• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UNC Cheating Scandal Response

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the blue bloods will never get the death penalty handed down. they may get hit, but they will never get the death penalty.

I guess I should have read further before my last post.

Here's the deal with programs like that. The Death penalty would not only destroy the program (for several years more than likely) it would also take a boatload of money out of the NCAA hand's as well. So in that regard, I would agree with you 100%.

That said, I believe the death penalty is outdated anyway. Hit the university financially, restrict recruiting and scholarships, tv time, post season play and so on, but let them play with a bunch of walk-on's so they get absolutely destroyed every game. To me, that would be the way to go.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's the deal with programs like that. The Death penalty would not only destroy the program (for several years more than likely) it would also take a boatload of money out of the NCAA hand's as well. So in that regard, I would agree with you 100%.

That said, I believe the death penalty is outdated anyway. Hit the university financially, restrict recruiting and scholarships, tv time, post season play and so on, but let them play with a bunch of walk-on's so they get absolutely destroyed every game. To me, that would be the way to go.

"let them play with a bunch of walk-on's so they get absolutely destroyed every game."

Ohio State will let you know how that turns out next season.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You give them the death penalty, wouldn't they lose money anyway? if you can't provide a team I can't imagine you'd be allowed keep that piece of the pie. Especially if any football players were involved in this. Take away football money from the University. The entire athletic department hits the red, they'l have to destroy their women's sports to match-up in Title IX. It would destroy UNC athletics in general.

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You give them the death penalty, wouldn't they lose money anyway? if you can't provide a team I can't imagine you'd be allowed keep that piece of the pie. Especially if any football players were involved in this. Take away football money from the University. The entire athletic department hits the red, they'l have to destroy their women's sports to match-up in Title IX. It would destroy UNC athletics in general.

Yes, but my point was more along the lines of how much "more" money the NCAA would miss out on from a big time program like UNC/UK/Duke and so on with a death penalty opposed to just harsh punishment while still allowing them to play.

This based more on opinion than fact so take it for what its worth.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but my point was more along the lines of how much "more" money the NCAA would miss out on from a big time program like UNC/UK/Duke and so on with a death penalty opposed to just harsh punishment while still allowing them to play.

This based more on opinion than fact so take it for what its worth.

I'm curious how much support they'd end up getting if they ended up with 12 walk ons.

You know they'd be awful and go 0-22....would people keep showing up?

UKnation87

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm curious how much support they'd end up getting if they ended up with 12 walk ons.

You know they'd be awful and go 0-22....would people keep showing up?

I'm sure they would still show up. UK was hit pretty hard for supposedly paying a kid (Chris Mills) like $1,000 back in the 80's. It's a pretty funny story now to look back on considering how the the envelope magically "came open" with the cash in it and someone turned it into the NCAA.

Anyway, I can recall going to Rupp and it still being packed with fans cheering on the Cats and they were bad so again, I could see people showing up to see the other team(s) if nothing else.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything less than the death penalty is an incorrect answer.

UConn got hammered for having too many players leave early for the NBA.

This is legit decades of fraud.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State's mascot, Mr. Wuf, trolled UNC on Twitter the other day, but the tweet has since been removed:

NC State apologizes for Mr. Wuf’s social media jab at UNC and its NCAA hearing

imrs.php

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything less than the death penalty is far too light.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Charlotte Observer: "The NCAA ignored a rule that could have punished UNC":

Charlotte Observer said:
But while the NCAA quietly removed 10.1(b), it added a provision requiring an institution to determine whether academic wrongdoing or fraud had occurred. Despite these rule changes coming after the UNC conduct had occurred, the NCAA applied this gaping new loophole to the UNC case and bemoaned the fact that it now had to find the university not guilty. UNC, having once deemed the classes academic wrongdoing and fraud, now claimed ownership of the classes and said they didn’t violate any UNC policies. The NCAA bought the argument, then claimed that it had little choice but to find there was no violation.