• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Toronto should call up Vlad Jr...now

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted him this year, thinking theres an outside shot he gets a call. acuna did.

Prospect Heat Check: Is MLB ready for a 19-year-old hitting prodigy?

fucking service time is preventing it:

Unfortunately, the game does not work like this, and so we’re left to ogle from afar the terror Guerrero is inflicting on Double-A pitchers. After another two-hit game Monday, Guerrero was hitting .380/.442/.582. He had just 10 strikeouts in 79 at-bats, matched by 10 walks. And a pair of longtime scouts who have seen him in recent weeks agreed when asked about Guerrero in a Blue Jays uniform.

“He’s ready,” one said.

“He’d hit in the big leagues today,” the other said.

Because it is the furthest thing from Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro’s style to summon a cornerstone-type player without taking into account service-time considerations, the prospect of Guerrero debuting in the big leagues on the cusp of his father’s Hall of Fame induction is unlikely. Still, there is a case to be made that it could w

Let’s first acknowledge the obvious: It would start his service clock earlier than any player since Alex Rodriguez arrived nearly a quarter-century ago. At his July 8, 1994, debut, A-Rod was 18 years, 346 days old. Today, Vlad Jr. is 19 years, 46 days – younger than Adrian Beltre (19.078), Andruw Jones (19.114), Ken Griffey Jr. (19.133), Bryce Harper (19.195), Pudge Rodriguez (19.205) or Mike Trout (19.335) at theirs. Understandably, the Blue Jays do not want to run the risk of losing him to free agency in his prime.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I drafted him this year, thinking theres an outside shot he gets a call. acuna did.

Unfortunately, the game does not work like this, and so we’re left to ogle from afar the terror Guerrero is inflicting on Double-A pitchers. After another two-hit game Monday, Guerrero was hitting .380/.442/.582. He had just 10 strikeouts in 79 at-bats, matched by 10 walks. And a pair of longtime scouts who have seen him in recent weeks agreed when asked about Guerrero in a Blue Jays uniform.

“He’s ready,” one said.

Because it is the furthest thing from Blue Jays president Mark Shapiro’s style to summon a cornerstone-type player without taking into account service-time considerations, the prospect of Guerrero debuting in the big leagues on the cusp of his father’s Hall of Fame induction is unlikely. Still, there is a case to be made that it could w

Let’s first acknowledge the obvious: It would start his service clock earlier than any player since Alex Rodriguez arrived nearly a quarter-century ago. At his July 8, 1994, debut, A-Rod was 18 years, 346 days old. Today, Vlad Jr. is 19 years, 46 days – younger than Adrian Beltre (19.078), Andruw Jones (19.114), Ken Griffey Jr. (19.133), Bryce Harper (19.195), Pudge Rodriguez (19.205) or Mike Trout (19.335) at theirs. Understandably, the Blue Jays do not want to run the risk of losing him to free agency in his prime.

Can you believe these dicks? Don't they know about your fantasy team?

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you believe these dicks? Don't they know about your fantasy team?
theyre in contention...

the braves have 3 guys 21 or under in their starting lineup now with soroka last night.

follow the braves. the fans will come too.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
theyre in contention...

the braves have 3 guys 21 or under in their starting lineup now with soroka last night.

follow the braves. the fans will come too.

Service time Rocko

Toronto doesn't wanna have to give this kid $300 million at 23

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Service time Rocko

Toronto doesn't wanna have to give this kid $300 million at 23
thats the balance tho.

your leveraging service time vs competing, and drawing fans...and MLB interest.

the ratings ALONE....

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol no. they're not going to bring a 19-year-old up to the majors from AA after 21 games. It's not like Benintendi where he was older and had experience in college ball. No need to rush him.

That being said, he might be the best hitting prospect since Harper/Trout (though I don't think Trout was expected to hit for as much power as he has). Vlad's shown amazing plate discipline throughout the minors so far (76:62 BB:K last year between A and A+, 12:10 BB:K in AA so far, and 33:35 BB:K in rookie ball in 2016) all while being significantly younger than the rest of his competition.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlad Jr is going to be a absolute Stud.
He is ready now and I wouldnt be shocked if he isnt here before the season is over.

At the minimum a Sept call up

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vlad Jr is going to be a absolute Stud.
He is ready now and I wouldnt be shocked if he isnt here before the season is over.

At the minimum a Sept call up

lmao. that's convincing.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lmao. that's convincing.

I think he could hit in the bigs now. I do think they will hold off as long as they can though.

All depends how the season unwinds

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he could hit in the bigs now. I do think they will hold off as long as they can though.

All depends how the season unwinds

that's a pretty bold claim for a 19-year-old that's played 21 games above A+ ball. don't get me wrong, I think he's going to mash but AA to MLB is a huge jump especially for someone that didn't play in college ball.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports agrees with that sentiment. Speaking on the Jeff Blair Show on Sportsnet 590 The FAN Thursday, Passan explained why it’s a “no-brainer” for the Blue Jays to call up their top prospect.

“I think when a guy is ready, he is ready.” Passan said. “If you want to be an organization that is known for trying to win at all times, at all costs, in a division where it is imperative to have that mindset, then calling up your best players when they are ready physically to be Major League Baseball players is what you should do. All the other stuff, that can be adjusted to.

“Vlad Guerrero Jr. understands what it takes to be a major-league player, though, because his father was, because he grew up around the game and because the physical tools are there right now for him to be successful, and more successful right now than the alternatives for the Blue Jays makes him the right choice right now.”

Guerrero Jr.’s numbers with the Fisher Cats certainly jump off the page and he’s only getting better as the season continues. Passan believes that his impressive displays at the double-A level are especially encouraging.

“I think that what he is doing down at double-A, which is the proving ground for minor-league players – even more than triple-A – shows that he is ready. Every day I check Vlad Guerrero Jr.’s page on MiLB.com and every day, it’s like he’s getting better. He’s up to .388 [batting average] now. He’s slugging .600. And oh, by the way, he’s just turned 19 years old. He’s ready. Scouts tell me he’s ready. People in the organization believe that he is ready, even though they don’t want to bring him up right now. It’s time.”

Guerrero Jr. has played a total of 21 games with New Hampshire this season, batting .388/.455/.600 with two home runs and 26 RBI.

You can listen to the full segment in the audio player below.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 3B, Blue Jays (Double-A New Hampshire) | Blue Jays Depth Chart

A 19-year-old with only a few weeks of Double-A experience has no business being on this list. Or being this good, even if his father is a Hall of Famer. But Vladimir Jr., after just 96 plate appearances, is making it clear that he has no business being at this level for much longer. The right-handed hitting third baseman is slashing .380/.442/.582 with two homers, eight doubles, 10 walks and 10 strikeouts in his first 20 games. He was also 7-for-13 in MLB camp during an impressive spring that he capped off with a walk-off homer in an exhibition game in Montreal.

The only question for now is whether he makes a stop in Triple-A before he begins his MLB career. Once he’s in the Majors, he’ll be in the lineup on a regular basis. With Josh Donaldson expected back soon from the disabled list after missing time with shoulder discomfort, it’s possible that Guerrero spells him at third base a few days per week and serves as the designated hitter on other days. The odd man out would be Kendrys Morales, who is hitless in his last 21 at-bats and is 8-for-50 on the season.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 3 youngest players in the majors are all on the Braves. Pretty crazy. We started the season last year with 2 of the 3 oldest players in the Majors(Colon and Dickey)

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

“He’s ready,” one said.

They should probably trade him to the Tigers for Victor Martinez ... Toronto could use the speed.

9503554-mlb-los-angeles-angels-at-detroit-tigers.jpeg