• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tyrann Mathieu, Cardinals Agree Upon Five-Year, $62.5M Extension

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad this is done. Now Calais' extension needs to get done.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Palmer extended for 1 more year for $24 million and Fitz gets another year for $11 million. I like extending both these guys, even though both may be playing their last years of football with those years, but I'm wondering when the Cards run out of money?

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards have about $2 mil in space using the offseason top top 51 cap. They are going to be cutting it close when you go to the regular season 53 man roster & practice squad, when have to add those salaries to their cap.

CC's cap hit is $15+ mil, so I believe they will get an extension done in the next week to lower that as much as possible. I also think there are more than a few guys in the top 51 who will be replaced with slightly cheaper options.

The 2017 cap is the one to worry about. I figure we have about $40 mil in space if the cap reaches $165 mil & DWash is finely cut with minimal penalty. They have a lot of big salary decisions to make then.

Jones - $17 mil range
CC - $10 mil range
Floyd - $10 mil range

That leaves decisions on Okafor, Jefferson, Ellington, & Minter, along with a host of other guys. And we either resign Watford to start at RG or we have to find a guy.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cards have about $2 mil in space using the offseason top top 51 cap. They are going to be cutting it close when you go to the regular season 53 man roster & practice squad, when have to add those salaries to their cap.

CC's cap hit is $15+ mil, so I believe they will get an extension done in the next week to lower that as much as possible. I also think there are more than a few guys in the top 51 who will be replaced with slightly cheaper options.

The 2017 cap is the one to worry about. I figure we have about $40 mil in space if the cap reaches $165 mil & DWash is finely cut with minimal penalty. They have a lot of big salary decisions to make then.

Jones - $17 mil range
CC - $10 mil range
Floyd - $10 mil range

That leaves decisions on Okafor, Jefferson, Ellington, & Minter, along with a host of other guys. And we either resign Watford to start at RG or we have to find a guy.

I'm fine with parting ways with Ellington for cap purposes if need be. We have the two Johnsons and just shouldn't be spending more than the bare minimum on a 3rd RB. I wasn't that impressed with Minter...like him for depth though.

Floyd is interesting. Is he worth $10 million? He's got elite talent, is getting paid close to elite money, but never seems to have an elite season. Might be a guy to at least shop for a trade.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd is going to get paid by somebody. Ellington's salary for 2016 is low, so he won't be going anywhere this season. It's next season that is in question with CJ2k a year older FA. Minter was much improved last season. He shed some weight & gained some speed. He is the only true ILB on the roster. He finished last season with 94 tackles, which is pretty good considering all the sub packages the Cards play.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Hulk" restructured his contract to free up $4 mil for 2016. Basically, they converted $6 mil of his 2016 salary into a roster bonus, cutting him an immediate check for $6 mil, thus spreading out the cap hit over 3 years.

I know we are in "win now" mode, but it's starting to feel like the Steelers cap situation from a few years ago. It's not really that bad, but...

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The Hulk" restructured his contract to free up $4 mil for 2016. Basically, they converted $6 mil of his 2016 salary into a roster bonus, cutting him an immediate check for $6 mil, thus spreading out the cap hit over 3 years.

I know we are in "win now" mode, but it's starting to feel like the Steelers cap situation from a few years ago. It's not really that bad, but...

Yeah, I agree. As a fan, I'm okay with that for now. Super Bowl or bust this year.

Odds makers vary, but Cards are always in the Top 5 so far as most likely SB winners.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the year! They have the talent and depth. Stay healthy and bring us a Lobardi. We have suffered long enough.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the year! They have the talent and depth. Stay healthy and bring us a Lobardi. We have suffered long enough.

No doubt. I feel like the suffering was over a while ago when the team simply became really good and relevant.

Being a fan of too many terrible teams to count that are garbage year in and year out, I feel blessed the Cards are just legit and playing playoff games. Of course, seeing how they could have gone further the past few years, I've begrudgingly upped my standard for them.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt. I feel like the suffering was over a while ago when the team simply became really good and relevant.

Being a fan of too many terrible teams to count that are garbage year in and year out, I feel blessed the Cards are just legit and playing playoff games. Of course, seeing how they could have gone further the past few years, I've begrudgingly upped my standard for them.
You and me both. I'm all in (peep the avi). This is the deepest, most talented team in the NFL and they should win the SB this year. As you have stated before, nothing we say will contribute to the outcome of the season for the Cards. All the doubters can eat shit. I'm calling it now Cards will be SB champs!!

Hey kook aid!!