• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time to dust off the golf swing

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons why I don't golf:

1. It's friggin expensive.

2. It takes to long to play.

3. The last time I played, I hit the ball off the tee of one hole, and it landed on the green of another hole.:peep:

Good thing me and my buddy went on a slow day. I didn't hit anybody. And I just had my buddy to laugh his head off at me.

Golf is one of those activities that if the bug bites you...none of your 3 reasons would matter, you would find a way. But...if it doesn't, all 3 matter.

Safe to say the golf bug didn't bite you.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from vacation in NW cheeseland and played Big Fish. Awesome Pete Dye layout and shot an 88. Pretty happy with that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got back from vacation in NW cheeseland and played Big Fish. Awesome Pete Dye layout and shot an 88. Pretty happy with that.

Big Fish, uh...Sounds like a good time all around...July 4th weekend I went up to this state park and there's a course (Arrowhead Pointe) on the lake up that rivals many of the high priced tracks on Lake Oconee (btw...Lake Oconee may have the best collection of public access golf courses in the state...but bring the plastic!

Anyway...for $40 we played it...I turned a 39 front into 84...then we replayed it for $20, and I turned a 44 front into 85...blowup hole on 18 killed any chance of breaking 80 on the 1st 18...never was that close on the back 18...even though I only shot 1 higher.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Fish, uh...Sounds like a good time all around...July 4th weekend I went up to this state park and there's a course (Arrowhead Pointe) on the lake up that rivals many of the high priced tracks on Lake Oconee (btw...Lake Oconee may have the best collection of public access golf courses in the state...but bring the plastic!

Anyway...for $40 we played it...I turned a 39 front into 84...then we replayed it for $20, and I turned a 44 front into 85...blowup hole on 18 killed any chance of breaking 80 on the 1st 18...never was that close on the back 18...even though I only shot 1 higher.

Ouch. Still sounds like two pretty good rounds. I know "Big Fish" is a funny name, but it is located right in the middle of what is generally considered one of the best fresh water fishing locations in the US (The Chippewa Flowage). Funny that Pete Dye would even consider doing a course in that country but it truly is a remarkable track. Oh, and BTW, my son and I got the Tuesday special - 38 bones to ride

Check it out

Big Fish Golf Club ? Championship Golf Course in Hayward Wisconsin

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot an 84 last weekend... More drunk golf with the gents. My friend got upset after he duck-hooked a drive off the tee so he smacked his driver against his bag... Broke the head off his driver and broke the shaft on his 3-wood in his bag... Never seen a grown ass man more happy in my life

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shot an 84 last weekend... More drunk golf with the gents. My friend got upset after he duck-hooked a drive off the tee so he smacked his driver against his bag... Broke the head off his driver and broke the shaft on his 3-wood in his bag... Never seen a grown ass man more happy in my life

These are the golf moments I live for. A birdie means nothing by comparison.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ouch. Still sounds like two pretty good rounds. I know "Big Fish" is a funny name, but it is located right in the middle of what is generally considered one of the best fresh water fishing locations in the US (The Chippewa Flowage). Funny that Pete Dye would even consider doing a course in that country but it truly is a remarkable track. Oh, and BTW, my son and I got the Tuesday special - 38 bones to ride

Check it out

Big Fish Golf Club ? Championship Golf Course in Hayward Wisconsin

Big Fish...I did check it out...very nice...lot of elevation change it appears...much like a GA course....I don't think I've played a Pete Dye course yet, but I played one of his brother's designs...Riverdale Dunes in CO...really nice 36 hole facility...they're a bit sneaky calling a Dye design...make you think it's the more famous sibling. The Dye course I really want to play is the The Teeth of The Dog...my father in law says it's probably the best course in the Caribbean.

