• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tony Romo to retire...?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is replacing Phil Simms as CBS #1 analyst and will work with Jim Nance. I'd call that a sweetened deal.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Romo is replacing Phil Simms as CBS #1 analyst and will work with Jim Nance. I'd call that a sweetened deal.
If they could get rid of golf Whisper Nance too, then that would be fantastic

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Methinks Colin Kaepernick's stock has risen just a bit.
IDK, I think NFL teams are looking at the pros and cons. The cons outweigh the pros. Kap did not impress the owners by kneeling last season. At one point (before last season) I would have wanted him. He came across as a whiney bitch and a locker room cancer. I just know I would be pisst if the Cowboys signed him to be water boy

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IDK, I think NFL teams are looking at the pros and cons. The cons outweigh the pros. Kap did not impress the owners by kneeling last season. At one point (before last season) I would have wanted him. He came across as a whiney bitch and a locker room cancer. I just know I would be pisst if the Cowboys signed him to be water boy

No way does he play for a southern team after the kneeling thing.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still unclear. is he retiring? Is he being released? If released is it pre or post 6/1?
If I'm Dallas I'm not releasing him. I can't stop him from retiring but I'm not releasing him. I'm also not designating him post 6/1. That was a decision for a month ago when we could have used the money to sign a FA. What are we going to do with it now?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would they release him? The only thing I can think of is they want to do the post 6/1 designation and if he retires you can't do that. But I was hoping to get his contract off the books after this year. What are we going to do with the 2017 savings now? A lot of people had some negative things to say about Free making his decision late and thus not allowing us to use his cap savings in FA. I wonder how they feel about Romo waiting longer on an even bigger decision (if it was indeed his decision). My feeling is we all get to make our own decisions and should do them on our time.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why in the world would they release him? The only thing I can think of is they want to do the post 6/1 designation and if he retires you can't do that. But I was hoping to get his contract off the books after this year. What are we going to do with the 2017 savings now? A lot of people had some negative things to say about Free making his decision late and thus not allowing us to use his cap savings in FA. I wonder how they feel about Romo waiting longer on an even bigger decision (if it was indeed his decision). My feeling is we all get to make our own decisions and should do them on our time.

The story I read, which seemed to quote Jerry, said that it was at Romo's request he be released. I have not seen whether or not it is a 6/1 designation.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it seems official now...

Thanks Tony! It's been a blast. Pure class.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Spotrac has Romo as a 6/1 designation. Dallas has a bunch of cap room now. I wonder what it would cost to get Richard Sherman?

I guess releasing Romo with 6/1 designation makes sense, as opposed to just outright releasing him. You split the dead money, sure, but it gives Dallas flexibility to use that cap space this year. And if they don't, the Cowboys can roll it all over to next year and it will essentially be about the same thing as eating all the dead money this year. It just gives Dallas added flexibility in 2017.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting early Tuesday morning, numerous reports from around the NFL landscape indicated Romo’s intention to retire from playing and enter into NFL broadcasting. Regardless of his future plans, the Cowboys still opted to make him a post-June 1 cut from their roster – mainly as a bookkeeping measure.

If Romo had filed his retirement papers while still on the Cowboys’ roster, he would have cost the club $19.6 million toward their salary cap in 2017. By releasing him prior to retirement, the Cowboys can split that charge over the next two seasons. He will now cost $10.7 million against the salary cap in 2017 and $8.9 million in 2018.

The June 1 designation will save the Cowboys $14 million this year – though those funds won’t become available until June 2.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Spotrac has Romo as a 6/1 designation. Dallas has a bunch of cap room now. I wonder what it would cost to get Richard Sherman?

I guess releasing Romo with 6/1 designation makes sense, as opposed to just outright releasing him. You split the dead money, sure, but it gives Dallas flexibility to use that cap space this year. And if they don't, the Cowboys can roll it all over to next year and it will essentially be about the same thing as eating all the dead money this year. It just gives Dallas added flexibility in 2017.
It hurst us until 6/1 if we needed to do something this year, but I don't think we are planning anything and extensions can wait. I think I read a month or so back that the rule for the minimum spending ended last year? So that would mean no real downside to not spending dollars and rolling them over. There was also a rule about dead cap dollars versus total cap dollars, but I don't remember how that worked or if it is still the case. I know we usually have more dead money than other teams, so I wonder if carrying $19M in dead money in 2017 would have hurt us.

Would be funny if we all of a sudden put together a package for a guy like Sherman or Richardson. We have had ho-hum FA periods lately and that would be our first "splash" in some time. Jets I'm sure would be up for it and I would love Richardson. But I get the feeling we mean it now when we say building through the draft

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It hurst us until 6/1 if we needed to do something this year, but I don't think we are planning anything and extensions can wait. I think I read a month or so back that the rule for the minimum spending ended last year? So that would mean no real downside to not spending dollars and rolling them over. There was also a rule about dead cap dollars versus total cap dollars, but I don't remember how that worked or if it is still the case. I know we usually have more dead money than other teams, so I wonder if carrying $19M in dead money in 2017 would have hurt us.

Would be funny if we all of a sudden put together a package for a guy like Sherman or Richardson. We have had ho-hum FA periods lately and that would be our first "splash" in some time. Jets I'm sure would be up for it and I would love Richardson. But I get the feeling we mean it now when we say building through the draft
I would love to have Sherman. That would give us more flexibility in the draft.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Sherman. That would give us more flexibility in the draft.
If it were my call I'd pass on Sherman unless the asking price wasn't too much. But impossible to answer without knowing what it would take to get him. I'd rather use the pick in the draft and the salary cap $'s on another player than bring in a 30 yo loud mouth like Sherman. But, I certainly wouldn't be upset if the cost wasn't too much.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes more sense about release versus retire. I mentioned this the other day about him having to pay back money if he retired, but hadn't heard the answer until now. So who wants to say he was treated wrong by the Cowboys???

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1