• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOSU Buckeyes 15/16 Season Thread

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So looking at the defense, it could be the best defense we have seen in a longtime at Ohio St, no joke.

DE - Bosa - best d-lineman in the country. Hubbard will start the 1st game a 5 star that is expected to be a force.
DT - Washington - he will be a force in the middle.
DT - Shutt - not much experience but with great players around him it could help.
DE- Lewis - another new starter, but supposedly to be a beast and saw action last year.

Top 3 D-Line in the country and great depth.

OLB - Lee - was a key factor last year down the stretch. A playmaker
OLB - McMillan - speed and lots of it. Probably one of the best in the country
OLB - Perry - a captain and great leader. He is also a force.

The best linebacker core in the nation and the thing that is scary is they are still young.

CB - Apple - one of the best in the nation. He was only a freshman last year too.
CB - Conley - Didnt get much playing time, but enough at 3rd and 4th corner. Should be a breakout player this year.

The top two corners could be a great duo this year, top 10 duo in the nation. The depth is lacking some experience but they have great upside.

S - Powell - 4 interceptions last year and a captain. He is only getting better.
S - Bell - Top 2 safety in the nation, if not the best. A great tackler and had 6 interceptions last year with 92 solo tackles.

The best safety combo we have seen in some time. They are most likely tops in the nation.

Corner is the only place that concerns me. I know the talent is there just slightly worried whether Apple is ready as a sophomore to be the main guy especially considering the guy across the field will have little to no experience.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Corner is the only place that concerns me. I know the talent is there just slightly worried whether Apple is ready as a sophomore to be the main guy especially considering the guy across the field will have little to no experience.

It is definitely the weak point of the defense, but the safeties are very strong and I'm sure these guys have worked hard in the offseason. It might take some time. Apple started off slow last year and actually became a pretty legit corner in only his true freshman year. He will have to have a big year, even though he is still young.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In my opinion we deserve to drop from #1 and actually I think it'd do this team some good. They don't have the same fire as last year. Think they were told how good they are and it went to their heads.

Also the playcalling has been mindnumbingly bad

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are overthinking things on offense, they are trying to get everyone the ball instead of playing their normal game. They are doing too much jet sweep, wildcat shit when they dont need to. It also doesnt help when you are throwing two different QB's in there and no one seems comfortable. To go along with all that the offensive line seems confused too.

They need to run Elliott more, they need to name a starter and stick with him (I am saying Barrett), they need to use Braxton rarely as wildcat QB and more on the edges and as a wide receiver. That wildcat shit doesnt work, it's just dumb. They can use Jalin as mainly a wide receiver and use him for jet sweeps every now and then, not every other play. But focus on get Elliott more carries and get this offensive line more comfortable. I havent seen an tOSU offense play this bad in a long time, especially with the talent. Urban will figure it out and they really are lucky their schedule isnt too tough especially early in the season.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are overthinking things on offense, they are trying to get everyone the ball instead of playing their normal game. They are doing too much jet sweep, wildcat shit when they dont need to. It also doesnt help when you are throwing two different QB's in there and no one seems comfortable. To go along with all that the offensive line seems confused too.

They need to run Elliott more, they need to name a starter and stick with him (I am saying Barrett), they need to use Braxton rarely as wildcat QB and more on the edges and as a wide receiver. That wildcat shit doesnt work, it's just dumb. They can use Jalin as mainly a wide receiver and use him for jet sweeps every now and then, not every other play. But focus on get Elliott more carries and get this offensive line more comfortable. I havent seen an tOSU offense play this bad in a long time, especially with the talent. Urban will figure it out and they really are lucky their schedule isnt too tough especially early in the season.

Nailed it in bold IMO. Trying to spread it around too much is hurting them. Braxton can go back in the wildcat but it needs to be with a read option and possibly passing threat. Get Elliot running off tackle or in between the tackle. Establish a power running game and let the QB(s) sit back and throw to wide open receivers cause everyone is going all out against the run.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nailed it in bold IMO. Trying to spread it around too much is hurting them. Braxton can go back in the wildcat but it needs to be with a read option and possibly passing threat. Get Elliot running off tackle or in between the tackle. Establish a power running game and let the QB(s) sit back and throw to wide open receivers cause everyone is going all out against the run.

Yep. One bright spot is the defense, the best OSU defense I have seen in some time. Just think if the offense can move the ball and stay on the field this defense will get even better and they have great depth.

But back to the offense, like you said power running game will open up these talented WR's. It's crazy we havent seen this offense have any big plays other than that first game vs Va Tech. There is no excuse for this offense to struggle like this.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense is elite and they are showing it. The cornerbacks (which I was worried about preseason) are playing out of their minds. How many times have you seen anyone even throw towards Apple? Conley is playing like all conference if not better. One other thing I noticed that I liked this past week. They were lining Bosa up in the center of the line. Drawing that double coverage was allowing Diesel to go wild. Felt like he was in the backfield every play. Both Tyvis Powell and Vonn Bell are getting downhill really fast and wrapping up well. Of course, you can't forget the linebackers. Perry and Kwon are hole plugging machines and Darron Lee seems to be a big play waiting to happen.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd-man defensive fronts bedeviling Buckeyes again

An interesting article. It explains that teams are playing the 3-4 defense and OSU didnt prepare for it. The coaches know they will see everything and you have to prepare, no excuses. But it looks like that was the problem, the 3-4 odd look for NIU's defense.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Odd-man defensive fronts bedeviling Buckeyes again

An interesting article. It explains that teams are playing the 3-4 defense and OSU didnt prepare for it. The coaches know they will see everything and you have to prepare, no excuses. But it looks like that was the problem, the 3-4 odd look for NIU's defense.