My golf...yeah...not displeased but left a lot to be desired on the 1st 18. I was on like I haven't been in a long time...birdied the 1st and 5 straight pars to be -1 thru 6...then things went sideways a bit but still 39 was good for me...then started the back off in good fashion, par, par, then I lost it with bogey, dbl, par, par, dbl, par, +4 (snowman) to shoot 45 on the back....that's golf.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Man Face...sounds like a good time!...I can't putt worth a damn as it is, but it gets worse after 3 or 4 cold ones, so I reserve the heavy lifting for the 19th as there is usually some coin on the round.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Face...sounds like a good time!...I can't putt worth a damn as it is, but it gets worse after 3 or 4 cold ones, so I reserve the heavy lifting for the 19th as there is usually some coin on the round.

I'm a 2-3 putt general... I'll slam dunk the occasional birdie from outside of 10-15 ft. And I mean slam dunk in a literal sense. Put some steam on it to take the breaks right out of play!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a 2-3 putt general... I'll slam dunk the occasional birdie from outside of 10-15 ft. And I mean slam dunk in a literal sense. Put some steam on it to take the breaks right out of play!

You got some game...I say I can't putt worth a damn, but the real issue is inconsistency...I can have a pro like round 27, 28 putts, and the next week 37,38 putts...avg about 33 per rd....I don't play the same course that often, so speed control is the culprit, but I should be better than that.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never really that consistent with putting. My FIR & GIR are always pretty damn good. If golfing was scored off of those alone then I would be pulling in 7 figures annually on tour lol

My friends & fam always make fun of my putting. It's always been an area of my game that eludes me. I play the same 5-6 courses regularly while I'm home, but I'm always trying to play new courses when I travel. Played a few places over in Oregon not that long ago.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never really that consistent with putting. My FIR & GIR are always pretty damn good. If golfing was scored off of those alone then I would be pulling in 7 figures annually on tour lol

My friends & fam always make fun of my putting. It's always been an area of my game that eludes me. I play the same 5-6 courses regularly while I'm home, but I'm always trying to play new courses when I travel. Played a few places over in Oregon not that long ago.

Lol...I hear ya...probably the most consistent part of my game is chipping, and pitching...getting it within 5-6' or better is my game...some days I can drop the par putts and shoot pretty good, other days...in the shitter. Driving...still a problem, I'll hit 11 FWs, then pump 2 OB or dropping and hitting 3...gotta figure a way to keep the blowup holes down.

GIR...what's that? That's why I was so pissed at my last round...hit 12 GIR (a lot for me) and still failed to break 80.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol...I hear ya...probably the most consistent part of my game is chipping, and pitching...getting it within 5-6' or better is my game...some days I can drop the par putts and shoot pretty good, other days...in the shitter. Driving...still a problem, I'll hit 11 FWs, then pump 2 OB or dropping and hitting 3...gotta figure a way to keep the blowup holes down.

GIR...what's that? That's why I was so pissed at my last round...hit 12 GIR (a lot for me) and still failed to break 80.

We need to get together so you can teach me how to chip, and I'll help with your driving. And of course, we can both share the putting experience because misery loves company.

My last round I think I only hit 2 greens out of regulation, and that's probably my usual, unless beer is involved. I really need to get my gap wedges (56deg & 60deg) honed in from the 100-120 range because I tend to leave myself a lot of green for each putt. I did stuff one within 3 ft on my last round from about 145 out (pitching wedge). Highlight of my round for sure!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get together so you can teach me how to chip, and I'll help with your driving. And of course, we can both share the putting experience because misery loves company.

My last round I think I only hit 2 greens out of regulation, and that's probably my usual, unless beer is involved. I really need to get my gap wedges (56deg & 60deg) honed in from the 100-120 range because I tend to leave myself a lot of green for each putt. I did stuff one within 3 ft on my last round from about 145 out (pitching wedge). Highlight of my round for sure!

Getting to together...I've certainly given thought to heading up to PIT for a game. But we're building a new house this year so for now I think I will be content watching them play @ ATL this year. If you are ever in the ATL or near here in your travels, give me a heads up...I would love to play.

I would say my biggest issue with golf right now is competition...90% of rounds I play are with my best friend/golf buddy. He has a good swing, can hit it long, but just hates to practice, I'm 8 to 10 shots better than him on most days thus I lose focus sometimes. Take more chances (with driver when a 3w or 2 hybrid will do to put the ball in play) than I would if I were playing a tourney or with someone like yourself whose probably better than me.

