• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

United Stated States Open - Oakmont

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finals thoughts on the '16 USO.

I didn't think Lowery would hold up under the pressure, and the cracks started showing early as #1 is a beast of a hole anyway.

In spite of taking on a ton of rain which made scoring a little easier, but I thought the old course held up well, tough but very fair...A lot of guys had a very good shot at it (Sergio, Piercy, Lowery) but the best player was definitely Dustin Johnson. The big names in the world rankings that made the cut...Spieth +9, Day +2, Bubba +12...Day was the only one to make any kind of a run at the leaders, but it was derailed on #17.

Not to be redundant on this. He never grounded the putter behind the ball, but by the new letter of the rule, they were within their right to assess a penalty... That said, the USGA should be ashamed of the way they handled the ball moving on #5 for D. Johnson. They knew they were going to penalize the player...they should've just told him that much earlier...you don't wait 7 holes later to do that and then say we're going to review it again after the round. It not only screwed with DJ's head, the challengers were told as well and they didn't know if they were down 1 shot, 2 shots, etc...the gallery didn't know unless they were able to get the TV feed somehow...that was really bad.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finals thoughts on the '16 USO.

I didn't think Lowery would hold up under the pressure, and the cracks started showing early as #1 is a beast of a hole anyway.

In spite of taking on a ton of rain which made scoring a little easier, but I thought the old course held up well, tough but very fair...A lot of guys had a very good shot at it (Sergio, Piercy, Lowery) but the best player was definitely Dustin Johnson. The big names in the world rankings that made the cut...Spieth +9, Day +2, Bubba +12...Day was the only one to make any kind of a run at the leaders, but it was derailed on #17.

Not to be redundant on this. He never grounded the putter behind the ball, but by the new letter of the rule, they were within their right to assess a penalty... That said, the USGA should be ashamed of the way they handled the ball moving on #5 for D. Johnson. They knew they were going to penalize the player...they should've just told him that much earlier...you don't wait 7 holes later to do that and then say we're going to review it again after the round. It not only screwed with DJ's head, the challengers were told as well and they didn't know if they were down 1 shot, 2 shots, etc...the gallery didn't know unless they were able to get the TV feed somehow...that was really bad.

Every time I watched it he only grounded it on his practice putt, not at address.

When he addressed the ball the putter looked to be clear from the ground. Those greens were triple cut and rolled and he was sitting on a slope, so it doesn't surprise me it rolled a bit.

I cannot say for certain that it wasn't DJs weight on the ground that caused it to move or not. Ended up not mattering anyways, but I feel like they got the call wrong and they handled the situation wrong as well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I watched it he only grounded it on his practice putt, not at address.

When he addressed the ball the putter looked to be clear from the ground. Those greens were triple cut and rolled and he was sitting on a slope, so it doesn't surprise me it rolled a bit.

I cannot say for certain that it wasn't DJs weight on the ground that caused it to move or not. Ended up not mattering anyways, but I feel like they got the call wrong and they handled the situation wrong as well.

Yep, he never grounded behind the ball from what I could see either ...when David Faye came on and either read or paraphrased the amended rule...he felt like in the USGA's eyes "the actions" that DJ was taking near the ball caused the ball to move.

So when the rules guy asked DJ...what else could've cause the ball to move?...he didn't have an answer only to say he didn't cause it to move...they were nailing him as cause at that point.

IMO, that's BS, because he didn't do anything out of the ordinary.

That was only part of it...if they decided DJ caused the ball to move, they simply should've said that maybe a hole or two later at most...not 7 holes and then say we'll deal with it after the round...I didn't/don't get that at all.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching replay.....damn paulina looks good. who was the winners skank girlfriend in the cut offs in some tourney last year?

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching replay.....damn paulina looks good. who was the winners skank girlfriend in the cut offs in some tourney last year?

upload_2016-6-20_10-28-6.png

You mean this one? Ricky Fowler's GF.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin Johnson was the best player, and deservedly won this US Open. As Sunday began, I really did wonder about some sort of historical collapse when considering a lot of the guys at the top were 0 for whatever in majors...DJ, Sergio, Westwood. Gotta give Johnson a lot of credit for not just hanging on, but really separating himself even with all the nonsense around him.

