• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to talk about the draft!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the moves the Seahawks have made in the offseason have me rethinking the draft.

Not just the additions, but also trading Flynn away. That gets me thinking that the best insurance policy may be to upgrade the offensive line. Now perhaps the guys getting healthy is enough of a upgrade by itself.

I still think a DT will get taken by the Seahawks and of course a OL.

What do you guys think about the draft. What positions you see the Seahawks picking?

Any certain players you really like?

Lets get the draft talk rolling!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming over here to troll Super? You won't last long on this board.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I have guys I would like the Hawks to target:

2nd Round
Menelik Watson, OT FSU

3rd Round:
Zaviar Gooden, OLB Missouri

4th Round:
Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

5th Round:
Akeem Spence, DT Illinois

Kerwynn Williams, RB Utah State

6th Round:
Lawrence Okoye, DE England

7th Round:
Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA

Jeff Tuel, QB Washington State

Brandon Kaufman, WR Eastern Washington

Brett Maher, K Nebraska

Tanner Hawkinson, OT Kansas

There are others I like, but I just figured I would list one for each pick. I have been really high on Marquess Wilson of WSU as well, but he's been moving up boards (not fast, but fast enough) and I would rather not go WR earlier than the 6th with what was given for Harvin.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Menelik Watson , could be a good pick. He's going be 25 and has limited experience from what I heard of him. Got some good god given tools however.

Can you expand on what you like about him. I really don't know a lot about him. Have you watched him play?

Tyrann Mathieu was a player worth taking a flyer on, but I was thinking more like the 5th round...doesn't look like he would last that long.

nk12thman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

4th Round:
Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

5th Round:

I don't see these two lasting that long.

JohnShadows

Bayesian
Hoopla Cash
$ 706.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Btw, guys, over on the NFL general board, we've been running a Mock Draft. Be interested what you think of the Hawks picks, there.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It definitely couldn't hurt to reinforce the offensive line so Wilson doesn't have to run for his life as often. He obviously can do it well if he has to, but I'm sure he and the team would like to limit the times that he has to if they can. With Carroll's competition mantra, whomever they get won't necessarily just be a backup. We could be looking at potential starters here.

The surprising (to me at least) amount of work Schneider did to bring players in via free agency has certainly changed what we think of as "needs" in the draft, but I do think the focus will still be on the defensive line regardless of the guys we've already added to the mix in free agency. I don't know all the prospects well enough to know who we should be looking at or who would be available from the second round on, but I trust Carroll and Schneider to get guys that fit Carroll's system.

There was a lot of debate over on the forum that shall no longer be named about the type of defensive tackle that we needed both from a technique standpoint and from a body-type standpoint. Some thought we needed a Casey Hampton big bodied type of defensive tackle and some thought we should go taller and leaner. With Red being the biggest "big bodied" guy on the team not even playing tackle, which type of player do you think they'll go after for defensive tackle in the draft?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some players I like: Khaseen Greene, Rutger, Kawaan Short, Purdue ( he may be gone before the Seahawks have a pick) Arthur Brown, Kansas St., Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern, Kyle Long, Oregon.

Just to name a few...

Khaseen Greene is under sized perhaps, but the guy was everywhere on defense. I just like the way he brings it and his attitude.

Kawaan Short could be our Jason Jones this year, he can put some pressure on the QB from the DT spot

Brandon William a run stuffer deluxe.

Kyle Long similar to Menelik Watson in that he has god given tools and limited experience.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2nd Round
Menelik Watson, OT FSU

3rd Round:
Zaviar Gooden, OLB Missouri

4th Round:
Tyrann Mathieu, CB LSU

5th Round:

Kerwynn Williams, RB Utah State

6th Round:
Lawrence Okoye, DE England

7th Round:
Joseph Fauria, TE UCLA

Jeff Tuel, QB Washington State

Brandon Kaufman, WR Eastern Washington

Brett Maher, K Nebraska

Tanner Hawkinson, OT Kansas

There are others I like, but I just figured I would list one for each pick. I have been really high on Marquess Wilson of WSU as well, but he's been moving up boards (not fast, but fast enough) and I would rather not go WR earlier than the 6th with what was given for Harvin.

