• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 15 5-Star Football Recruits Total Busts In College

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Dyer for us. Broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing record, had the talent to be a NFL feature back and just would not put the spice down. I do not care what team a person plays for when such a bright future is wasted by choice it is really sad.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Dyer for us. Broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing record, had the talent to be a NFL feature back and just would not put the spice down. I do not care what team a person plays for when such a bright future is wasted by choice it is really sad.
I would hardly call him a bust. He had back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons and had the biggest play in your national title win against Oregon. Any school would take a two year run by a RB like he had for Auburn.

I'd say Auburn has had much bigger busts. Bryon Cowhart comes to mind.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hardly call him a bust. He had back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons and had the biggest play in your national title win against Oregon. Any school would take a two year run by a RB like he had for Auburn.

I'd say Auburn has had much bigger busts. Bryon Cowhart comes to mind.

When you compare potential vs accomplishment then he was IMHO. Plus the four we had expelled over gun charges and burglary. As a program, too many of our kids were out of control at this time and that may impact my feelings on the matter. As you said, back to back thousand yard seasons but then what? Not due to injury, substandard QB or line play, but choosing damned spice over a lifetime of earnings through the NFL and as a professional in his field of study. It is a case study of the impact of choices made.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you compare potential vs accomplishment then he was IMHO. Plus the four we had expelled over gun charges and burglary. As a program, too many of our kids were out of control at this time and that may impact my feelings on the matter. As you said, back to back thousand yard seasons but then what? Not due to injury, substandard QB or line play, but choosing damned spice over a lifetime of earnings through the NFL and as a professional in his field of study. It is a case study of the impact of choices made.
It is, but from a macro view, that doesn't make his stay at Auburn a bust. There are a ton of RBs that never get back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons that aren't considered a bust. The fact that he was a major player on a team that won a National Title is even better.

When I think bust, I think of a guy who comes to a program with tons of hype and then contributes very little or nothing at all. He was an idiot, that's for sure, but I wouldn't call him a bust.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell is a 5-Star Football Recruit? :pout:

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it’s 5 football recruits
That is good...because I'm pretty sure my team can get at least five one-star recruits every year. And we've been known to get at least one two-star recruit every now and then.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good...because I'm pretty sure my team can get at least five one-star recruits every year. And we've been known to get at least one two-star recruit every now and then.
I've always thought how crazy it would be, especially these days when recruits are so in touch with each other with social media, if a group of like 5 or 6 high end elite recruits would just decide to go to, like, Purdue. Then all the sudden they're a top 10 team out of nowhere. It would be awesome.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought how crazy it would be, especially these days when recruits are so in touch with each other with social media, if a group of like 5 or 6 high end elite recruits would just decide to go to, like, Purdue. Then all the sudden they're a top 10 team out of nowhere. It would be awesome.
Until the NCAA comes in and drops the hammer and sends your program back to the stone ages. See Ole Miss soon.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the NCAA comes in and drops the hammer and sends your program back to the stone ages. See Ole Miss soon.
Oh no, I'm not talking dirty scummy shit. I'm talking kids that all decide they want to go to a school like that with an up and coming coach and just build it up instead of going to the traditional blue bloods.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no, I'm not talking dirty scummy shit. I'm talking kids that all decide they want to go to a school like that with an up and coming coach and just build it up instead of going to the traditional blue bloods.
I wish my school would do the "dirty scummy shit". We ain't gettin' the good 'ens any other way.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dillon Baxter comes to mind for USC. Pretty sure he was a 5 star. He was supposed to be the next Reggie Bush (minus the free house). Instead, he had academic and off the field issues. Transferred to San Diego St. where he never played and most recently was released twice by the Arizona Rattlers of the Arena League.

Also got Dillon Baxter his shot with Arizona Rattlers. He was released twice because he never showed up.

First time they cut him because they needed the roster room and he wasn't showing up until late. the second time he just never showed up to camp so they released him.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also got Dillon Baxter his shot with Arizona Rattlers. He was released twice because he never showed up.

First time they cut him because they needed the roster room and he wasn't showing up until late. the second time he just never showed up to camp so they released him.

Sounds a lot like his career at USC. lol