• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Uh Oh... Randy Gregory

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the ACT really does is test how good you are at taking tests... it supposedly measures intelligence, but given time contstraints and methodology of questioning it fails miserably (don't worry, all standardized tests do). You can be dumber than a box of rocks and get a 25+ on your ACT just because you prepared for it properly.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lel irule.....

ACT measures what you learned in school...........aka what you memorized in school.

School is nothing more than a place to go to and have someone pound shit into your head over and over again......and if you decided that you want to remember it then you'll go home and read the textbook that they give you........and ultimately you'll do well on tests like the ACT and probably even get a scholarship because of it.

IQ exam measures your ability to actually think logically and solve problems. You will not be necessarily familiar with anything on an IQ exam like you would an ACT exam........but you must use your common sense to solve problems quickly. And that is true intelligence.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'm saying is........

If the President of the US alerts the country and says, "the world is going to end tomorrow unless something is done....here is the problem...."

Assuming he explains the problem, the kid who got a 35 on his ACT is going to be sitting there with his thumb up his ass thinking back to what he learned in History class or how well he can Read and point out important words.......

But the kid who can think logically......who can think outside of a comfortable situation......who can solve problems quantitatevely..........it is he who will be the hero, for he is intelligent.

I'm not saying that person is me. I'm just saying, there is Albert Einstein..........and then there is the kid who memorized way too much shit in school and it will never get him anywhere.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes,.there is a difference between being book smart and having actual intelligence. Book smart is just regurgitating where intelligence is actually analyzing and solving problems.
The last three of my eight years in the military were teaching radar in the classroom (books) and hands-on troubleshooting and alignments on the actual equipment. I had one kid from Georgia who would panic the moment I dropped a written test in front of him. It was all memorization stuff that he knew during regular class time. In labs when we would troubleshoot and align the system he ran circles around the guys who routinely aced their written tests.
The other guys looked better on paper, but I'd rather have the one guy who couldn't pass a written test to save his life working next to me in real life trying to solve a radar problem. Labs were not part of the overall grade, but I made sure to pass the kid anyway with a 70%.

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lel irule.....

ACT measures what you learned in school...........aka what you memorized in school.

School is nothing more than a place to go to and have someone pound shit into your head over and over again......and if you decided that you want to remember it then you'll go home and read the textbook that they give you........and ultimately you'll do well on tests like the ACT and probably even get a scholarship because of it.

IQ exam measures your ability to actually think logically and solve problems. You will not be necessarily familiar with anything on an IQ exam like you would an ACT exam........but you must use your common sense to solve problems quickly. And that is true intelligence.
Although.... people with high IQs are often pretty good at retaining information... and score well on tests like the ACT. Not all, but most.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes,.there is a difference between being book smart and having actual intelligence. Book smart is just regurgitating where intelligence is actually analyzing and solving problems.
The last three of my eight years in the military were teaching radar in the classroom (books) and hands-on troubleshooting and alignments on the actual equipment. I had one kid from Georgia who would panic the moment I dropped a written test in front of him. It was all memorization stuff that he knew during regular class time. In labs when we would troubleshoot and align the system he ran circles around the guys who routinely aced their written tests.
The other guys looked better on paper, but I'd rather have the one guy who couldn't pass a written test to save his life working next to me in real life trying to solve a radar problem. Labs were not part of the overall grade, but I made sure to pass the kid anyway with a 70%.

Agreed.

Although.... people with high IQs are often pretty good at retaining information... and score well on tests like the ACT. Not all, but most.

That is a good point. Sometimes intelligence causes more nerves though and kids tend to do poorly on timed exams because they overanalyze everything.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically i can converse intelligently with people who got higher ACT scores..

And not so much with those of lower scores

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Typically i can converse intelligently with people who got higher ACT scores..

And not so much with those of lower scores

Typically people with very high IQ's are very difficult to converse with......it's a proven fact.

Social awkwardness and intelligence go hand-in-hand. You ever try to talk with the folks in the computer or electrical engineering department? It sounds like they're speaking a different language and shit.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I fail socially according to JJM? I test off the charts. Not bragging, I just do.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I fail socially according to JJM? I test off the charts. Not bragging, I just do.

The majority of highly intelligent people are awkward socially......that doesn't mean every one of them is, but it is a proven fact that intelligence causes people to think too much before speaking whereas some people have the ability to just naturally let it roll off their tongue.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The majority of highly intelligent people are awkward socially......that doesn't mean every one of them is, but it is a proven fact that intelligence causes people to think too much before speaking whereas some people have the ability to just naturally let it roll off their tongue.

and now we know why JJM isn't socially awkward

BigRedMoe

Highly Polished Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to go watch Judge Wapner now...
dustin-hoffman-in-rainman.gif

Footballnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this thread certainly took an interesting turn

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am actually very much in the same boat as ye Brasky.....

My IQ is "estimated" to be very high........but I am normal socially speaking and have a bunch of friends and all that jazz.

Working with the engineering kids at UNL, however, taught me that intelligence leads to issues......and most of them are of the social variety. Some odd ducks working in that department I tell ya