• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tommy Rees QB=not that big of an issue

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing a lot of teams that have unproven QBs this year including Oklahoma, Michigan, and USC and other teams that have average at best QB's like Purdue, Michigan State, etc. Stanford is a different story because I think their QB is a stud and their team is boss. We don't play them until the last game of the season and we could be playing really well. Our defense is good from top to bottom so we will be in every game we play. If there was a year when we didn't need outstanding QB play; I believe it is this year. Tommy just needs to not turn over the ball, need to have a good running game. and the rest will take care of itself. I'm very confident in 10 wins this season

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I share this same opinion, except I wouldn't exactly say I'm very confident in 10 wins...more like I have a good feeling this team can/will still win 10 with softball Tommy at the helm. If I were Vegas, would probably set our over/under for wins at 9.5. Then bet the over cause I think (ok, maybe really hoping a lot) Tommy will make very nice progress in his last year as an Irish QB.

ThunderND

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a legit shot at winning all their games...they will have to compete and fight and scrap for many of them, but that's ok by me. Fight like last year!

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also think we win 10 or more games this year, but I am concerned about the offense. I keep hearing posters say the running game will be strong, but I'm worried. We have no proven runners, just a lot of unproven talent. My fear is that teams will play the run, and force us to pass, hopefully Rees, Hendrix or Zaire step up. Luckily, I think our defense can carry the team to 11 or 12 wins this year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now I see 8 wins. I think Rees will lose 2 games and then we will find away to lose 1 or 2 more. I have to see how they look in camp first before I make my prediction.

Smirishth

Smirishth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am unsure what or how the en of the season will look but I do feel this years schedule is tougher than most give credit for. There are a lot of key position replacements we have yet to play against and although I am happy with the defense I think we may have some REALLY close games...

Tommy is not a bad qb; I feel he will surprise a lot of even the diehard ND fans and am looking forward to seeing him under center.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All we can do is wait and see with Rees.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone already said, I think Tommy will be ok if he just manages the game and NO TURNOVERS. Stay within himself and dont try to force things like he used to. He was lucky he had an Eifert to bail him out many times, or the TO's would have been horrendous. Hopefully, he has learned now in his years with ND to not make the same mistakes he used to. I have always been impressed with his calm, composed demeanor, as long as BK doesnt start screaming at him again ... that was pretty painful to watch.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As someone already said, I think Tommy will be ok if he just manages the game and NO TURNOVERS. Stay within himself and dont try to force things like he used to. He was lucky he had an Eifert to bail him out many times, or the TO's would have been horrendous. Hopefully, he has learned now in his years with ND to not make the same mistakes he used to. I have always been impressed with his calm, composed demeanor, as long as BK doesnt start screaming at him again ... that was pretty painful to watch.

I actually liked when Kelly went off on the players, I felt the same way. Sometimes they just need to be screamed at...

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that used to make me nuts about Rees was that is always seemed like we were going to have the play clock expire, even when we were going no-huddle. It seemed like he snapped it with 1 second to go every play. I know he was always calm, but it got a little nerve wracking occasionally.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually liked when Kelly went off on the players, I felt the same way. Sometimes they just need to be screamed at...

Not when you're busting arteries in your neck on national TV. And, poor Rees, took the brunt of it. Any lesser of a kid would have folded under that berating, if you ask me. BK was horrible, in that regard, in his first year at ND. He seems to have calmed way down now ... I'm sure after watching video of himself on the sidelines when he went ape-shit on players. It was over-the-top. Don't get me wrong, I love intense coaching/coaches, but that was just too much ...

:2cents:

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're absolutely right. It was kinda embarrassing for the program, but if I was a coach I would do the exact same thing, some of Tommy's mistakes were just mind numbing...

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you're absolutely right. It was kinda embarrassing for the program, but if I was a coach I would do the exact same thing, some of Tommy's mistakes were just mind numbing...

So was alot of BK's play calling that set Rees up for failure, IMO. Some ludicrous plays called during that time. BK seemed to abandon the running game, totally, within the 10 yard line. That would drive me ABSOLUTELY insane! RUN THE DAMN BALL and stop passing so much in a limited field.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not when you're busting arteries in your neck on national TV. And, poor Rees, took the brunt of it. Any lesser of a kid would have folded under that berating, if you ask me. BK was horrible, in that regard, in his first year at ND. He seems to have calmed way down now ... I'm sure after watching video of himself on the sidelines when he went ape-shit on players. It was over-the-top. Don't get me wrong, I love intense coaching/coaches, but that was just too much ...

:2cents:

I think Swarbrick probably spoke to him after the one that was played a thousand times on espn. Although I also remember that Lou Holtz had his moments grabbing players (and refs).

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Swarbrick probably spoke to him after the one that was played a thousand times on espn. Although I also remember that Lou Holtz had his moments grabbing players (and refs).

This is true. Crazy Lou sure had his moments, also! :)

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is he will turn over the ball and he will turn it over a lot. That is why I never thought of him as a game manager. I think he doesn't make dumb mistakes its just that he lacks the talent to do what a QB needs to do. So most of his Ints are the right throw he just doesn't have the arm strength to get it there in time or he is like a sec late throwing it to the right spot.

NDHoosier101

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is he will turn over the ball and he will turn it over a lot. That is why I never thought of him as a game manager. I think he doesn't make dumb mistakes its just that he lacks the talent to do what a QB needs to do. So most of his Ints are the right throw he just doesn't have the arm strength to get it there in time or he is like a sec late throwing it to the right spot.

:agree:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know what you're saying, but let's just HOPE that he has learned his limitations and BK will call the right plays for him. He's certainly not a sprint-option QB ... that's for sure. What worries me the most is that he has no real safety net to throw to like he did with Eifert.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having a safety net may actually help. With Eifert in there, you always knew where Tommy was going. Without a go-to guy, hopefully we see him spread it around between Jones, Daniels, Niklas and maybe Carlisle out of the backfield. In any event, it will make it harder to defense him.