• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toughest schedule ever?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a firm believer in you cannot just say you are going to have a tough season just by what the teams you play did last year. You never know how injuries will play a role or how a team will gel with new players stepping up. With that being said, you cannot discount what these teams did last year either and the returners they will have....I hope we can start having the ball bounce our way for a 8-4 season since we have played alot of games close and into overtime. We may show great improvement and only get to 6 wins. Disclaimer...opinion on toughness of schedule has no reflection on past, present, or future coaches at WVU :suds:

Where do you guys think this schedule will land on WVU's toughest schedules?

Team 2013 record
Bama @ 11-2 Lost to Oklahoma in bowl game
Towson H 13-3 played and lost in Div 2 title game
Maryland @ 7-6 lost to Marshall in Bowl game
Oklahoma H 11-2 beat #7 Bama in bowl game
Kansas H 3-9 no bowl
Texas Tech @ 8-5 beat #21 Arizona St in bowl game, new coach had a 1st season in big 12 like DH's

Baylor H 11-2 Big 12 champs lost to #10 UCF in bowl game
Okie St @ 10-3 Lost to #5 Missouri in bowl game
TCU @ 4-8 no bowl
Texas H 8-5 lost to #9 Oregon in bowl game
K ST H(Thurs night) 8-5 beat Michigan in bowl game
Iowa St @ 3-9 no bowl game

Combined 97-59 WOW

Bat 20

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope we play up to our level competition!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a firm believer in you cannot just say you are going to have a tough season just by what the teams you play did last year. You never know how injuries will play a role or how a team will gel with new players stepping up. With that being said, you cannot discount what these teams did last year either and the returners they will have....I hope we can start having the ball bounce our way for a 8-4 season since we have played alot of games close and into overtime. We may show great improvement and only get to 6 wins. Disclaimer...opinion on toughness of schedule has no reflection on past, present, or future coaches at WVU :suds:

Where do you guys think this schedule will land on WVU's toughest schedules?

Team 2013 record
Bama @ 11-2 Lost to Oklahoma in bowl game
Towson H 13-3 played and lost in Div 2 title game
Maryland @ 7-6 lost to Marshall in Bowl game
Oklahoma H 11-2 beat #7 Bama in bowl game
Kansas H 3-9 no bowl
Texas Tech @ 8-5 beat #21 Arizona St in bowl game, new coach had a 1st season in big 12 like DH's

Baylor H 11-2 Big 12 champs lost to #10 UCF in bowl game
Okie St @ 10-3 Lost to #5 Missouri in bowl game
TCU @ 4-8 no bowl
Texas H 8-5 lost to #9 Oregon in bowl game
K ST H(Thurs night) 8-5 beat Michigan in bowl game
Iowa St @ 3-9 no bowl game

Combined 97-59 WOW

Hard to say...would need to do some homework...unless a team is bringing back 80% of its starters I think last years numbers are worthless...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say...would need to do some homework...unless a team is bringing back 80% of its starters I think last years numbers are worthless...

How many starters are we bringing back? :suds: Good things to come my friend good things to come.

Even though I thought anyone could jump right in on offense, we should not have been surprised with the production last year...many new starters and guys playing together for the first time.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you look at rankings of the teams we play, we play 2 consensus top 10 teams, Ala OU, 1 top 15 team, Baylor, and some have Texas ranked in the top 25. Knowing the B12, someone else is bound to make a splash. This could be the toughest ever, but we just need to see how the teams shape up during the season.

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think the 1986 season would have something to say about that. In that season WVU played both teams that played in the de facto National Title game; Penn St. and Miami, FL. The 1987 season was no cake walk either... I just hope we don't end up with only 4 wins like 1986.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I think the 1986 season would have something to say about that. In that season WVU played both teams that played in the de facto National Title game; Penn St. and Miami, FL. The 1987 season was no cake walk either... I just hope we don't end up with only 4 wins like 1986.

That is a good season to choose from, but besides one and two we did not play another ranked team. All teams were Div 1.

87 was a tough year...four ranked teams, games at Penn St, Ohio St, and Cuse.

Off the topic a bit, but wow talk about a horrible home schedule for fans in 87:
Ohio
ECU
Cincy
Va Tech
Rutgers
Pitt
We might have had Pitt season ticket prices that year. lol

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many starters are we bringing back? :suds: Good things to come my friend good things to come.