I did hear about this. You would think that would be pretty hard on the defense as well if they are used to a 4-3

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guarantee you that this will change. I think the big problem is who is going to be the main QB from this day forward? Pick one and stick with it. Psychologically it probably messes with their heads. There is no need to over think with a stacked roster like this. Go back to the film from the playoffs and see what you did that got you to where you are. Simple fix, even with young college kids.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd they fuck us over?
I hate being the 1 ranked team in the country. The pressure is extreme for these kids to stay the top dog all season. Look at the past teams over the years who started at 1.. How many finished at 1 by the end? Bama would be a great example. Just my .02 buddy.

Xulu Bak

Hoopla Cash
$ 148.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I see it as a combination of a few things...

1) They have a ton of options on offense, and as you say, they're overthinking it trying to get everyone involved, which is compounded by...
2) Most of those guys being "weapons," not traditional RBs or WRs...
3) So you have to be a little more creative to get them involved, which you want to do, because any of them have the potential to score anytime they touch the ball, but...
4) In doing that, they're making it impossible for Elliott to get any sort of rhythm running the ball, or Thomas to really establish himself on the outside.

Elliott and Thomas can't be 100% of the offense (minus dump offs to Vannett), so it's important to get Braxton, Marshall, Wilson, and Samuel touches, but it needs to be within the context of an offense that goes through Elliott, and to a lesser extent, Thomas, not a focal point.

I also think they've gotten a bit obsessed with running laterally because of the necessity, and success we had doing it, against Bama in the Sugar Bowl. It made sense against VT because their Bear defense, but why continue that against a Hawaii defense that is on the smaller side, but seemed to have decent quickness?

Lastly, I have a hard time with Cardale over JT. Don't get me wrong, the former has a great skill set, but it's a skill set better suited for a more traditional spread offense, with a vertical threat (e.g., Smith) on one side, a big physical WR on the other (e.g., Thomas), and someone working the slot. He can run effectively, especially when everything else is clicking, but he's not the same ground threat as JT. Probably the biggest argument in Cardale's favor is his ability to throw the deep ball, which was great in games when Zeke was running for 200+, and Smith (one of the greatest deep threat WRs in CFB history) was on the outside, but Smith is gone, and no one seems apt to take his spot in the immediate future. And of course, JT was voted captain, which to me should be a pretty significant consideration in who's the starting QB.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as a combination of a few things...

1) They have a ton of options on offense, and as you say, they're overthinking it trying to get everyone involved, which is compounded by...
2) Most of those guys being "weapons," not traditional RBs or WRs...
3) So you have to be a little more creative to get them involved, which you want to do, because any of them have the potential to score anytime they touch the ball, but...
4) In doing that, they're making it impossible for Elliott to get any sort of rhythm running the ball, or Thomas to really establish himself on the outside.

Elliott and Thomas can't be 100% of the offense (minus dump offs to Vannett), so it's important to get Braxton, Marshall, Wilson, and Samuel touches, but it needs to be within the context of an offense that goes through Elliott, and to a lesser extent, Thomas, not a focal point.

I also think they've gotten a bit obsessed with running laterally because of the necessity, and success we had doing it, against Bama in the Sugar Bowl. It made sense against VT because their Bear defense, but why continue that against a Hawaii defense that is on the smaller side, but seemed to have decent quickness?

Lastly, I have a hard time with Cardale over JT. Don't get me wrong, the former has a great skill set, but it's a skill set better suited for a more traditional spread offense, with a vertical threat (e.g., Smith) on one side, a big physical WR on the other (e.g., Thomas), and someone working the slot. He can run effectively, especially when everything else is clicking, but he's not the same ground threat as JT. Probably the biggest argument in Cardale's favor is his ability to throw the deep ball, which was great in games when Zeke was running for 200+, and Smith (one of the greatest deep threat WRs in CFB history) was on the outside, but Smith is gone, and no one seems apt to take his spot in the immediate future. And of course, JT was voted captain, which to me should be a pretty significant consideration in who's the starting QB.

I agree with pretty much everything and yes I like JT over Cardale.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to find the deep threat but make Elliott and Thomas the vocal points of the offense. Brax will have his big plays but dont force it.

I expect to see a different team this week, but I have also said that the last 2 weeks. I just expect to see improvements in the offense and better QB play.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did anyone see this? Before I post the sign I just want to say that there are some really fucked up people who are gutless, classless, and just such scumbs of the earth to put this out there. It's even worse that ESPN voted this as the top sign for gameday. Congrats! The Meyer family has every right to be pissed and disgusted with this.
urban-meyer-gameday-sign.jpg

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They forgot the end part. ...join the Big 10 and come back and dominate the SEC champ on the way to a National Championship