• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UM Football Recruits 2014 and beyond

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott will announce soon, but everyone is thinking Clemson now... wouldn't be a big surprise considering their passing attack...
As a college football fan, I think that is a great fit for him. As a Michigan fan, I refuse to believe it. We need him.

I refuse to believe that JJ will pick MSU tomorrow...
The only thing that would surprise me is if he pick Michigan.

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing that would surprise me is if he pick Michigan.

Couldn't agree more. I think he will pick the buckeyes.

I am really happy that Scott is announcing early. Even though he recently enjoyed his visit to Clemson I believe Michigan is the school for him. My thinking was the longer he would drag out his recruitment the less likely he would leave Florida. Also it would be heartbreaking to see another great receiver prospect pick Clemson over us....

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard Jamarco Jones has verbaled for Ohio. Long shot for UM to get him, but you can always hope. :cool:

Wish the kid well.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish the kid well.

...didn't hear his presser but I hope he realizes he will lose at least one game per year.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also want Scott in this class, but the fact that he is announcing so soon after his Clemson visit which he praised, and before the BBQ is all I need to know... the dude is going to Clemson. KJ Williams will probably end up at Syracuse... Freddy Canteen come on down...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this what Wolverines have been hoping for?

Will it still work?

I want to believe.

Is this the future of Michigan?

Last edited by a moderator:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess WRs weren't needed 18 years ago......I know were all about getting big, but this could back fire being slow.

I don't think you can line up 8 strong fat boys and play the 3 yards and cloud of dust, nowadays...We shall see if this is Hoke's tactic.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st, Loved watching clips, thanks.

In the above game we see a classic example of "if they can't stop it, keep doing it." Perhaps someone with access to the stats can find the actual figures, but I don't recall T. B. carrying it that many times, that successfully, in a whole lot of games. If they were hitting the WRs or TE w/ that kinda success, they'd have probably kept doing that, too. We might be watching a 300 yd receiver instead of a 300 RB in that game, instead.

Its not like they didn't have anyone who could catch, I saw Tai Streets and (TE) Remersma out there. I recall them catching a lot of balls over the course of the season. Not recalling who the other recievers were on that team, but seems Tai wasn;t all by hisself out there running routes, and catching balls.

I also saw Runyan out there and as I recall, that was an esp. high achieving OLine - even by UM's standards. Again, someone with access to stats can verify or refute. I'm running on memory and I've slept since then.

Will it work today? Sure, if you've got the kinda OLine and RB UM had that day, and a Tai Streets and Remersma to keep the Passing threat alive. It helps if you can get the Defense to miss tackles like the 'Nuts (uncharacteristically) did that day.

Great Defense, a controlling ground game behind a punishing OLine, a couple ball catchers you can count on, and Great spec teams will work. Seems some guy down south uses that approach pretty well.

Is that game where UM is headed? Recruiting suggests that returning to the days of getting superior talent on the field is definitely part of the plan. Returning to a superior running game / Defense / Spec teams is, too (Spec teams - esp. kicking/ punting - fell apart under Carr, never understood why).

But, from what we saw in the last part of the season after the QB change, and the general approach of the west coast system as being QB friendly... I expect to see plenty of balls in the air for those who can't live w/out the pass. To attract the superior talents at WR, the ball's gotta be in the air or the HS recruits are going elsewhere.

If I were a betting man, I'd say Borgess is gonna be showing off what his system can do for QB's, TE's and WR's if they'll come to UM. He was hand-cuffed somewhat by DRob. That's within the context of each individual game, itself, of course. He's not gonna blow a game just to prove a point [some of us older Lions fans recall Mouse Davis throwing when he shoulda handed off to Barry - his system was more important than anything else, even winning from the way it looked].

I expect a lot of Peyton Manning-like play action deep, TE's all over the place, a ton of 3 step quick hitters, and 5 step roll-outs to the flats and deep 1/3rd (if the arm is there - I think both DG and Shane have it). And a lot more shot-gun than we saw in the above clip.

Overall, I expect a lot more [and more sophisticated] passing than RR did, and I think Borgess may have a bit of a chip on his shoulder over the criticism he's taken while (wisely and patiently) trying to play to the player's strengths instead of getting to play in his wheel-house.

