• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tommy Johnny Cueto

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its probably going on now. Wonder if the Giants will try to pick someone up this month or just roll with Chris Stratton/Ty Blach?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its probably going on now. Wonder if the Giants will try to pick someone up this month or just roll with Chris Stratton/Ty Blach?

And at some point you gotta figure they'll want to shut down/limit the innings of Suarez and Rodriguez

Reactions: LHG

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's scheduled for tomorrow. Heh, maybe I'll get to see him at the clinic.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it depends, but what would be the estimate on him pitching again? Any chance by next April?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it depends, but what would be the estimate on him pitching again? Any chance by next April?
fake-shock-gif-12.gif

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
???

He is getting TJ tomorrow. We won’t see him until 2020.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And at some point you gotta figure they'll want to shut down/limit the innings of Suarez and Rodriguez
Suarez Rodriguez and Holland are all 25 or older. That puts them past the age of having still developing bone structure, at least according to that SI article from yrs ago.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suarez Rodriguez and Holland are all 25 or older. That puts them past the age of having still developing bone structure, at least according to that SI article from yrs ago.

I'll admit I don't know the exact reasoning behind it all, but it usually has to do with inning management.

Suarez had 155 innings last year, which was his peak, and is at about 117 today.

Rodriguez is just in his fourth year pitching at all. Last year was the most innings he's thrown at 143, and today he's at 116.

IDK if the Giants will shut them down, but in the past they've been careful. But it's also been quite awhile since they've had a true starting pitching prospect to develop. And, as you say, these two aren't really true pups.

Suarez would probably be okay getting up to the 180s, but I do worry about D-Rod, if only because he's still so new to pitching.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I don't know the exact reasoning behind it all, but it usually has to do with inning management.

Suarez had 155 innings last year, which was his peak, and is at about 117 today.

Rodriguez is just in his fourth year pitching at all. Last year was the most innings he's thrown at 143, and today he's at 116.

IDK if the Giants will shut them down, but in the past they've been careful. But it's also been quite awhile since they've had a true starting pitching prospect to develop. And, as you say, these two aren't really true pups.

Suarez would probably be okay getting up to the 180s, but I do worry about D-Rod, if only because he's still so new to pitching.
If they limit D-Rod then he's going to get shut down in early September. If he averages 5 innings a start through August then he will be hitting his previous high before the month is over.

Suarez should be able to pitch through the end of the year. If the team makes the playoffs, then there is a question about whether he continues to pitch. But if both he and D-Rod are done, Cueto is out and Samardzija is not able to come back, then the rotation will consist of Bumgarner, Holland, Blach and Stratton. They would have to lean extremely on the bullpen in a playoff series.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they limit D-Rod then he's going to get shut down in early September. If he averages 5 innings a start through August then he will be hitting his previous high before the month is over.

Suarez should be able to pitch through the end of the year. If the team makes the playoffs, then there is a question about whether he continues to pitch. But if both he and D-Rod are done, Cueto is out and Samardzija is not able to come back, then the rotation will consist of Bumgarner, Holland, Blach and Stratton. They would have to lean extremely on the bullpen in a playoff series.
Um, if that's the rotation they don't have to worry about how to handle the playoffs

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Another reason this playoff chase is kinda dumb in the end, when you really break it down. If the Giants do end up having to shut 40% of their rotation down (maybe Moronta as well??) and replace them with 5th/6th starters/AAAA guys by September how are you going to survive the stretch run? We saw Bumgarner carry the team through October.... but that was four years and a couple injuries ago.

FWIW the Giants haven't said anything at all about shutting anyone down, just me speculating. Plus, if the Giants are playing meaningful baseball well into September, I'll take that. Maybe it just means the Giants are going to trade for a starter here in August.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another reason this playoff chase is kinda dumb in the end, when you really break it down. If the Giants do end up having to shut 40% of their rotation down (maybe Moronta as well??) and replace them with 5th/6th starters/AAAA guys by September how are you going to survive the stretch run? We saw Bumgarner carry the team through October.... but that was four years and a couple injuries ago.

FWIW the Giants haven't said anything at all about shutting anyone down, just me speculating. Plus, if the Giants are playing meaningful baseball well into September, I'll take that. Maybe it just means the Giants are going to trade for a starter here in August.
I don't see how anyone looks at our lineup and sees a playoff team. Not to mention our ever shrinking rotation. Aren't we a ,500 team?

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone looks at our lineup and sees a playoff team. Not to mention our ever shrinking rotation. Aren't we a ,500 team?

The team will say otherwise to save face (and the fact that the rest of the NL seems to be beating up on each other helps), but they are completely content playing .500 ball this year after last year. They're spinning that there's playoff hopes because the races are tight, but in reality I think they're fine coasting along this season, looking to make the big move this offseason.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team will say otherwise to save face (and the fact that the rest of the NL seems to be beating up on each other helps), but they are completely content playing .500 ball this year after last year. They're spinning that there's playoff hopes because the races are tight, but in reality I think they're fine coasting along this season, looking to make the big move this offseason.

Well sure. So we won't be adding in August.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well sure. So we won't be adding in August.

I didn't specify, but I meant like a minor move to get another arm. Especially now with Beede on the DL (and not even starting the past 2 months) the Giants have no SP depth unless they add Shaun Anderson to the 40-man roster.... but I think they'll want to limit his innings as well. I could see them adding a cheap back-end guy in August even just as depth.