I used to play with a group of guys that had more game, but I ran into a few guys that apparently didn't do well in math, or couldn't read a rulebook...not a problem if there's no $ on the line just out having a good time. They always had a $20 per player pot (every week he would have 10 to 16 guys - top 3 in the money) and I made enough donations that watching somebody hit OB and drop and hit 3...then beat me by a couple a shots...no, that was not cool. The organizer has called me a couple times to play this year stating he's cleaned that up, but they played during the week a lot, and I'm a weekend player these days.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reasons why I don't golf:

1. It's friggin expensive.

2. It takes to long to play.

3. The last time I played, I hit the ball off the tee of one hole, and it landed on the green of another hole.:peep:

Good thing me and my buddy went on a slow day. I didn't hit anybody. And I just had my buddy to laugh his head off at me.

Golf is one of those activities that if the bug bites you...none of your 3 reasons would matter, you would find a way. But...if it doesn't, all 3 matter.

Safe to say the golf bug didn't bite you.

I used to feel exactly like Nascar Addict. I thought the game was for rich white folks with more time and money than they knew what to do with. When I turned 40, I just decided I was going to get into it. Starting reading every golf book and magazine I could find, learned some history about the game, bought 100$ worth of used equipment, and started going to the range for a year before I ever set foot on a course. When guys found out I was getting into it, they started giving me their old equipment, going with me to the range, and playing rounds with me to help me improve and to learn some etiquette.

It doesn't have to ruin your bank account if you stay away from all the "new, improved!" gear they trot out every season, and it doesn't have to take too long if you just play 9 holes or a par-3 course. Or do what i do mostly, and go whack a bucket full at the range. I've never broken 100 but I enjoy it and I don't have to shoot an 80 to give my life purpose and meaning. I just love being out in creation, on a beautiful course, where it's mostly quiet, and having some time to myself.

And when you hit that ONE good shout out of 100, there's no better drug in the world to compare.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting to together...I've certainly given thought to heading up to PIT for a game. But we're building a new house this year so for now I think I will be content watching them play @ ATL this year. If you are ever in the ATL or near here in your travels, give me a heads up...I would love to play.

I would say my biggest issue with golf right now is competition...90% of rounds I play are with my best friend/golf buddy. He has a good swing, can hit it long, but just hates to practice, I'm 8 to 10 shots better than him on most days thus I lose focus sometimes. Take more chances (with driver when a 3w or 2 hybrid will do to put the ball in play) than I would if I were playing a tourney or with someone like yourself whose probably better than me.

I used to play with a group of guys that had more game, but I ran into a few guys that apparently didn't do well in math, or couldn't read a rulebook...not a problem if there's no $ on the line just out having a good time. They always had a $20 per player pot (every week he would have 10 to 16 guys - top 3 in the money) and I made enough donations that watching somebody hit OB and drop and hit 3...then beat me by a couple a shots...no, that was not cool. The organizer has called me a couple times to play this year stating he's cleaned that up, but they played during the week a lot, and I'm a weekend player these days.

I'd definitely hit you up to swing the sticks if I was ever in your neck of the woods! I can safely tell you now, if that were to happen... There would definitely be beer involved! :suds:

Yea that wouldn't be very fun. I've been involved in a few company scrambles where I was willing to bet everything I owned that the winning group knocked a few swings off their scorecard. I can be pretty competitive when I'm in league play, but if I'm just out shootin the shit with a friend then I like to have more fun with it. I love "goin for it" on short par 4's... "Let the big dog eat!" is all I would say! But being involved in something competitive and knowing someone cheated ruins the experience for me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to feel exactly like Nascar Addict. I thought the game was for rich white folks with more time and money than they knew what to do with. When I turned 40, I just decided I was going to get into it. Starting reading every golf book and magazine I could find, learned some history about the game, bought 100$ worth of used equipment, and started going to the range for a year before I ever set foot on a course. When guys found out I was getting into it, they started giving me their old equipment, going with me to the range, and playing rounds with me to help me improve and to learn some etiquette.