I've heard rumors the Seahawks are really interested in Quinton Patton. I like him a lot, he reminds me a lot of Brandon Lloyd. I saw one scouting report compare him to Golden Tate which I found a bit surprising since I feel like Patton is a much, much better route runner but figured I'd throw that out there.

Golden Tate's contract expires and Sidney Rice is a massive cap hit that will be removed either this preseason (I give it a 10% chance) or next preseason if he does not eclipse 1,000 yards. With the contract extensions the Seahawks will be responsible for in the near future unless Sidney Rice proves he's a $10m+ receiver this season, he's gone. Which is why it makes it so critical that we find his replacement.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard rumors the Seahawks are really interested in Quinton Patton. I like him a lot, he reminds me a lot of Brandon Lloyd. I saw one scouting report compare him to Golden Tate which I found a bit surprising since I feel like Patton is a much, much better route runner but figured I'd throw that out there.

Golden Tate's contract expires and Sidney Rice is a massive cap hit that will be removed either this preseason (I give it a 10% chance) or next preseason if he does not eclipse 1,000 yards. With the contract extensions the Seahawks will be responsible for in the near future unless Sidney Rice proves he's a $10m+ receiver this season, he's gone. Which is why it makes it so critical that we find his replacement.

Yeah the same point was made by the draft gurus on the Seahawks ESPN board. I'm just not that impressed with Patton myself.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NK - In a 7 round mock on CBS about a week ago, I took Mathieu in the second, which is where I would realistically take him. Watson was gone on that mock, so Mathieu was my second choice. With Winfield signing, I don't really like anyone else they may get except maybe Tharold Simon as a possible future replacement for Browner, who is 31 right now.

Harold - I like his size and athleticism going along with is potential. The Hawks have the best O-Line coach in the NFL, so as long as he wants to be great, he's got the coach who can make him that.

234 - I know that Patton showed sub 4.5 speed at the combine, but I've read reports that he struggles with separation. I am not sure the Hawks need another WR who can't get open. I would also be surprised to see a second round pick going to WR, but hey, it wouldn't be the first time that PC and JS surprised me with a draft pick.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldenspur - Not sure I like the draft so far, which could mean that it's more accurate than mine ;).

Terron Armstead
Chase Thomas
Gavin Espobar
Denard Robinson
Michael Buchanan

I don't mind the Armstead pick, but I really don't like the Robinson pick. There are so many much better WRs on the board at that time, and Robinson won't be competing for a back up QB spot in Seattle.

Again though, Seattle drafts so oddly that anything goes, and I may not get even one pick right this time around. (I got 1 in 2011 and 3 in 2012).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we agree on Patton. I think the point was that he would save a bunch of cap space if he replaced Rice.

I rather the Seahawks find a guy that creates some separation.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we agree on Patton. I think the point was that he would save a bunch of cap space if he replaced Rice.

I rather the Seahawks find a guy that creates some separation.

Watching his film I personally disagree about his inability to get separation.

He runs real crisp routes and is quicker than his 4.5 indicates. I don't see him as a #1 type WR but more of a possession Deion Branch or Brandon Lloyd type guy.

I see him as a guy who runs real nice routes, gets open regularly on short to intermediate routes but will probably struggle going deep against NFL caliber speed.

IMO his only downsides are that he does not project as a "superstar" #1 WR but as a real nice possession type guy like Deion Branch or Brandon Lloyd. His other downside is his size. His height is okay, but although he is listed at 200lbs he looks more like 180lb to me. He has the quickness and explosiveness to beat press coverage but is not going to out-muscle anyone.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I have a really big fascination with is Margus Hunt.

He is listed at 6'8 280lbs, ran a 4.60 40, 38 reps on the bench and had a 34 inch vertical.

The guy is an athletic freak. He blocked 8 kicks in his first 14 games at SMU and had 8 sacks last season.

Obviously his size, 40 and bench are very impressive but he is very raw. As a player at SMU on defense he was not mind blowing and looked lost at times at the senior bowl.

I'm not advocating the Seahawks drafting Hunt but he is really an interesting option. With his natural ability and size he could develop into something very special, but with the whole Bruce Irvin experiment I'm not sure the Seahawks want to take in another project player.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also will he be there when the Seahawks draft?

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking more about specific positions and specific kinds of skills than about individual players, because it's hard to project which players fall to the lower rounds.

