• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tubby Smith new Memphis HC

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great hire for Memphis IMO. I think Tubby is very underrated. Just look at Minnesota prior and post to Tubby...train wreck.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great hire for Memphis IMO. I think Tubby is very underrated. Just look at Minnesota prior and post to Tubby...train wreck.

I can't give smith many props. He was decent at Georgia and peaked with a Rick Patino team while at UK in 98. Since then he's done nothing.

His assistants will be Pooh Williamson, Joe Esposito and Saul Smith -- all three of whom were with Smith at Texas Tech. He left with a 46 - 50 record over three years. Though he did get 19 wins last year.

This isn't too big of a deal, but it seems things are not kicking off on the right foot at Memphis either.

Memphis' Tubby Smith reassigns assistant which could interest NCAA

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope he doesn't make his debut like he did at TTU.

Smith was born in Scotland, Maryland, in Saint Mary's County, the sixth of 17 children born to sharecroppers Guffrie and Parthenia Smith. His large family accounts for his unusual nickname. Of all the Smith children, Tubby was most fond of staying in the galvanized washtub where the children were bathed. Smith says he tried to shake the moniker several times, but it stuck incessantly. He recalls that a 10th grade teacher who didn't tolerate nicknames was the last person to call him by his proper name, Orlando.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a decent coach but nothing overly special. See if he can find some success in Memphis.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't give smith many props. He was decent at Georgia and peaked with a Rick Patino team while at UK in 98. Since then he's done nothing.

His assistants will be Pooh Williamson, Joe Esposito and Saul Smith -- all three of whom were with Smith at Texas Tech. He left with a 46 - 50 record over three years. Though he did get 19 wins last year.

This isn't too big of a deal, but it seems things are not kicking off on the right foot at Memphis either.

Memphis' Tubby Smith reassigns assistant which could interest NCAA

He was pretty good at Minnesota. Took them to 3 tournaments in 6 years. Won 61% of his games. Which is higher than the all-time winning %. Got them into the 2nd round of the tournament which was the furthest they've been in a non vacated year in almost 20 years. And was extremely unlucky with injuries. Gophers were a top 20 team lost the starting PG for the year, didn't make NIT. Next year they lose the best player in the 3rd game of the season. Honestly could have had 5 tournament appearances in 6 years if not for injuries.