Of course, a lot of that may depend on keeping DG healthy, if a comfort zone is not found in the back-up qb, the game plan may be dictated by not putting DG at excessive risk.

My $0.02 worth, we'll see how it develops over the next 3-4 seasons.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in that game OSU's front got absolutely mauled... it all starts in the trenches...

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding our recruiting and it all stems from Scott. If Scott isn't on team 135 I am still excited for the future of this team. I fell like the fan base needs to remember that there is still plenty of hope for the future with our team and when one top prospect goes off the board another one rises up and new ones come on. The BBQ is next month and I like our chances of getting a commitment from some of our prospects.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a lot of negativity surrounding our recruiting and it all stems from Scott. If Scott isn't on team 135 I am still excited for the future of this team. I fell like the fan base needs to remember that there is still plenty of hope for the future with our team and when one top prospect goes off the board another one rises up and new ones come on. The BBQ is next month and I like our chances of getting a commitment from some of our prospects.

Huh?

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he meant that we missed on JJ and will probably miss on Scott, Westphal, and Jackson... but I see no reason for panic...

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU has their own board but yet this one buckeye spends a lot of time talking on a Michigan board. I have nor will I ever go onto the OSU board to say anything. My point was the posters seem to have a down in the dumps attitude because the odds of Scott picking us aren't favorable. We will find another receiver if Scott decides he doesn't want to be a Wolverine.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OSU has their own board but yet this one buckeye spends a lot of time talking on a Michigan board. I have nor will I ever go onto the OSU board to say anything. My point was the posters seem to have a down in the dumps attitude because the odds of Scott picking us aren't favorable. We will find another receiver if Scott decides he doesn't want to be a Wolverine.

It is often good to have some perspective. As long as the name calling doesn't appear I actually welcome the debate.

I haven't sensed or read anything that has been negative on this class. Fans will always be disappointed when a highly-ranked recruit doesn't come our way but I don't think there are many that have an issue with him choosing Clemson over us. Chad Morris is a hot commodity right now and Scott fits in perfectly there.

Coyote57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... I kinda think I get what Blue1012 is getting at, I think he's over reacting some, to several posts about Hoke preferring slow Receviers, to fast ones, in an effort to get slower and bigger. [I know that's not exactly the way it was put, but I can see how it can come across that way] The perception may be taken from such comments, added to those about Scott being superior because he is small, but fast, that if UM doesn't land Scott, the whole class is bust, b/c its gonna be too slow to compete. Only by landing Thoroughbred Scott can this lost class of plow horses and nags be saved. I think maybe that's how he's perceived the comments, and I can kinda sympathize with the sentiment. Not to put words in your mouth Blue, but is this close to what your feeling?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmm... I kinda think I get what Blue1012 is getting at, I think he's over reacting some, to several posts about Hoke preferring slow Receviers, to fast ones, in an effort to get slower and bigger. [I know that's not exactly the way it was put, but I can see how it can come across that way] The perception may be taken from such comments, added to those about Scott being superior because he is small, but fast, that if UM doesn't land Scott, the whole class is bust, b/c its gonna be too slow to compete. Only by landing Thoroughbred Scott can this lost class of plow horses and nags be saved. I think maybe that's how he's perceived the comments, and I can kinda sympathize with the sentiment. Not to put words in your mouth Blue, but is this close to what your feeling?

HUH?

Blue1012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was the posters seem to have a down in the dumps attitude because the odds of Scott picking us aren't favorable. We will find another receiver if Scott decides he doesn't want to be a Wolverine.

Coyote, I don't know if you read this later post but this is what I meant in the initial post that caused the confusion.

nonbcsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well looks like Ferry Canteen and Brandon Watson have committed... since they received their offers while in a Michigan camp, we'll have to trust the coaches' evaluations of them... welcome aboard gentlemen...

I think this pretty much confirms that Scott, Jackson, and Westphal will be playing elsewhere...

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this pretty much confirms that Scott, Jackson, and Westphal will be playing elsewhere...

...either that or Hoke & Co. just weren't willing to roll the dice and end up with nothing.