• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial 2017 college baseball bullshit thread

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We started our season yesterday with a loss to Wright St. Who the fuck is Wright St.? We play them again today and tomorrow.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We won the 2nd game yesterday 6-2. Rubber match today.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, Wright State beat the fuck out of us today, 9-2, to take the series. :L

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UVa won their tourney, beating Liberty, Citadel and Kansas.

On a side note, awful weekend for #10 ECU. Went 0-3 vs Ole Piss.

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dominant LSU baseball polishes off memorable weekend with sweep of service academies

Greg Deichmann (7) is met and congratulated by Kramer Robertson (3) after Deichmann his a two-run homer in the fourth inning of LSU's 10-3 win over Air Force Academy Sunday in LSU's Alex Box Stadium. The homer tied the score at 2.

The LSU baseball team used a pair of home runs to power a six-run fourth inning and clinch a weekend sweep of visiting service academies with a 10-3 win Sunday afternoon against Air Force at Alex Box Stadium.

The Tigers (3-0) finished with 11 hits, four of which went for extra bases, and outscored their opponents 25-3 this weekend. They swept a pair against Army to open the season Saturday.

It was a dominant performance. But for the first time all weekend, LSU trailed as it came to the plate in the fourth inning after Air Force (2-2) scored a pair of runs in the top half.
LSU didn’t wait long to answer.

"We had to see how we were going to respond, and we come back the bottom of the inning and get six runs," senior second baseman Cole Freeman said.

Two batters into the inning, junior right fielder Greg Deichmann clubbed a game-tying two-run homer into the right-field bleachers. It was a low line drive that cut through a strong wind blowing from right to left and somehow stayed high enough to clear the fence.

Can't see video below? Click here.

“I just squared it up really well,” he said. “It was kind of one of those that was a violent swing.”

That violent swing resulted in his second home run of the weekend. That was the type of production coach Paul Mainieri was worried he might be without after Deichmann was struck in the face by a pitch in practice Feb. 10.

Mainieri tried urging the left-handed Deichmann to use the wind to his advantage and look for a ball to hit the opposite way.

Related

Luke Johnson: Great weekend for LSU baseball, plus a meaningful salute to service
1. How about those freshmen?

“He smokes that one into the right-field stands. He comes to the dugout, and I said, ‘You’re not very coachable,’ ” Mainieri said. “That ball was a missile, wasn’t it?"

The score was still tied when freshman third baseman Josh Smith came to bat with runners on the corners and two outs. In his first at-bat, he missed his first career home run by a few feet, the ball being hauled in at the warning track for a loud out.

Not this time. Air Force pitcher Jacob DeVries made a mistake with an 0-2 pitch, and Smith pummeled it. He pumped his fist as the ball settled into the right-field seats for a three-run, go-ahead homer.

What Mainieri liked most about Smith's home run was that it came shortly after he made a costly error in the top half of the inning.

“He showed what he’s made of, the moxie that he has,” Mainieri said. “That’s what winners do, and you can tell Josh Smith has that about him.”

Freeman, who finished the weekend with a .600 batting average after picking up two hits in each game, capped the inning when he doubled and then scored from second base on a wild pitch to give LSU a 6-2 lead it wouldn’t give up.

“The only reason I went was because I knew Antoine (Duplantis) had two strikes on him and two outs,” Freeman said. “All I saw when I hit third (base) was the catcher standing straight up, and he wasn’t making an attempt for a ball. I weighed the options and took off.”

Freshman Eric Walker (1-0) was fantastic at the start, striking out five in three perfect innings. But he ran into trouble in the fourth when he stopped locating his pitches.

He gave up his first hit to Air Force’s Nic Ready, then followed that by walking Tyler Jones on eight pitches. Jones fouled off a pair of two-strike pitches before Walker lost him on a 3-2 breaking ball.

Related
+27

Jared Poché notches spot in LSU baseball lore with no-hitter; Tigers sweep doubleheader
Not long after being mobbed by his teammates on the mound, senior pitcher Jared Poché receiv…

The first Air Force run came across on an error by Smith, who bobbled a ground ball and then threw wide of second base on a potential double play ball. That opened the door for Tyler Zabojnik to rope an RBI single into center.

But Walker soon settled in. He got out of the inning with a 6-4-3 double play, then had a perfect fifth inning to finish his outing and earn his first win.

Not bad by any stretch, but Mainieri said he’s capable of better.

“He’s got to be a little better, but I thought he was pretty good for his first start out there,” he said.

LSU added to its lead in the sixth inning, when Freeman ripped his sixth hit of the weekend into left-center to score Smith, another in the seventh on Jake Slaughter’s RBI single and two more in the eighth on Kramer Robertson’s two-run double.