Even though I thought anyone could jump right in on offense, we should not have been surprised with the production last year...many new starters and guys playing together for the first time.

I'm with you! it's why I beleive Wv is going to be the surprise team in the Big12..I think they are going to have a great year...I played golf with BBW on Sunday and we were talking about this exact thing...to me last year we had a young inexperienced team...Trickett didn't see a snap until August...6 first year Juco's in your starting line up...I beleive a kid like White didn't even know where he was going have thte time...this year...I like the offense...a lot!

But as far as the schedule I think that you don't know how good it is until after you played it...We have seen all too many times in the last 10 years that half the teams ranked in the top 10 aren't even top 25 by years end...

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with you! it's why I beleive Wv is going to be the surprise team in the Big12..I think they are going to have a great year...I played golf with BBW on Sunday and we were talking about this exact thing...to me last year we had a young inexperienced team...Trickett didn't see a snap until August...6 first year Juco's in your starting line up...I beleive a kid like White didn't even know where he was going have thte time...this year...I like the offense...a lot!

But as far as the schedule I think that you don't know how good it is until after you played it...We have seen all too many times in the last 10 years that half the teams ranked in the top 10 aren't even top 25 by years end...

True but it makes for good discussion in May.

My prediction is that this will be the toughest WV schedule ever. By the end of the year, there will be 4 or 5 B12 teams in the top 25, WVU possibly being one of them. Add a sure fire top 10 team in Alabama, an improved Maryland and a Div 1 team coming off a great year. Not only do we have to play ranked teams, there will be no cakewalks this year. There is no Rutgers, Temple, or Coastal Carolina on our schedule this year. I have seen us pre-season ranked at 11th toughest schedule in CFB. I have never seen us that high before.

Experience should help. Other than a rash of injuries, I see no good excuses to have a bad season this year. Last year the team was inexperienced and hung with most and made some splashes. With an extra year under their belt in the system, something is wrong if they don't put it all together. Hopefully it starts with Alabama.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there will be no cakewalks this year. There is no Rutgers, Temple, or Coastal Carolina on our schedule this year

Yes there ARE cakewalks, but with our current head coach, even a William and Mary game is a toss up. Towson, KU, and IAST ARE cakewalks, they are no better than Temple and Rutgers.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there ARE cakewalks, but with our current head coach, even a William and Mary game is a toss up. Towson, KU, and IAST ARE cakewalks, they are no better than Temple and Rutgers.

If you look at sagarian rankings, Towson is ranked higher than WVU, IAS, KU, Temple ,Rutgers, and even Maryland. kU ranked the lowest, but last year showed they can be dangerous.

DBAR4WVU

Blue & Gold until I die
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kU ranked the lowest, but last year showed they can be dangerous.

I'm sorry - I don't usually pick apart a post from someone else cause I can say things on here that I would like to take back. But I just have to ask..... WTF?? Kansas showed they could be dangerous to WVU, period!

Their only wins - So, Dakota (31-14) and La. Tech (13-10) and oh yeah, WVU (31-19). We fared 5 pts. better than SD. Their other OOC was Rice and they lost 14-23 in Houston.

So I am not sure I would use the term "dangerous" to describe Kansas. But I would say that if you put a team on a field that is not prepared and doesn't know what to expect from their opponent and the game plan is not cohessive - anybody can, and typically will, beat you.
:gaah:

CoolBeans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That 1986 team had the #1 schedule in the nation that year, though I don't remember according to whom. (Sorry, mind fuzzy from that far back, but I remember an interview with Don Nehlen about it, for whatever that is worth) Boston College and Va. Tach would have been AP #22 and AP#23 the final regular season poll, except, AP only did Top 20 then.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry - I don't usually pick apart a post from someone else cause I can say things on here that I would like to take back. But I just have to ask..... WTF?? Kansas showed they could be dangerous to WVU, period!

Their only wins - So, Dakota (31-14) and La. Tech (13-10) and oh yeah, WVU (31-19). We fared 5 pts. better than SD. Their other OOC was Rice and they lost 14-23 in Houston.

So I am not sure I would use the term "dangerous" to describe Kansas. But I would say that if you put a team on a field that is not prepared and doesn't know what to expect from their opponent and the game plan is not cohessive - anybody can, and typically will, beat you.
:gaah:

Hell, with Holgorsen coaching our team William and Mary was pretty dangerous last year.................