That nonsense, was the USGA. I don't think they coulda botched this thing up any worse, and they are truly lucky that Johnson widened the lead to where it mattered little. Not only did they lack consistency with that ruling, they obviously should've just enforced the penalty ASAP, and let everyone run from there. Of course, there shouldn't be any penalty in the first place, but watching the telecast, you got a sense that was the direction they were going in.

The Fox broadcast is still not a good matchup for golf. It was a bit better than last year, but it does pale in comparison with the former NBC crew. As for Oakmont itself...I think they got a bit lucky with the rain early in the week, because those greens looked ready to explode. I'm not a big fan of some of the US Open setups as sometimes when trying to expose players, the course just gets away from them. As it was, Oakmont was a winner.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the dude won; not a big fan of his, other than watching him smoke balls off the tee...but alcohol/drug problems are something I can easily look past, as long as the person is making an effort to deal with it. And that's something he's done.

As for all the rumors about sleeping with other guys women, etc., well they are just rumors I suspect. The only ones who know for sure are him and the women, and that's on them.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at one point walking up the steps, Fox put the subtle blur on screen, at the appropriate place.

It was very subtle and hard to see, but they did it. As I was watching, I thought they probably did it because something had been visible for some fraction of a second, so they brought out the 'blur'.

yeah i am sure they didn't want to get fined by the fcc. She certainly knew what she was doing!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dustin Johnson was the best player, and deservedly won this US Open. As Sunday began, I really did wonder about some sort of historical collapse when considering a lot of the guys at the top were 0 for whatever in majors...DJ, Sergio, Westwood. Gotta give Johnson a lot of credit for not just hanging on, but really separating himself even with all the nonsense around him.

That nonsense, was the USGA. I don't think they coulda botched this thing up any worse, and they are truly lucky that Johnson widened the lead to where it mattered little. Not only did they lack consistency with that ruling, they obviously should've just enforced the penalty ASAP, and let everyone run from there. Of course, there shouldn't be any penalty in the first place, but watching the telecast, you got a sense that was the direction they were going in.

The Fox broadcast is still not a good matchup for golf. It was a bit better than last year, but it does pale in comparison with the former NBC crew. As for Oakmont itself...I think they got a bit lucky with the rain early in the week, because those greens looked ready to explode. I'm not a big fan of some of the US Open setups as sometimes when trying to expose players, the course just gets away from them. As it was, Oakmont was a winner.

I'm a different breed I guess when it comes to the announcing teams in all sports really...I like Johnny Miller's candidness so I missed that a little, but I was okay with Fox...I'll probably never like Curtis Strange's drawl, but really glad Faxon stepped up on the USGA issue. Holly Sonders is made up as all get up, but has kept that body looking hot, decent job setting the table for the analyst. The mic in the cup is a little corny, but to hear a bit of the green conversation was cool.

Oakmont most of the players felt like the greens speed came back, but the firmness didn't...the practice rounds played totally different than the championship...especially on the greens that sloped away and players were trying to land short of the green or on the very front...if the rain hadn't come...over par in the range of '07 would probably have won again.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a different breed I guess when it comes to the announcing teams in all sports really...I like Johnny Miller's candidness so I missed that a little, but I was okay with Fox...I'll probably never like Curtis Strange's drawl, but really glad Faxon stepped up on the USGA issue. Holly Sonders is made up as all get up, but has kept that body looking hot, decent job setting the table for the analyst. The mic in the cup is a little corny, but to hear a bit of the green conversation was cool.

Miller is awesome...always liked his candor. About the only thing that really got me interested in the Fox telecast was the penalty...I did like how Azinger/Faxon thought it was a complete joke. The mic in the cup is corny....but no different than the mics in the water on the 17th at TPC Sawgrass. Maybe they need a few more years, but the problem is that Fox only does one tournament a year, whereas CBS/NBC do it on a weekly basis so they iron out issues much faster.

Oh well...good thing that Oakmont as it ended up was the star of the show.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I really did like about the FOX broadcast was the shot tracker.. Thought that was pretty cool... It's pretty hard to follow a golf ball on tv so it's cool to see that....

Hell I can't even see it when I hit my own shots, lol