The Tigers visit UNO at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday (CST).

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska split a double header on Friday with UC Riverside then had the remaining two games cancelled due to rain....in Arizona

jwolt92

The voice of fuckin reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU lost game 1 of the season to VCU. Anyone know if they've got a stud? 1 hit effort.

FSU took the next two pretty convincingly

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FSU lost game 1 of the season to VCU. Anyone know if they've got a stud? 1 hit effort.

FSU took the next two pretty convincingly
Thompson was all-conference his freshman year, but put up pretty suburban numbers in his sophomore campaign. Nice record of 6-1 but had an era of 3.28. His team needed to score 9 or more runs in multiple games of those wins, his season got cut in April it appears, assuming he was injured. Maybe he had surgery and came back better, it happens a lot in baseball.

Pokes-WalkingBoss

Hoopla Cash
$ 19,807.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sprh-0219-cowboys-vs-missouri-3_w800.jpg

Nate Fisbeck hits his third home run of the Lake Area Classic in Sunday's 4-3 win against Missouri State. (Rick Hickman / The American Press)

McNeese's Nate Fisbeck named National Player of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper
Last Modified: Monday, February 20, 2017 4:35 PM
By Chandler Rome / The American Press

Nate Fisbeck’s weekend garnered national attention.

Fisbeck, who hit three home runs, a triple and had 11 RBI in McNeese State’s undefeated run through the Lake Area Classic, was named one of ten National Players of the Week by Collegiate Baseball Newspaper on Monday.

Fisbeck shared the honor with Sam Houston State pitcher Heath Donica, who struck out 14 in a one-hit complete game shutout against Nevada on opening night.

A .184 hitter who had four hits in 49 at-bats last season, Fisbeck became the first McNeese player since Lucas Quary to hit a home run in three consecutive games and, in Friday’s 18-2 win against Stony Brook, was the first player since 2001 to drive in seven runs in one game.

He finished his weekend 5-for-13 with 16 total bases.

“He had a great weekend,” Cowboys coach Justin Hill said Monday. “He’s seeing the ball, putting good swings on it. I don’t think what he did necessarily surprised anybody, the guy works. He was in the fight with us last year. Now, was some of the power something we hadn’t quite seen? Yeah. He’s got a level head on his shoulders.”

Fisbeck’s solo home run during Sunday’s 4-3 win against Missouri State, a moonshot that cleared the first wall in left field, was the game’s deciding run.

“I’m trying to keep the mindset of hunting fastballs against fastball pitchers and being able to do something with it,” Fisbeck said after Sunday’s game when asked to encapsulate his weekend. “I felt like I’ve been putting good swings on the ball and it finally added up.”

Off to a 3-0 start that has it as high as No. 8 in early RPI rankings, McNeese travels to UL-Monroe tonight for a 6 p.m. midweek game, the Warhawks’ home opener following a weekend series at Dallas Baptist.

Hill has a simple plan for Fisbeck.

“Keep putting him in the lineup,” he quipped

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thompson was all-conference his freshman year, but put up pretty suburban numbers in his sophomore campaign. Nice record of 6-1 but had an era of 3.28. His team needed to score 9 or more runs in multiple games of those wins, his season got cut in April it appears, assuming he was injured. Maybe he had surgery and came back better, it happens a lot in baseball.

I'd like to believe he came back better and just dominated and will continue to do so this year, especially after coming out the first game and only giving up one hit.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to believe he came back better and just dominated and will continue to do so this year, especially after coming out the first game and only giving up one hit.
Even if he is an average pitcher, you can't get upset with a poor showing by the home team in their first game at the plate. It always takes hitting a little longer to catch on than pitching. Pitching has the edge early on.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he is an average pitcher, you can't get upset with a poor showing by the home team in their first game at the plate. It always takes hitting a little longer to catch on than pitching. Pitching has the edge early on.

And the offense did show up games 2 and 3. Just figured this was a case of "oh hey this school has an absolute stud" as their number 1 and the rest of their staff sucks. But either way, I'm hoping this is finally the year Martin gets his trophy from Omaha

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the offense did show up games 2 and 3. Just figured this was a case of "oh hey this school has an absolute stud" as their number 1 and the rest of their staff sucks. But either way, I'm hoping this is finally the year Martin gets his trophy from Omaha
The sport of baseball is so much more competitive than it use to be in the past. That is why a team like Coastal Carolina won the title last year. No other sport will you really see this. Why? It is all about the willingness to pour resources into the sport. That is why LSU dominated in the 90's, there were only a handful of teams each year that posed a legitimate threat. Those who posed a threat had fewer resources, and Skip Bertman is and always will be the most dominant coach over the course of a decade college baseball will ever see. (Not including USC's run when only 10 teams played baseball). Now, LSU returns a loaded team that by 90's standards would be Omaha lock, possibly playing for a title, and they may not even win the SEC because of how good the conference is.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sport of baseball is so much more competitive than it use to be in the past. That is why a team like Coastal Carolina won the title last year. No other sport will you really see this. Why? It is all about the willingness to pour resources into the sport. That is why LSU dominated in the 90's, there were only a handful of teams each year that posed a legitimate threat. Now, LSU returns a loaded team that by 90's standards would be Omaha lock, possibly playing for a title, and they may not even win the SEC because of how good the conference is.

