him in the game as a blocker. He'll use his big backs to carry the load.