1. Run-stuffing DT (I think it's the only remaining hole on this team that needs to be fixed before the Hawks begin the season).

After this, the next order of priority is WOLB/RT (Hawks could use upgrades at both positions, but also can go with what they have on hand).

And then after that, there's drafting for depth or 'wish list' kind of players:

* Vertical-threat TE
* 4.3-something 1/2 WR
* Slot CB

It looks like there are plenty of DT prospects in this draft, especially if the concern is primarily run-stuffing rather than pass rushing. With Michael Bennett now a Hawk, they should be able to get better interior pressure in passing situations. But the Hawks need to a serious disrupting force in the middle for running situations-- someone who doesn't get pushed back or pushed around by zone blocking schemes or double teams, and clogs things up if not making a lot of tackles for no gain. The Hawks Run D should have been better last year-- and RBs getting to the second level by running straight ahead between the tackles seemed to me the biggest problem. We get a good space-eating run-stuffer in this draft and I'm good with anything else that the Hawks do.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking more about specific positions and specific kinds of skills than about individual players, because it's hard to project which players fall to the lower rounds.

1. Run-stuffing DT (I think it's the only remaining hole on this team that needs to be fixed before the Hawks begin the season).

After this, the next order of priority is WOLB/RT (Hawks could use upgrades at both positions, but also can go with what they have on hand).

And then after that, there's drafting for depth or 'wish list' kind of players:

* Vertical-threat TE
* 4.3-something 1/2 WR
* Slot CB

It looks like there are plenty of DT prospects in this draft, especially if the concern is primarily run-stuffing rather than pass rushing. With Michael Bennett now a Hawk, they should be able to get better interior pressure in passing situations. But the Hawks need to a serious disrupting force in the middle for running situations-- someone who doesn't get pushed back or pushed around by zone blocking schemes or double teams, and clogs things up if not making a lot of tackles for no gain. The Hawks Run D should have been better last year-- and RBs getting to the second level by running straight ahead between the tackles seemed to me the biggest problem. We get a good space-eating run-stuffer in this draft and I'm good with anything else that the Hawks do.

I agree about bringing in a run stuffing DT. I've just got to state that I sort of hope the Seahawks consider moving Red Bryant inside. I know that he did not really flourish in the NFL until Pete Carroll tried the experiment of putting him at end, but I have to imagine a guy like him could have a good impact inside for us. I just feel like he's too one dimensional to have starting at end.

I also feel like a DT through the draft would be a good idea because quite a few of our defensive linemen are on short contracts: Michael Bennett is on a 1 year contract, Cliff Avril is on a 2 year contract, Tony McDaniel is on a year contract, Clinton McDonald's contract expires after this season.

So the Seahawks will have 3 defensive linemen with contract's expiring after this season. Makes sense to start filling in with the draft.

seafandoghawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about bringing in a run stuffing DT. I've just got to state that I sort of hope the Seahawks consider moving Red Bryant inside. I know that he did not really flourish in the NFL until Pete Carroll tried the experiment of putting him at end, but I have to imagine a guy like him could have a good impact inside for us. I just feel like he's too one dimensional to have starting at end.

I also feel like a DT through the draft would be a good idea because quite a few of our defensive linemen are on short contracts: Michael Bennett is on a 1 year contract, Cliff Avril is on a 2 year contract, Tony McDaniel is on a year contract, Clinton McDonald's contract expires after this season.

So the Seahawks will have 3 defensive linemen with contract's expiring after this season. Makes sense to start filling in with the draft.

Good point about the possibility of moving Big Red. Keeping forgetting that it's even an option. But yeah, the D-line of the Hawks has what amounts to a lot of auditions going on right now-- Avril, Bennett, McDaniel, McDonald. Would really like to see them take a good DT prospect in the draft-- would provide depth, affordability, and stability.

And I'm tired of seeing RBs rush between the tackles and get to the second level as frequently as seemed the case last year. The Hawk's speed at LB, and run support from the secondary, should be enough if the Hawks can make RBs quickly bounce to the outside. Running laterally against the Hawks D isn't nearly as good an idea as trying to keep moving straight northward. If the Hawks strengthen/toughen the D-line interior, I'm not seeing a significant hole anywhere in the starting 22.