• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Countdown to College Basketball

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NOVAs aspirations to get back to the Final 4 just took a big hit as their 5 star freshman Omari Spellman ruled academically ineligible.

Can't say I mind too much as still riding the high of last March.

But back to the 4 guard rotation! :dhd:
This sucks dude. But like you said it's a lot easier to take following a Natty than it would have been the last few years following early exits.

Gotta love the grace period!

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
38 Days till the season begins!

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hype for my MAC-Level team this season!

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big college basketball fun here. Saw this forum linked over on Rivals where we are getting shafted by a new policy.

Hopefully this CBB board picks up in season...?

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hype for my MAC-Level team this season!

MAC-level? Michigan returns essentially their entire roster from a team that won 10 Big Ten games last year. They also replace Andrew Dakich as the backup PG with top 75 recruit Xavier Simpson. I can't speak enough on how big that addition-by-subtraction is.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MAC-level? Michigan returns essentially their entire roster from a team that won 10 Big Ten games last year. They also replace Andrew Dakich as the backup PG with top 75 recruit Xavier Simpson. I can't speak enough on how big that addition-by-subtraction is.
It was a joke. They will be a 7-10 seed come tourney time I think. I just wish we had a coach who recruited better and played a more consistent offensive system. And who actually recruited good front court players.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a joke. They will be a 7-10 seed come tourney time I think. I just wish we had a coach who recruited better and played a more consistent offensive system. And who actually recruited good front court players.

Beilein is a solid coach. He is an elite offensive coach. He struggled the past couple years recruiting but Simpson should be a solid rotational player year one and the 2017 class (especially if you count Matthews) is really nice.

Hopefully bringing in Donlon can help toughen the defense up a little bit (or a lot of bit) because that softness is annoying.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big college basketball fun here. Saw this forum linked over on Rivals where we are getting shafted by a new policy.

Hopefully this CBB board picks up in season...?

It does pick up during the season a lot more. Not as much traffic as the college football board, but great discussions during the season.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think Belein is a great recruiter. Just take a look at the 2012-13 roster. NBA guys all over the place. I don't think any coach in the country has been hurt more than Belein by losing guys early to the NBA. I'm sure when he recruited the likes of Burke and Stauskas that they wouldn't have left after sophomore season. Same with GRIII. At Michigan its tough to get the one and done types. Especially now a days with Duke and Kentucky basically cornering the market on them. Overall I think Beleins done a fantastic job at Michigan. Especially given the state of the program the decade leading up to when he took over.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Belein is a great recruiter. Just take a look at the 2012-13 roster. NBA guys all over the place. I don't think any coach in the country has been hurt more than Belein by losing guys early to the NBA. I'm sure when he recruited the likes of Burke and Stauskas that they wouldn't have left after sophomore season. Same with GRIII. At Michigan its tough to get the one and done types. Especially now a days with Duke and Kentucky basically cornering the market on them. Overall I think Beleins done a fantastic job at Michigan. Especially given the state of the program the decade leading up to when he took over.

Our fan base is really split on it. There are a lot of people that share TeH's sentiments and it is the root of some heated arguments over on Michigan forums.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our fan base is really split on it. There are a lot of people that share TeH's sentiments and it is the root of some heated arguments over on Michigan forums.

That's really interesting given what he has accomplished at Michigan. I grew up with B1G basketball being a Gophers fan, so I know how much the program struggled at the end under Ellerbe and the mediocrity that it was under Amaker. He's gone to 6 tournaments in 9 years, 2 Elite 8's a FF and a NC appearance. That's pretty good IMO. I loved watching his teams at WVU, he didn't quite play that style at Michigan because he had better athletes and better overall players, but he's still a great offensive scheme coach IMO.

Michigan is going to be a little undersized for this year, but he has talent. It actually could be very similar to what he did at WVU in terms of style, with as many perimeter players as Michigan will have this year with Walton, Abdur-Rahkman, Irvin, Robinson, and the incoming freshman Simpson. FWIW, I think Donlon was a fantastic hire.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's really interesting given what he has accomplished at Michigan. I grew up with B1G basketball being a Gophers fan, so I know how much the program struggled at the end under Ellerbe and the mediocrity that it was under Amaker. He's gone to 6 tournaments in 9 years, 2 Elite 8's a FF and a NC appearance. That's pretty good IMO. I loved watching his teams at WVU, he didn't quite play that style at Michigan because he had better athletes and better overall players, but he's still a great offensive scheme coach IMO.

Michigan is going to be a little undersized for this year, but he has talent. It actually could be very similar to what he did at WVU in terms of style, with as many perimeter players as Michigan will have this year with Walton, Abdur-Rahkman, Irvin, Robinson, and the incoming freshman Simpson. FWIW, I think Donlon was a fantastic hire.

It stems from Beilein "neglecting" the Detroit AAU circuit. The AAU coaches there never gave Beilein a fair crack and roast him whenever he doesn't take time to view their unheralded players. He spends more time recruiting Indiana and Ohio than Michigan, but that has landed us guys like Burke, LeVert, Irvin, GRIII.

The sentiment of the fanbase that agrees with the AAU coaches now have a platform to stand on because of the underwhelming results the past two seasons. Nevermind that we lost Walton and LeVert two years ago and Albrecht and LeVert last year. The problem was obviously with Beilein (in their minds) and not with devastating injuries.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It stems from Beilein "neglecting" the Detroit AAU circuit. The AAU coaches there never gave Beilein a fair crack and roast him whenever he doesn't take time to view their unheralded players. He spends more time recruiting Indiana and Ohio than Michigan, but that has landed us guys like Burke, LeVert, Irvin, GRIII.

The sentiment of the fanbase that agrees with the AAU coaches now have a platform to stand on because of the underwhelming results the past two seasons. Nevermind that we lost Walton and LeVert two years ago and Albrecht and LeVert last year. The problem was obviously with Beilein (in their minds) and not with devastating injuries.

I think the people calling for his dismissal should be careful what they wish for. The only reason expectations have increased at Michigan is because of what Beilein has done during his tenure. As for not recruiting the Detroit AAU scene, I don't necessarily think that's a bad idea. As you mentioned he's found great success outside the state of Michigan. And as you fairly mentioned the last 2 years Michigan was devastated with injuries to key players. Playing much of the last 2 years without a top 20 pick is pretty significant.

hailtoyourvictor

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Until the posting issue gets fixed.... | Rivals Message Boards

I just posted that. If you didn't see over on the football board, Rivals decided that any poster without a paid subscription would be limited to like 3 posts per day and then get locked out. There is a migration going on over there. Our college basketball board isn't as active as the college football board, but a few posters might be looking for a place to post.

I can't make new threads yet. Someone want to make a Rivals CBB Posters thread so they have a place to check in if they come?