• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Training Camp/Preseason Thread

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sucks that Whiteside is already dealing with an injury.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to create this thread. Good job. I am here. Will be interested to see how pre-season plays out - You know wins and losses matter to me early in the season/pre-season as they do late in the season/playoffs. But I won't be watch any pre-season games. Saving energy for the regular season. No sense in making too much of anything that happens in pre-season.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just going to create this thread. Good job. I am here. Will be interested to see how pre-season plays out - You know wins and losses matter to me early in the season/pre-season as they do late in the season/playoffs. But I won't be watch any pre-season games. Saving energy for the regular season. No sense in making too much of anything that happens in pre-season.

I will only watch if they're on national tv. Otherwise I'll trust IRA and other beat writers to give me an accurate recap of what took place during the game

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Well....a loss to the Charlotte Hornets to start off the season. The Hornets on the 2nd night of the back to back. The good. Bosh and Wade were efficient and got a solid 23 minutes each even though Wade had early turnovers. Amare showing he can score and is not afraid to shoot. The bad is that Gerlad Green seems to shoot first and ask questions later....three more shots than anyone else and at 5-14 not sure that should continue. Winslow had another poor shooting night and had some bad fouls. Looks like he should still be in college.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will take note and names of the people saying certain things, especially if they are positive about the team or a particular player and see if that holds up when the team or said player hits the first bump on the road. most of it was said in the roll call thread. I do agree that Ennis and TJ will be the end of bench/nightly inactives.

Someone noted that there is more depth on this team - of course, most every team has depth at pre-season and the start of the season. I remember a lack of depth be it quantity or quality wise, was something people here often complained about - often forgetting that such was only the case due to the number of injuries - so lets see what those same people think of our depth when/ if guys go down or don't perform as expected.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who has read scouting reports on Winslow - has seen him play in college and summer league knows that Winslows' offense is a work in progress and will be THROUGHOUT his rookie season. Thats usually the case with most rookies. His defensive abilities is what made him attractive to the Heat during the draft and what made him a steal in that spot. And that is something that will earn him a decent amount of minutes.

Remember, its 15 guys on the roster - each guy is different and bring something different to the team -whatever Winslow lacks will be made up by other guys until he puts his offensive game together.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ira's recap

Observations from Sunday night's 90-77 exhibition loss to the Charlotte Hornets at AmericanAirlines Arena:

-- Enough cannot be said about the significance of seeing Chris Bosh back in uniform and back on the court.

-- Now it can truly begin again.

-- Bosh was 3 of 3 from the field in his first stint, leading the Heat with seven first-period points.

-- He was active, energic, as if he never left.

-- He closed with 14 points and seven rebounds in 23 minutes.

-- Dwyane Wade played in attack mode. Which he still can.

-- Sustaining that mode is the issue.

-- Josh McRoberts will be a thing for the Heat this season.

-- A big thing.

-- A candidate-for-Sixth-Man-Award thing.

-- The Hornets loaded up on 3-point attempts. The Heat didn't.

-- That has a lot to do with the Heat knowing who they are.

-- And who they're not.

-- With Hassan Whiteside out, Erik Spoelstra utilized Udonis Haslem as the replacement starter, with continuity among the reserve rotation clearly a priority.

-- The other starters were Bosh, Wade, Goran Dragic and Luol Deng.

-- Green was the first reserve to enter, promptly draining a 3-pointer, which could help alleviate one major concern if there can be consistency with that stroke.

-- Also, McRoberts-to-Green appears to be a thing.

-- McRoberts is like a basketball carnival with his ball movement.

-- And Green's athleticism, including a breakaway fourth-quarter dunk, already has him as a fan favorite.

-- Later, Chalmers left the point play to McRoberts late in the first period and converted a corner 3-pointer.

-- The game was another preview of the Rio-coaster.

-- It looks like Stoudemire could wind up with plenty of easy ones just by making himself available in the post for duck-ins.

-- Stoudemire's defense, though, is another story.

-- And likely an ongoing concern.

-- The Heat defense requires a lot of lateral movement, an issue with Amar'e in recent years.

-- If nothing else, Winslow oozes confidence.

-- Including his flush late in the second period.

-- Bosh between the legs for a Wade double-pump layup in the second period answered the question of why watch during the preseason.

-- The Heat could wind up with an offense-defense platoon at backup center with Chris Andersen and Stoudemire, depending on what is needed.

-- Dragic offered an early taste of his appetizing pick-and-roll possibilities with Bosh.

-- He then fed Stoudemire for another impressive assist.

-- While it's still early, it has to be a bit of a concern that Whiteside is talking about trying to make it back for at least a couple of exhibitions.

-- More than just a mere two would be nice.

-- Especially for a team that had almost no continuity last season.

-- John Lucas III also was out for the Heat, due to a tight hamstring that also limited him at the end of camp.

-- Erik Spoelstra pregame on Whiteside, "We're day to day. He's feeling better than he was yesterday. He was able to do a little more activity.

-- After such a lengthy layoff, after failing to make the playoffs. Spoelstra went in saying, "This has a different feel than a normal preseason game."

-- Opening their preseason with the lunacy of a back-to-back set that began Saturday in Orlando, the Hornets went with an unusual starting lineup of P.J. Hairston, Marvin Williams, Cody Zeller, Jeremy Lamb and Kemba Walker.

-- That meant no Al Jefferson and Nicolas Batum, with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist injured in Saturday's game in Orlando.

-- Kidd-Gilchrist was with the Hornets Sunday, but unable to arrange an MRI.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I read the 2nd unit defense outside of Winslow is really bad so probably will be best to try and have Whiteside/Deng playing with at least 3 of those guys

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had football/basketball on split screen and honestly was paying more attention to football, but early in the game Wade was primary ball handler which I just don't understand.

Andresrenee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
From what I read the 2nd unit defense outside of Winslow is really bad so probably will be best to try and have Whiteside/Deng playing with at least 3 of those guys

Yep.. Don't see them learning to play defense overnight....

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had football/basketball on split screen and honestly was paying more attention to football, but early in the game Wade was primary ball handler which I just don't understand.

I wouldn't read much into this.

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember there was many times last season, before CB , McRob got injured and before Wade went on his sitting out of games for no reason streak - when the Heat called on their bench and did so by often playing 4 or all 5 off the bench at a given time and people complained about it in here - I would say, prepare to see much of the same this season - CB's minutes will be closely monitored after the health issues, despite him saying he feels 100% and we know how fragile Wade is - so just be prepared to see those moments as they will come.

Will be interesting to see how this team particularly, and how other usual playoff contenders handle their players minutes and games this season now that there is no reward for winning the division. I still think it is dumb to take away the reward of making it to the playoffs as a division winner - change the way the other seeds are handled, but not division winners .

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't read much into this.

For Dragic it was an uneven night, but still a step forward. A new system and a different type of offseason have contributed to what he admitted will be a significant adjustment.

"It's tough because it's a different system," he said. "I feel like I need the ball to create. Without the ball I'm a different type of player. We'll see how it's going to go.

"We're talking that we want to advance the ball so everybody touches the ball so we develop the chemistry."

I just don't get it.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally get to watch my first Heat game all year long