• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Romo to retire...?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but to be fair you found your tweet on your own and I copied mine from the General Board. So you win:suds:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had hoped he would get that ring. Classy guy and really put up some numbers. Wish him luck in the media stage of his career.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the thrills Tony it has been a blast and wild ride. Good luck on your new career all the Best !!!

Regards
CowboyColors

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Romo retired for good:

“I’d say there’s a 100 percent chance he makes a return somewhere in the NFL next season,” one AFC general manager told Bleacher Report, which noted several front-office types literally laughed at the notion that Romo is retired for good.

“Romo is now every teams emergency backup qb in case your starter gets hurt, pay him to come out of “retirement,’ ” an NFL executive told ESPN via text message.

“Tony Romo is ‘retiring’ from football to pursue broadcasting, BUT if Cowboys ever REALLY needed him, he’d consider coming back,'” a source told NFL Network.

Romo himself didn’t dismiss this notion: “I can play tomorrow,” he told reporters, adding he doesn’t “envision” returning, which is open-ended.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would be funny if we all of a sudden put together a package for a guy like Sherman or Richardson. We have had ho-hum FA periods lately and that would be our first "splash" in some time. Jets I'm sure would be up for it and I would love Richardson. But I get the feeling we mean it now when we say building through the draft

Our last splash at CB didn't turnout so well. I know, can't think like that.......

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting...

Things between Tony Romo and Jason Garrett still chilly
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 6, 2017, 6:35 AM EDT
Dallas Cowboys’ Tony Romo (9) is hugs head coach Jason Garrett, right, after they scored against the Minnesota Vikings late in the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Nov. 3, 2013, in Arlington, Texas. (AP Photo/Tim Sharp)

" data-medium-file="https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/350x-77.jpg?w=320" data-large-file="https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/350x-77.jpg?w=350" style="-x-ignore: 1">AP
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and quarterback Tony Romo can’t say enough good things about each other.

But when the topic turns to Cowboys coach Jason Garrett, well, let’s just say he and Romo probably aren’t hanging out at any basketball games anytime soon.

Via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, it has become clear that the tension between Romo and Garrett (shown here in happier times) is real.

During an interview on 105.3 The Fan, Romo had little to say about Garrett. They haven’t spoken since the end of the regular season, fueling the notion that Romo felt sold out when he wasn’t given a chance to compete for his old job last year once he was healthy, with the Cowboys sticking with rookie Dak Prescott.

But Romo was effusive in his praise of Jones for standing by him.

“He’s been great,” Romo said of the owner. “He’s been there for me through my entire time. There wasn’t anybody who stood up for me more last year. That meant as much as anything just the fact that he loved me and wanted good things for me. Things happen and that’s what happens in life. But you remember the people that help you along the way and appreciate you and love on you and give you grace and try and do the things that you’d hopefully want to do for others. He exemplifies that stuff.

“I really wish people would get a chance to see his heart and the way he just loves this football team, loves his family and just loves the people that have done right by him. There’s not a more loyal guy that you’ll ever meet. He’s always been that way and he’s always going to be that way.”

But the fact he had nothing to say about Garrett, who had worked with him every day since 2007 and was a frequent offseason travel partner, should tell you everything you need to know.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looking ahead...

With the Romo post 6/1 cut and retirement, Doug Free's retirement, and (I think) the likely restructure of Jason Witten coming, barring any major moves yet to come this off-season, Dallas will have in the neighborhood of $22+m in cap space to rollover to 2018. Taking into account the likely cap increase in 2018, the Cowboys have a projected roughly $25m in cap space on the books for 2018 as of today, with the $22m in rollover from 2017, Dallas might have upwards of close to $50m in cap space available next year. Some of that will be eaten up with Zack Martin's contract extension, but it's looking like Dallas will have a lot of cash available to play with in free agency in 2018.....and just maybe we will get away from doing any more restructures after this year.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at 2018. We still have a couple of big contracts to deal with.
T Smith 2018 cap hit as we sit here today is almost $18M
Dez almost $17M
Even without any more restructures both are huge again in 2019.

I agree we need to stop making restructures our SOP and make them more than exception to the rule. Not sure I think it will happen though...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas's philosophy has been very much restructures for what they consider corner stones. I don't expect that to end. I just hope they get smarter on who....like Crawford.

I also don't expect them to carry large amounts of cap space into 2018. I think they think they will add another vet this summer or from cuts towards the end of the exhibition season

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas's philosophy has been very much restructures for what they consider corner stones. I don't expect that to end. I just hope they get smarter on who....like Crawford.

I also don't expect them to carry large amounts of cap space into 2018. I think they think they will add another vet this summer or from cuts towards the end of the exhibition season

Why wouldn't they? Honestly, is there a good reason not to? Dallas isn't going to spend anywhere close to $22m the rest of this off-season, barring a major trade. Rolling the cap space over would give them the flexibility to front load the hell out of contracts in 2018 - like say Zack Martin and Lael Collins (should Dallas choose to re-sign).

I think a good barometer of how Dallas intends to handle the cap going forward will be the upcoming Martin extension - it should reveal a little bit about their intentions on cap management going forward.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked at 2018. We still have a couple of big contracts to deal with.
T Smith 2018 cap hit as we sit here today is almost $18M
Dez almost $17M
Even without any more restructures both are huge again in 2019.

I agree we need to stop making restructures our SOP and make them more than exception to the rule. Not sure I think it will happen though...

And even with those large cap hits, Dallas will have plenty of money to spend in 2018. No reason to restructure them next year that I can see.