• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

True/False: Is it pathetic for a parent of a hs athlete..

Is this pathetic?

• True

Votes: 27 81.8%
  • False

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started school a year early and it always sucked. I didn't turn 16 until my Jr year, everyone else did it freshman or sophmore year.

Sucked even more when it came to football.

Me too...think it was mainly because mom needed to work full time so I went in as soon as possible. I was always the youngest, and for most of it, the smallest male in my class.

I "played" football in 5th/6th grades but after that I switched to things like baseball and basketball, where the size differences weren't going to kill me

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did you go to statutory high?

Check out all the fags on this page talking about "oh, a senior banging freshmen, that's statutory r*pe."

Spoken like a dude who had a crush on a freshman that got banged by a senior.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Check out all the fags on this page talking about "oh, a senior banging freshmen, that's statutory r*pe."

Right? I mean there was this chick we would drink with when I was a senior named Hottie 8th Grader, what's the big deal?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shit, our seniors were bagging teachers.
k7HFOsY3LJal.jpg

No joke she was my senior year French teacher and we were sure she was banging her TA. Decade later she gets "nailed" for it right before our ten year reunion.

http://m.zimbio.com/Janelle+Batkins/articles/ff-C8ehy8Ve/34+Janelle+Batkins

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started school a year early and it always sucked. I didn't turn 16 until my Jr year, everyone else did it freshman or sophmore year.

Sucked even more when it came to football.

Reminds me of this study about how the majority of Canadian NHL players were born in Jan- March, making them older than almost all other kids during their entire lives growing up learning the game:

Study: Correlation Of Birth Month And # Of Canadians In The Nhl

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a late November birthday, which was way past the cutoff, but my parents signed some waiver and I had to take a test to get admitted early.

I was always the youngest kid in my class. I was still 16 when I played my last HS football game... playing against kids who were 18 and 19.

December for me.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too...think it was mainly because mom needed to work full time so I went in as soon as possible. I was always the youngest, and for most of it, the smallest male in my class.

I "played" football in 5th/6th grades but after that I switched to things like baseball and basketball, where the size differences weren't going to kill me

This was likely part of it for me. Even though I started early, I also went to preschool before it.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
December for me.

Crazy.

Helps that I wasn't ever undersized, but I'm sure a few years could have helped with sports. But in the grand scheme of things I wasn't going to go pro in anything and it worked out that I got out of college and got a job right before the recession rather than when jobs were way harder to come by.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy.

Helps that I wasn't ever undersized, but I'm sure a few years could have helped with sports. But in the grand scheme of things I wasn't going to go pro in anything and it worked out that I got out of college and got a job right before the recession rather than when jobs were way harder to come by.

Oh I was fucking tiny. 5'2 and 110lbs soaking wet.

And now people from highschool see me and they don't believe it. I'm a big dude, around 6'2. I remember when I was 19 someone asked my dad who is that big guy with you, and I was looking around.

A couple of years would have made a huge difference as far as athletics. It didn't matter in some of my younger years where things were done by age groups, except I was always on teams with people in lower grades instead of people my own age. But at least I didn't suck as bad.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think there was a Real Sports about this . . . also it apparently works. See Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers and the section about Canadian youth hockey. Kids born around the time of the youth hockey cut off ended up doing better in hockey and advancing further because their increased maturity and additional practice made them stand out from their peers. The additional maturity/skills gets them special attention from the coaches and which gets them additional practice and coaching which in turn makes them better than their peers.
Well of course it 'works' you are playing against younger less physically developed competition. You realize a freshman is 14 and a senior is 18. Now hold them back a year for no real reason it is now a 19 yr old with a 5 yr age gap. So he SHOULD look better than everyone else.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well of course it 'works' you are playing against younger less physically developed competition. You realize a freshman is 14 and a senior is 18. Now hold them back a year for no real reason it is now a 19 yr old with a 5 yr age gap. So he SHOULD look better than everyone else.

1) in most high schools unless the frosh is particularly gifted they're not playing varsity with seniors
2) It's not necessarily seniors that are being held back (or simply choosing not to graduate). Can be freshman, sophomores, and juniors that don't advance to the next grade.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worked for the Clausen family. They did it with their boys. They started them in kindergarden at six 1st grade a year later and got "held back" in sixth grade. So when freshmen were 14-15 years old at the beginning of school Jimmy Clausen was 16 and driving to school. Senior year he started at 19 years old and was 20 before he went to Notre dame.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) in most high schools unless the frosh is particularly gifted they're not playing varsity with seniors
2) It's not necessarily seniors that are being held back (or simply choosing not to graduate). Can be freshman, sophomores, and juniors that don't advance to the next grade.
Shouldn't matter regardless of year. If the sole purpose of staying back is to develop more for athletics shame on the parents.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It worked for the Clausen family. They did it with their boys. They started them in kindergarden at six 1st grade a year later and got "held back" in sixth grade. So when freshmen were 14-15 years old at the beginning of school Jimmy Clausen was 16 and driving to school. Senior year he started at 19 years old and was 20 before he went to Notre dame.
But does that make it right?

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But does that make it right?

No , it's totally messing with how things are and should be. Why not one more year , he could legally drink alcohol ( cali its 21)the same year he graduated from High School.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No , it's totally messing with how things are and should be. Why not one more year , he could legally drink alcohol ( cali its 21)the same year he graduated from High School.
Just can't help but laugh when a parent was bragging the kid playing was a true freshman.