• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 25 using computer rankings and metric systems

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using RPI, BPI, Sagarin, Massey and KenPom I award 30 points for 1st place, 29 for second etc etc all the way down to 1 for 30th. I then tally the totals. Top 25 is as follows.

1. Arizona 150 pts
2. Florida 138
3. Kansas 134
4. Duke 132
5. Villanova 127
6. Virginia 121
7. Wichita 118
8. Wisconsin 116
9. Creighton 111
10. Syracuse 102
11. Louisville 97
12. Michigan 85
13. Iowa State 78
14. UCLA 70
15. Michigan State 68
16. Iowa 67
17. Ohio State 66
18. Kentucky 61
19. Pitt 58
20. Cincinnati 57
21. VCU 48
22. No Carolina 47
23. UConn 41
24. San Diego St 34
25t. Gonzaga 30
25t. OK State 30

- Thoughts???

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
14-19 is a joke, actually.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
watching UNC vs ND makes me think their inclusion in this at all is a joke. what the hell are they doing out there????

CoolStoryBro

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Nova ahead of Cuse in any ranking,

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Nova ahead of Cuse in any ranking,

The same way UVA is ahead of Wisconsin or Michigan is ahead of Iowa State or Nova is ahead of Creighton I guess :)

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa, Ohio State, Kentucky and Pitt being where they are is somewhat ridiculous. The best any one of those teams' seed will be, at the moment is a very low 6. If Pitt would have lost at ND over the weekend, coupled with their loss last night, I honestly think they'd be one of the last teams in the field. As it stands now they are a 9/10 seed.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently Joe Lunardi was answering bracket questions on twitter last night and some of his responses are funny. My favorite one is when someone asked "where is Clemson?" and Lunardi replied "in South Carolina somewhere"

https://twitter.com/ESPNLunardi

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa, Ohio State, Kentucky and Pitt being where they are is somewhat ridiculous. The best any one of those teams' seed will be, at the moment is a very low 6. If Pitt would have lost at ND over the weekend, coupled with their loss last night, I honestly think they'd be one of the last teams in the field. As it stands now they are a 9/10 seed.

All the metrics I use aside from RPI arent really ranking a teams resume. They are rating teams based on actual ability as opposed to schedule and game won vs games lost. Where a team is seeded isnt always a good reflector of their actual talent. A prime example this year would be Louisville who isnt even in the top 30 in the RPI yet is undoubtedly a top 10 type team.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the metrics I use aside from RPI arent really ranking a teams resume. They are rating teams based on actual ability as opposed to schedule and game won vs games lost. Where a team is seeded isnt always a good reflector of their actual talent. A prime example this year would be Louisville who isnt even in the top 30 in the RPI yet is undoubtedly a top 10 type team.

That's fine and all. I just don't think any of those teams are top 20 good at the moment. I've seen iowa and Ohio State play at least 10 games this year. If you combine the two they'd be great. But iowa can't play D and Ohio State has no O. Iowa doesn't even have a great resume either. They have good talent, but just don't have what it takes on defense.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine and all. I just don't think any of those teams are top 20 good at the moment. I've seen iowa and Ohio State play at least 10 games this year. If you combine the two they'd be great. But iowa can't play D and Ohio State has no O. Iowa doesn't even have a great resume either. They have good talent, but just don't have what it takes on defense.

Ehhh.... Overblown hype BS man. Iowa went through a stretch where teams shot the ball great aginst them and teams score more against Iowa because there are more possessions in the game. Iowa defensive efficiency however is just fine ( 38th in the country ). Factually speaking Iowas D is more efficient than Syracuse, Pitt, Kentucky, UCLA, Iowa State, Duke, Wisconsin, Creighton and Michigan. I know you know your shit but in this instance you are just not right. Iowas D is plenty capable

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ehhh.... Overblown hype BS man. Iowa went through a stretch where teams shot the ball great aginst them and teams score more against Iowa because there are more possessions in the game. Iowa defensive efficiency however is just fine ( 38th in the country ). Factually speaking Iowas D is more efficient than Syracuse, Pitt, Kentucky, UCLA, Iowa State, Duke, Wisconsin, Creighton and Michigan. I know you know your shit but in this instance you are just not right. Iowas D is plenty capable

I will be honest, the last couple weeks have skewed my opinion on Iowa. And yes, you're right they do play more possessions so they will give up more points, however, the last 3 weeks they haven't looked the same they did at the beginning of the B1G. I'd be interested to see where they rank in defensive efficiency since February started. Also out of all those teams you mentioned I would say only Syracuse out of that group, I would consider plays very good defense(but they keep their possessions down, so those numbers can be skewed). All those teams are great offensive teams, along with Iowa. It's honestly really puzzling, not trying to bad mouth them or anything, if they play like they did early in the B1G they can definitely get to Dallas IMO.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be honest, the last couple weeks have skewed my opinion on Iowa. And yes, you're right they do play more possessions so they will give up more points, however, the last 3 weeks they haven't looked the same they did at the beginning of the B1G. I'd be interested to see where they rank in defensive efficiency since February started. Also out of all those teams you mentioned I would say only Syracuse out of that group, I would consider plays very good defense(but they keep their possessions down, so those numbers can be skewed). All those teams are great offensive teams, along with Iowa. It's honestly really puzzling, not trying to bad mouth them or anything, if they play like they did early in the B1G they can definitely get to Dallas IMO.

I think it was a combo of teams just shooting it well and Iowa having too many turnovers thus creating a lot of easy buckets ESPECIALLY in the Minnesota and Indiana games. The loss to Wisconsin Iowa played really well actually they just got beat by a team that played GREAT, it happens. We are really only talking about a 3 game stretch here and most every team has little spells where they either dont guard or dont score it well so Im not too concerned. Iowas slump just happens to be occurring at the end of the year instead of the middle so it skews peoples opinion on them. Im actually OK with that since I think it releives some pressure the guys may have been feeling.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was a combo of teams just shooting it well and Iowa having too many turnovers thus creating a lot of easy buckets ESPECIALLY in the Minnesota and Indiana games. The loss to Wisconsin Iowa played really well actually they just got beat by a team that played GREAT, it happens. We are really only talking about a 3 game stretch here and most every team has little spells where they either dont guard or dont score it well so Im not too concerned. Iowas slump just happens to be occurring at the end of the year instead of the middle so it skews peoples opinion on them. Im actually OK with that since I think it releives some pressure the guys may have been feeling.

Yeah, maybe you're right, although I didn't think they looked great against Purdue either, but they still pulled it out, and Purdue's been playing better as of late. I really have no clue what to think of them to be honest. They have good advanced metrics, but the results(resume) don't match them. They are basically Pittsburgh of a year ago, only slightly better.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe you're right, although I didn't think they looked great against Purdue either, but they still pulled it out, and Purdue's been playing better as of late. I really have no clue what to think of them to be honest. They have good advanced metrics, but the results(resume) don't match them. They are basically Pittsburgh of a year ago, only slightly better.

The reality is that if Iowa doesnt make a decent tourney run it wont be because of their D. It will be because they cant close games out. That is really this teams only bugaboo. Whther it be Nova, ISU, Wisky 2x, MSU the Hawks have had late leads evaporate for a multitude of reasons but reason A is that they simply dont make clutch FT's. Its that simple. If this team had shot FT's in the last 5 minutes of games at a rate similar to how they shot them the first 35 minutes you'd be talking about a 24-5 top 10 type team. Unfortunately in tourney play there are going to be many close games so we'll have to see what happens.