• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tonneau cover or bed cap?

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard "cover" for the bed of my F150. It's a "Snugtop" cover . It makes the bed water tight as the cover fits over the bed completely and has weather stripping to seal it. You can lock it also. I relocated the tailgate handle to the inside of bed and shaved the tailgate. I pretty much made it a big trunk....LOL.

The drawback is you need two people at the very least to remove it.

View attachment 165292

View attachment 165293

Edit: That cover is 12 years old ! So is the truck. Bought both in 2005...truck is a 2006.

I had everything repainted Crystal Black Pearl. Which is a much darker black.
That looks like a damn drug dealers rig.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off if I was you I'd consider getting a real truck before I started adding stuff.

I have a vinyl trifold tonneau on my current truck. Factory item, came with it. The 2 before that I had ARE caps, they cost 2 grand or more.
The 2013 I had an aluminum trifold, came with it. The 2008 I had a fiberglass cover that hinged up from the front.

The fiberglass cover looks good and is waterproof but damn unhandy if you need to put something in the bed that's longer than the bed. No real way to tie the cover down as the lift cylinders are working against you. And you're limited to what you can fit in the bed.

Trifold aluminum and vinyl are great but really limited in what fits under them, just like the fiberglass. You can fold them though and have stuff sticking over the tailgate.

Camper shell is the best but a grand more to buy. I keep toying with the idea of putting mine back on, I still have it from my last truck trade. But it's green and my truck is silver and $500 to paint it. Also we're talking about getting a fifth wheel rv and hitting the road, so I'd have to take it back off for that. For what I actually have and what I do right now though the camper shell is the best option. The only drawbacks are it limits visibility a little since you're looking through 2 extra panes of glass out your rear view mirror and it takes longer to wash the truck with it on.
thanks, Fish. Good info.

for now, the Tacoma is as big a truck I need. An F150 would be too big for what I need it for. I didn't like the GMC and Chevy designs for trucks when I got this one. Plus, my first Taco was great, I have no reason to stray from Toyota.

I don't like the single joint covers. Seems too all or nothing. Throwing a cap on would take away from my ability to just throw something into the bed, which I would miss more than anything.

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks, Fish. Good info.

for now, the Tacoma is as big a truck I need. An F150 would be too big for what I need it for. I didn't like the GMC and Chevy designs for trucks when I got this one. Plus, my first Taco was great, I have no reason to stray from Toyota.

I don't like the single joint covers. Seems too all or nothing. Throwing a cap on would take away from my ability to just throw something into the bed, which I would miss more than anything.
I think most people buy Tacomas just because they think it's cool to call them "Tacos".

Bayou Tiger

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks, Fish. Good info.

Toyota Model Availability - Truck Caps and Tonneau Covers | SNUGTOP

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, I get up on my rear tires all the time to deal with the stuff I load on my trac racs and I'm about as far from an acrobat at this point of my life as it gets. I also have a real truck :thumb:
I just drove down to the lake store. I took a look at my back tires when getting in my truck. I ain't climbing up and standing on them. 20 inch tires, load range E, and the fender wells stick out past them.

Not happening.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2013 F150 cover was a roll away cover that was easy.

Now I have a flip cover on my 2016 thats nice but when you need to use the entire bed it's a pain.

View attachment 165287

View attachment 165288

My dad has that on his truck as well and I am jealous of it. If I added a cover it would be this. covered when you need it, but easily put out of the way when you are carrying more.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people buy Tacomas just because they think it's cool to call them "Tacos".
I had an S10 before my first Tacoma and I hated that little truck. I wanted to get as far away from it as I could and get something reliable. Loved that generation of Tacoma body style (2003) and went with it.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't plan on hauling anything real heavy the Tacoma is a decent small truck. They run forever.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Fish

Hoopla Cash
$ 630.80
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't plan on hauling anything real heavy the Tacoma is a decent small truck. They run forever.

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg
sometimes I wish I had the longer bed like that. The 5 ft bed can be a little short sometimes when hauling plywood or drywall

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dad has that on his truck as well and I am jealous of it. If I added a cover it would be this. covered when you need it, but easily put out of the way when you are carrying more.

No rain gets in the bed either. But I still like the roll away I had better

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes I wish I had the longer bed like that. The 5 ft bed can be a little short sometimes when hauling plywood or drywall
They have bed extenders. If you live or work in a city where parking is limited I can see where the shortbed would be a plus but ya the longbed is the only way to go imo when hauling stuff in the back.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go with the cap
I keep leaning that way. I think trucks look good with them on there.

there is a vendor nearby that sells ARE caps and another that does LEER. I might look into each of them.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hard "cover" for the bed of my F150. It's a "Snugtop" cover . It makes the bed water tight as the cover fits over the bed completely and has weather stripping to seal it. You can lock it also. I relocated the tailgate handle to the inside of bed and shaved the tailgate. I pretty much made it a big trunk....LOL.

The drawback is you need two people at the very least to remove it.

View attachment 165292

View attachment 165293

Edit: That cover is 12 years old ! So is the truck. Bought both in 2005...truck is a 2006.

I had everything repainted Crystal Black Pearl. Which is a much darker black.
Any fucking chance you get to post that fucking truck