College baseball has by far the most parity of any sport in D1 sports. Teams like Coastal Carolina and Oregon State winning national titles, but also a bunch of other schools winning regionals. Plus these guys are basically playing their assess off just for a chance to get drafted.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College baseball has by far the most parity of any sport in D1 sports. Teams like Coastal Carolina and Oregon State winning national titles, but also a bunch of other schools winning regionals. Plus these guys are basically playing their assess off just for a chance to get drafted.
That's why when so many people are like, I just can't watch college baseball, I don't get it. I can't stand MLB baseball. I watch these college kids hustle every pitch, play their tails off every single time they touch the field. Now I am also very partial because LSU is Louisiana's pro baseball team. My family has had 3 grand stand tickets since before I was born, and I go to nearly every home game. The fiance and myself are taking our first ever trip together to Houston to watch LSU play against #1 TCU, Texas Tech, and Baylor in Minute Maid Park.

Major League baseball season is extremely too long and not nearly as much parody. I don't get how someone who loves sports can claim college baseball is a lesser product. Yes the best kids get drafted, but go watch an SEC baseball series live especially in Alex Box, and tell me it doesn't matter.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why when so many people are like, I just can't watch college baseball, I don't get it. I can't stand MLB baseball. I watch these college kids hustle every pitch, play their tails off every single time they touch the field. Now I am also very partial because LSU is Louisiana's pro baseball team. My family has had 3 grand stand tickets since before I was born, and I go to nearly every home game. The fiance and myself are taking our first ever trip together to Houston to watch LSU play against #1 TCU, Texas Tech, and Baylor in Minute Maid Park.

Major League baseball season is extremely too long and not nearly as much parody. I don't get how someone who loves sports can claim college baseball is a lesser product. Yes the best kids get drafted, but go watch an SEC baseball series live especially in Alex Box, and tell me it doesn't matter.

I've been to games at FSU and some small midwestern colleges, but I'll put any big time southeast school baseball game ahead of most college football atmospheres. I love pro baseball, but there's nothing like a good college baseball game. There's 9 dudes in every lineup bustin their ass trying to get a look from the show instead of a few guys cashing in on guaranteed contracts.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been to games at FSU and some small midwestern colleges, but I'll put any big time southeast school baseball game ahead of most college football atmospheres. I love pro baseball, but there's nothing like a good college baseball game. There's 9 dudes in every lineup bustin their ass trying to get a look from the show instead of a few guys cashing in on guaranteed contracts.
If you ever get a chance to stop by Alex Box, I really recommend it. It is a football atmosphere inside of a baseball stadium. And Tiger fans legitimately are knowledgeable fans of the game, and have respect for the game. All the horror stories you hear from football have no bearing on baseball. Another reason I love LSU baseball is it is a great environment to enjoy the game. I will say, don't sit in the grandstand and cheer for another team, you will tick season ticket holder off, I have seen it! But it is an unwritten rule of common courtesy, you only sell to LSU fans.

jwolt92

Hoopla Cash
$ 68,125.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever get a chance to stop by Alex Box, I really recommend it. It is a football atmosphere inside of a baseball stadium. And Tiger fans legitimately are knowledgeable fans of the game, and have respect for the game. All the horror stories you hear from football have no bearing on baseball. Another reason I love LSU baseball is it is a great environment to enjoy the game. I will say, don't sit in the grandstand and cheer for another team, you will tick season ticket holder off, I have seen it! But it is an unwritten rule of common courtesy, you only sell to LSU fans.

There's a few places I want to check off in the next few summers, LSU being one of them. I want to chill out in the Vandy parking garage (while I'm still young enough), go down to ASU for a weekend tournament, and hit the ACC and SEC conference tournaments.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a few places I want to check off in the next few summers, LSU being one of them. I want to chill out in the Vandy parking garage (while I'm still young enough), go down to ASU for a weekend tournament, and hit the ACC and SEC conference tournaments.
I'm thinking about maybe making the ride out to Hoover this year for the conference tournament depending on bank account etc. Saving up for a house, need a new car, so not sure how that kind of drive and hotel stay looks right about now.