It doesn't have to ruin your bank account if you stay away from all the "new, improved!" gear they trot out every season, and it doesn't have to take too long if you just play 9 holes or a par-3 course. Or do what i do mostly, and go whack a bucket full at the range. I've never broken 100 but I enjoy it and I don't have to shoot an 80 to give my life purpose and meaning. I just love being out in creation, on a beautiful course, where it's mostly quiet, and having some time to myself.

And when you hit that ONE good shout out of 100, there's no better drug in the world to compare.

Great post.

Late starter like myself...I took up golf seriously @ 36 y/o. Playing a little over 16 yr now.

I had been to the range a few times in NJ, but when I moved south to ATL I had a little more discretionary income...the competitor in me is really how I started. In the cul de sac where I lived, my neighbors all played golf. I was asked to go play with them once and I didn't even own any clubs...an older neighbor lent me his spare set...off I go a par 3 course...I didn't whiff any, but I shanked more than a few...over the course of 18 holes...I did catch one shot pure, the only problem was I hit a 6iron when they told me to hit 9 iron...flew the green by a good margin, but was straight at the flag. I was bitten by the golf bug that day.

A few weeks later for father's day I got a set of clubs (brand new, fitted for taller than avg height), a bag, and a set of 6 lessons. The lessons were a big, big boost...much like you I spent the better part of 3 mos hitting balls, and my instructor said..enough hitting balls...go play. I learned the basic rules and I started playing...took about 5 or 6 times out before I broke a 100, but it had little to do with my golf swing...the short game is how I was able to do it.

Golf can be fun if you can't break a 100, but it's a WHOLE lot more fun if you can break 90. If I were to start a newbie in the game or had it to do over...work from the green backwards...learn to chip, pitch and putt 1st.

Costs...that initial investment was about $500 bucks, cheap clubs, bag, and lessons, and my 1st 5 or so rounds.
I played mostly late afternoons when the prices were the lowest and the courses were the least crowded.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great post.

Late starter like myself...I took up golf seriously @ 36 y/o. Playing a little over 16 yr now.

I had been to the range a few times in NJ, but when I moved south to ATL I had a little more discretionary income...the competitor in me is really how I started. In the cul de sac where I lived, my neighbors all played golf. I was asked to go play with them once and I didn't even own any clubs...an older neighbor lent me his spare set...off I go a par 3 course...I didn't whiff any, but I shanked more than a few...over the course of 18 holes...I did catch one shot pure, the only problem was I hit a 6iron when they told me to hit 9 iron...flew the green by a good margin, but was straight at the flag. I was bitten by the golf bug that day.

A few weeks later for father's day I got a set of clubs (brand new, fitted for taller than avg height), a bag, and a set of 6 lessons. The lessons were a big, big boost...much like you I spent the better part of 3 mos hitting balls, and my instructor said..enough hitting balls...go play. I learned the basic rules and I started playing...took about 5 or 6 times out before I broke a 100, but it had little to do with my golf swing...the short game is how I was able to do it.

Golf can be fun if you can't break a 100, but it's a WHOLE lot more fun if you can break 90. If I were to start a newbie in the game or had it to do over...work from the green backwards...learn to chip, pitch and putt 1st.

Costs...that initial investment was about $500 bucks, cheap clubs, bag, and lessons, and my 1st 5 or so rounds.
I played mostly late afternoons when the prices were the lowest and the courses were the least crowded.

If I lived down South, I'd hit the course more often.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I lived down South, I'd hit the course more often.

I'm sure you would...our housing cost literally was cut in half moving down here in '96...getting more expensive and more crowded now, but I'm sure the NE is still much higher.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you would...our housing cost literally was cut in half moving down here in '96...getting more expensive and more crowded now, but I'm sure the NE is still much higher.

Yep, and the courses are just too crowded. Greens fees aren't that unreasonable for public courses, but they're packed and the fairways are too worn down.