• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time for an Uncomfortable Discussion about the Defense and Bob Sutton

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I was shocked that the Chiefs went and used their new found cap space on a WR. The defense has holes throughout and the only big addition was an average Off ball Linebacker.
Apparently the Chiefs GM said he was trying to trade for Watkins and Hitchens last year so this has been part of the plan for awhile hence the overpays.

This is a good draft to fix the defense and a bad draft for WRs imo so I can kinda see why they did what they did. I'm just not sure they have the ammo to fully fix the defense unless Ford and/or Kpassagnon are a big part of their pass rush next season.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently the Chiefs GM said he was trying to trade for Watkins and Hitchens last year so this has been part of the plan for awhile hence the overpays.

This is a good draft to fix the defense and a bad draft for WRs imo so I can kinda see why they did what they did. I'm just not sure they have the ammo to fully fix the defense unless Ford and/or Kpassagnon are a big part of their pass rush next season.

Yeah Chiefs look like they are going to try and outscore everyone this upcoming season. The defense will take a couple of years to rebuild.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Chiefs look like they are going to try and outscore everyone this upcoming season. The defense will take a couple of years to rebuild.
I would be very pleased if they just approached average at this point with how the Offense/ST's looks; that seems pretty optimistic at present. Need a safety, an outside CB, a NT for base, and another DE and maybe another LB for passing situations (Hitchens and Ragland are very exploitable in coverage as a tandem, imo) that's not something that's going to get fixed until at least 2019 at the earliest most likely.

30th in DVOA. 32nd weighted. Unacceptable.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it could be average next year if they stay healthy. With the usual wear and tear of an NFL team, though, they might be a little ways away.

The Chiefs had about 1 or 2 street-level players at CB at any given time last year and that compromised the whole defense. Eric Berry going down gave them issues against TEs.

Meanwhile on the other end, the Chiefs didn't have any reliability at Nose Tackle and they've had issues on run defense for awhile now. I think they are probably still going after another CB and thats a higher priority to them and they'll probably try to patch up Nose Tackle just due to the amount of time the Chiefs spend in max coverage schemes.

The fact that they didn't spend big money on run defense suggests to me that they're either really smart or really stupid. Watching the Steelers play the Chiefs was just...wrong. The Steelers oline would just eventually push back the outmanned Chiefs dline and Bell would just wait. It wasn't some sort of magic formula he was using. He just waited for the numbers on the Steelers side to do their job.

But the larger issue with the Chiefs was the pitch and catch problems with the secondary. They fix that then the other issues become easier to manage.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

Nunez-Roches ---> Derrick Nnadi
Bennie Logan ---> Xavier Williams
Derrick Johnson ---> Anthony Hitchens
Kevin Pierre-Louis ---> Dorian O'Daniel
Tamba Hali ---> Breeland Speaks
Ron Parker ---> Armani Watts
Marcus Peters ---> Kendall Fuller
Terrance Mitchell ---> David Amerson

Younger almost across the board.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can tackle- already better for the Sorenson role than Sorenson

Oh snap!

Well, I can't say I know a ton about this guy, but the more I see, I like

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can tackle- already better for the Sorenson role than Sorenson

Oh snap!

Well, I can't say I know a ton about this guy, but the more I see, I like

He is a good coverage LB. Not sure I see him as that long-term solution as a 3-down LB though.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a good coverage LB. Not sure I see him as that long-term solution as a 3-down LB though.
Yeah, I just see him as replacing Sorenson at LB depth for sure. Hoping he can give some SS snaps, but we will see.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So....

Nunez-Roches ---> Derrick Nnadi
Bennie Logan ---> Xavier Williams
Derrick Johnson ---> Anthony Hitchens
Kevin Pierre-Louis ---> Dorian O'Daniel
Tamba Hali ---> Breeland Speaks
Ron Parker ---> Armani Watts
Marcus Peters ---> Kendall Fuller
Terrance Mitchell ---> David Amerson

Younger almost across the board.
It's definitely a better defense. Just how much better it needs to be to stave off the Chargers and/or earn a playoff spot? Who knows.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty grating given Dorsey was just fired supposedly because he sucked at the cap. I am pretty sure the D will be better than last year all in all after the draft, but they have chosen a pretty inefficient way to go about it. Could be so much easier if they didn't hand away Peters for peanuts.
Yerp

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DdL6izCU8AAxyZ3.jpg

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:tsk:

Well, I don't know what to even say to that now. I guess we're stuck until next year. DB heavy drafting next year seems inevitable.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:tsk:

Well, I don't know what to even say to that now. I guess we're stuck until next year. DB heavy drafting next year seems inevitable.

Every team has a weakness and for the Chiefs it is definitely looking like the CB group will be that. Good thing next year's CB group is looking stronger than this past draft. Much more top heavy for sure.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team has a weakness and for the Chiefs it is definitely looking like the CB group will be that. Good thing next year's CB group is looking stronger than this past draft. Much more top heavy for sure.
Yeah. If DVOA is any indication they're literally starting from the bottom moreorless as a collective. Just an extra layer of frustration as it makes Steven Nelson redundant and kind of pointless in my opinion if they go through with this. Very curious to see how the front 7 shakes out, but the secondary is going to have me looking at mock drafts one way or another quite a bit this year.