• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UDFA OUT Charles Walker

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thread title should be UDFA OU DT Charles Walker Signed.

Sounds like Kiper liked him.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No risk, potential reward. Nothing wrong with that.

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented player, but has a serious history of concussions and I read an article that he still suffers some lingering effects to this day. Hopefully things work out for him - if he can stay healthy, he's got a legit shot at making the team because he has 1st-2nd round talent based off of physical ability alone.

old duke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a very good signing. If he works out, we will have a very deep d-line. And, we have the same thing on the o-line.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a history of depression in addition to the concussions, but yes, he is a talented player if he can get it all together.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever notice that there are at least a couple dozen guys who are "first round talents if not for . . ." in every draft? Where do these experts come up with this stuff?

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ever notice that there are at least a couple dozen guys who are "first round talents if not for . . ." in every draft? Where do these experts come up with this stuff?

There seemed to be a lot in this year's draft. Whether it was a medical or off-field concern, more than usual. Could be a boom-or-bust draft for a lot of teams that took those type of players (I'm hoping for BOOM with Sidney Jones of course)

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good competition on the Dline. That's going to be a really good unit for us.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a history of depression in addition to the concussions, but yes, he is a talented player if he can get it all together.
One article seems to think he got that figured out during his down time when he went on Prozac. I dont know how long he has had depression but one of the issues with concussions and certain people who have suffered (Ive suffered 9) is it can lead to depression. I find it funny that OU was so quick to say he quit on the team but if he was having concussion symptoms and depression problems I can't blame him there are some things more important then football and depression is no joke. Now if he didnt tell them I can see why they might have thought he quit.. however he might not have wanted to tip off teams as to his condition.

iceman42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PHILADELPHIA -- Oklahoma defensive tackle Charles Walker has battled depression his entire life. He just didn't know it until he left school and declared for the NFL Draft.

This is according to letters from Walker and his doctor, Ashley Benjamin, MD, recently sent to teams. Benjamin wrote, "based on my military, coaching, and sport psychiatry backgrounds, I believe that Mr. Walker's depression is currently in full remission and is not a limitation for NFL-level competition."

Walker has been on the phone, telling teams he is a changed man thanks to the diagnosis.

Walker exited Oklahoma amid some controversy, immediately declaring for the draft in November and drawing criticism from coach Bob Stoops. He is considered a mid-round pick.

He reportedly battled concussions in his final season, though doctors now think some of the symptoms believed to be concussion-related were actually from depression.

Walker has been taking low-dose medication for his ailment, writing to teams to let them know how different his life has become.

"I am excited and anxious to get back on the football field because now that my Depression is under control with the medication (Prozac) that I am taking," Walker wrote. "I have never been more HUNGRY to get back after it. To strap up my pads and leave it all on the field. Play in and Play out."

Walker told teams he thinks he's suffered from depression for years. He was evaluated by Benjamin on Dec. 21 as part of a peak-performance screening done with all athletes at his training facility. He had three follow-up exams.

"Overall, he described improved mood, no anhedonia or loss of interest or motivation problems," Benjamin said. "In addition, he felt the medication improves his sleep, appetite, and concentration, memory and focus."

Walker reported no side effects and said the medication has helped him on the field.

"As a former Air Force and current sport psychiatrist, as well as a former collegiate track and field coach with an M.A. in Exercise Science, I understand the impact that untreated depression can have on performance," Benjamin wrote. "I also appreciate the bias that exists against antidepressants. Many athletes perform on anti-anxiety and concentration sustaining medications."

In his letter, Walker told teams he is not a quitter, has never been in trouble, and will never be a distraction. But mostly, he wanted to inform teams of his recent discovery: "I am ready, committed and hungry."

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe he can have a solid nfl career and deal with the depression through medication and will get much better help here also.

I do NOT believe his depression is in full remission. I didn't realize depression goes into remission (unless they are saying it is being treated and managed - but that would not be "remission.") This sounds like documentation just for the sake of helping his career. And if they are indeed saying remission, that would tell me it is not yet taken care of. Sounds like avoidance instead of being dealt with.

All of that said, this is a depth signing with all the pressure on him to earn himself a roster spot and work his way into playing time. Good signing. no downside. I wish the kid well in life, and hope he is as good as some seem to think. PHI is a great place to be for the underdog.