• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

[Trade] Scott Hannan to Washington, Flash to the Avs

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I saw all the space you guys have. I hope Semin goes to Long Island :D

Yeah the Islanders will have something like 17 million coming off the books this year. Which means Chuck is going to have to spend at least 15 million just to reach the cap floor.

Granted I doubt Semin would want to come to the Islanders but I'm sure a few guys are going to want to play in the NHL next year. Somebody will take the money. The only question is who??

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. For 1, Flash is a good offensive tallent and all, but he is a pansy. This also allows for Perreault (or Beagle for that matter) and Johanson both to play. I don't know a ton about Hannan, but like 46 said, it's a depth move for the most part, and when one of the D men is out which has been a common thing early this season, we don't have to place Fahey or Sloan (I hate Sloan) out there on the 3rd pairing.

Well, I'm sorry to see Flash go. I had a higher opinion of him than my other Cap fan counterparts, but he was disappointing in the playoffs last year and has been thus far this year as well, especially on the power play. BUT, I'm very pysched that my favorite Capital Mathieu Perreault may have a chance to be a regular on the team now.

The Caps have been favoring the 3rd unit more as a shutdown/defensive squad than a scoring unit, so it's not a big surprise they let one of our softer/skilled forwards go for defensive depth. I'm gonna guess this means our D lines (when healthy) are:

Green-Schultz
Poti-Carlson
Alzner-Hannan

Bad news for Tyler Sloan and a little surprising since Erskine who I generally hate is having... it's hard for me to type this... a really good year on both sides of the puck.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good hopefully Flash will start scoring some points in Col for my fantasy teams's sake

Yeah, probably. But if the Caps probably weren't going to be able to re-sign him and he was a healthy stratch some nights, then better to get something for him.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Caps need a stay at home defenseman. Heck they probably need another one. Plus they've got two youngsters on the blueline Alzner & Carlson. Hannan will be a steadying influence on the young guys.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the past Hannan was one of the best shutdown defensemen in the league. In both 2004 and 2007 he was tasked with shutting down Forsberg in the playoffs and did a pretty good job of it. I really haven't followed him much the past few seasons, but it does seem like he's lost a step or two. I really didn't notice him much in the playoff series last year against San Jose though. I hope he fills the role the Caps brought him in for.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the Avs overpaid when they signed him, and he's only gotten worse since then. The Caps do need a mean vet on the blueline though, so if it helps them make a deep run then more power to them.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is a short-term win for the Capitals, but it will be interesting to see how this works out in the long run. Flash has some skill, and could produce at a decent rate over the course of his career. He also likely has his best years ahead of him. Hannan is a good but declining and aging player with a big cap hit. It will be interesting to see what kind of value the Capitals get out of him over the course of this season.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This trade is a short-term win for the Capitals, but it will be interesting to see how this works out in the long run. Flash has some skill, and could produce at a decent rate over the course of his career. He also likely has his best years ahead of him. Hannan is a good but declining and aging player with a big cap hit. It will be interesting to see what kind of value the Capitals get out of him over the course of this season.

Yeah, but the Caps were probably not going to re-sign Flash at the end of the season anyway, so that doesn't really change the long term scenario. He'll want $3-4 million/year, we are overloaded at winger, and we won't want to pay it. I think either way he was gone.

If anything, this may be an indication that Alex Semin is staying in Washington beyond this year since Flash and Semin were going to be the biggest potential signings next summer.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but the Caps were probably not going to re-sign Flash at the end of the season anyway, so that doesn't really change the long term scenario. He'll want $3-4 million/year, we are overloaded at winger, and we won't want to pay it. I think either way he was gone.

If anything, this may be an indication that Alex Semin is staying in Washington beyond this year since Flash and Semin were going to be the biggest potential signings next summer.

NO!! Damnitt my team needs him more. We have the cap space. We'll give him the long term deal he wants at 8 million per. Of course Semin will take one look at the NVMC & demand a trade,:L but that's life he'll have to deal with it.:D

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hannan is doing a hell of a job lately ... -12 in last 11 games played

-8 as a cap ... you think the caps players are sulking a bit because they know the team shit the bed on this trade?

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Hannan is doing a hell of a job lately ... -12 in last 11 games played
-8 as a cap ... you think the caps players are sulking a bit because they know the team shit the bed on this trade?

vs... Fleischmann five goals and ten points in his first seven games with the Avalanche

i dunno... close call.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sarich + Staios for Backstrom...

Do it Sutter!!

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's not the way we roll around here :D

I thought that was the "other place" where I learned in early November that Marc-Andre Fleury's career was over and Steven Stamkos was going to score 70 goals this year. ;)

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was the "other place" where I learned in early November that Marc-Andre Fleury's career was over and Steven Stamkos was going to score 70 goals this year. ;)

Can there be two losers in a swap? I don't think either the Leafs or Flames won the Phaneuf trade.

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
on second thought I will wait til Hannan breaks a hip before I judge this trade