• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trading back

Northern Eagle

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, you astute scouts are raving about, is to trade back or even stay put so we don't lose out on this year's combine star - "Obe Won Kanobe", I mean Obi Melifonwu, S, UConn. I know he's tempting, but so was Mike Mamula. Howie would lose his job if he took him @ #14, ane he is a bust. We hired Douglas because he doesn't gamble, but takes the BPA for his team.

I sure hope Howie allows Douglas to do that. Howie has talked a good game so far but the draft is what really matters. We need this draft to be a home run - whomever we end up taking, they better be a cornerstone to build around.

FWIW, I like Obi - I think worst cast case he's going to be Byron Jones - he's turned out to be pretty good so far in Dallas. My guy is Reuben Foster, slight chance he might drop to 14, and if he does, Eagles better draft him. We haven't had star linebackers here since probably Seth Joyner, a combo of Hicks/Foster would be devastating :hope:

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one knows whether it's two seasons or not. Unless you have some kind of crystal ball that lets you know how any addition to the team will be playing/contributing to the team over the next 2/3 years.
And if you do have such a device why haven't you won the lottery yet?

I never said anything about how effective the players filling the holes will be. We were talking about having the resources to actually fill them - via FA/Cap and draft. My point was, we never going to fill all these holes in 1 year alone. So no reason to trade down and try to go for quantity of picks. We can afford quality picks instead and utilize next year to finish our rebuilding process. Picking good guys that pan out - is just part of the game, but a different issue altogether.

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope Howie allows Douglas to do that. Howie has talked a good game so far but the draft is what really matters. We need this draft to be a home run - whomever we end up taking, they better be a cornerstone to build around.

FWIW, I like Obi - I think worst cast case he's going to be Byron Jones - he's turned out to be pretty good so far in Dallas. My guy is Reuben Foster, slight chance he might drop to 14, and if he does, Eagles better draft him. We haven't had star linebackers here since probably Seth Joyner, a combo of Hicks/Foster would be devastating :hope:

And the more we trade back... the less of a chance that happens, imho.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team's top choice isn't there and they get an offer that is good value then the prudent move is to take it. If they can pick good players then they will do that wherever they draft. I don't want to miss out on the top top players as I've said before but there are plenty of possible scenarios where trading down would be a good move.

And I mean what if someone throws a 2018 1st rounder in your face to try to grab their QB or something? You might even do that if the guy you love is still sitting there. Remember we are short picks moving forward still. Also, Howie mentioned that on the radio last week.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the more we trade back... the less of a chance that happens, imho.

IMO, we just need to stay put - there will be plenty of good talent to select from at 14, providing they stick true to their word and don't deviate from their board. Which is what Howie was good at doing years prior, hence we end up with garbage players like Danny Watkins, Jaiqwuan Jarrett, Curtis Marsh, and Marcus Smith (traded back to get him). I think they just need to let Howie go for a walk Thursday night and tell him to stay out of the draft room, don't come back until Sunday.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the team's top choice isn't there and they get an offer that is good value then the prudent move is to take it. If they can pick good players then they will do that wherever they draft. I don't want to miss out on the top top players as I've said before but there are plenty of possible scenarios where trading down would be a good move.

And I mean what if someone throws a 2018 1st rounder in your face to try to grab their QB or something? You might even do that if the guy you love is still sitting there. Remember we are short picks moving forward still. Also, Howie mentioned that on the radio last week.

That would be nice, but it's wishful thinking. I don't see anyone liking Watson or Trubisky that much, but you never know - I like your optimism.

The only significant pick we're missing is the 2nd rounder next year. We have 3 4th rounders in '18 with one of them potentially becoming a 3rd. Howie has done a great job to this point to recover much of what was lost in the Wentz transaction, and we may potentially pick up a couple more if we can find takers for Kendricks and Kelce.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be nice, but it's wishful thinking. I don't see anyone liking Watson or Trubisky that much, but you never know - I like your optimism.

The only significant pick we're missing is the 2nd rounder next year. We have 3 4th rounders in '18 with one of them potentially becoming a 3rd. Howie has done a great job to this point to recover much of what was lost in the Wentz transaction, and we may potentially pick up a couple more if we can find takers for Kendricks and Kelce.

Missing a 2nd rounder is very significant. That's a huge hole. They might try to recoup it.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing a 2nd rounder is very significant. That's a huge hole. They might try to recoup it.

I did say it was significant. Wouldn't surprise me if they didn't like what they see by the time they're on the clock in the 3rd, and someone makes an offer for an '18 2nd rounder, you're right they could jump on that.

Sparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that there just is not one player at 14 worth falling in love with. There are many good players and grabbing one at 20th pick along with a 3rd or a 2018 2nd is a better move.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My opinion is that there just is not one player at 14 worth falling in love with. There are many good players and grabbing one at 20th pick along with a 3rd or a 2018 2nd is a better move.

When does the last guy go that's worth it? Trade up to that spot then.

Sparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When does the last guy go that's worth it? Trade up to that spot then.

I'm not sure we have anything to trade. I'm thinking we have less than most teams.

Sparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you trade #14 and 3rd rd pick for #10 if lattimore drops?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we have anything to trade. I'm thinking we have less than most teams.

It's easy to trade up. Our first and second could get us to #6.

Sparky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok exciting times...one month to go!

Rey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lattimore is a special type of player. I have him on the same level as a Patrick Peterson when he was coming out. Been saying this since the middle of the college season. I would actually be very surprised if his name isn't called in the top 8 picks. You snag him and you don't have to worry much about his side of the field for the next 8 years (barring injury of course). While I like quite a few CB's in this draft ... I don't feel that way about any other player. I would absolutely trade up using our 3rd for him. Have to think a little more about our 2nd though as there will still be top talent there for us at that pick and we have other needs..

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enut, would you really trade 14 and 43 (or whatever the 2nd rd pick is), to move up for Lattimore?

I'm not sure. If the team is convinced he's a sure thing and can start in 2017 then he would be worth it and nothing else at 14 and 43 could improve us more. CB is the gapingest of holes.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lattimore is a special type of player. I have him on the same level as a Patrick Peterson when he was coming out. Been saying this since the middle of the college season. I would actually be very surprised if his name isn't called in the top 8 picks. You snag him and you don't have to worry much about his side of the field for the next 8 years (barring injury of course). While I like quite a few CB's in this draft ... I don't feel that way about any other player. I would absolutely trade up using our 3rd for him. Have to think a little more about our 2nd though as there will still be top talent there for us at that pick and we have other needs..
Just think @Rey 3 years from now I predict Jeffrey Okudah will be a top 5 pick in the NFL Draft. Have you seen this kid yet? I think he may be the best corner possibly ever to come through Columbus. His instincts are unreal and he has yet to play a game in college yet. His smarts and talent are going to be special for the Buckeyes. Sean Wade as well.

Northern Eagle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lattimore, although extremely talented, has brittle hammies - repeated history of hamstring issues is a concern for me if we're surrendering extra picks to trade up.