• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time for a gun safe

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have the product and/or # for that large safe pic on page 1 from Tractor Supply?

I need to get one. thanks

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after selling gun safes for a couple of years, this is a great quick safe. 1 issue, biometrics. Biometrics are a great concept but the early models have a hard time reading the finger unless its exactly in the correct position. I would rather practice a code a bunch of times and be quick with an intruder in the house than get flustered, sweaty with a biometric reader.

I personally like the coded ones over the biometric and actually talked many people into avoiding the biometrics. now that was a couple of years ago, the biometrics seem to be improving every year.

Forgot to say I took your advice and got this one:
GunVault VelocityVault VV500 SpeedVault Pistol Gun safe Hand Gun Safe Vault New

It's mounted up high in a closet behind sportcoats n sech. It's good stuff for 100 bucks.

s-l1600.jpg

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about getting that same kind of safe but the only thing holding me back are the multiple reviews talking about how they can cause small electrical fires.

Really? Maybe I shouldn't have it in a walk-in closet fulla' clothes. Still, it's just a battery powered mechanism that opens it...2 AA batteries. I'm not sure how that could start a fire any more than my electric tie rack.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Maybe I shouldn't have it in a walk-in closet fulla' clothes. Still, it's just a battery powered mechanism that opens it...2 AA batteries. I'm not sure how that could start a fire any more than my electric tie rack.
Not this specific case but multiple others by the same manufacturer on Amazon with batteries so I would assume the risk is similar. Although, the ones that mention electrical fires tend to have larger than AA like 7/8/9 volts.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to put one up high in the master closet...on the side of a cabinet so it's easy and fast to find yet still hard to find behind my suit coats.

What'd you dudes get?

I was thinking of this one and would appreciate any feedback. I think I'd prefer the biometric fingerprint thingy on this type instead of the combination thingy.

GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Fingerprint Gun Safe SVB500 Biometric Safe

GunVault Gun Storage Safe Speedvault Series Biometric or Digital Keypad | eBay

Yeah buddy this is the next purchase for when I buy my next home. Tough to
Move these bad boys.

Good info

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate that...just ordered this one: GunVault Biometric Safe : Cabela's

because it's big enough to hold some coins and other shit I'd like in there as well.

I need to get one too.....especially as I have several collectible firearms that are worth $ that I would not like to lose. Plus A few long guns....and what the hey might as well throw the passport and some cash I keep laying around in there too etc. If you're gonna get a safe, might as well get one big enough to hold valuables as well as all your guns.

Why do you favor the biometric ones though? What's wrong with a combo?

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need to get one too.....especially as I have several collectible firearms that are worth $ that I would not like to lose. Plus A few long guns....and what the hey might as well throw the passport and some cash I keep laying around in there too etc. If you're gonna get a safe, might as well get one big enough to hold valuables as well as all your guns.

Why do you favor the biometric ones though? What's wrong with a combo?

I ended up getting the combo one for my ready handgun. The best deals I've seen on big safes are at the Harbor Freight store. I sent my hunting rifle and shotguns to my brother up north. I'll never use 'em down here.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I inherited 6 or so shotguns from my dad when he passed away. Some are worth something, but mainly they were his and I want to have them. We used to hunt quail and woodcock when I was younger, but I haven't been shooting in many years. I could possibly get into it again, but if not, I still want the guns.

Anyways, I am looking for a safe. I don't think a cabinet will keep the moisture out as well and I would like it to be fire resistant.

These are the options I am looking at
Stack-On Steel Security Safe : Cabela's
or
Stack-On 14-Gun Safe with Combination Lock - Matte Hunter Green - BJ's Wholesale Club

any opinions?

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so I inherited 6 or so shotguns from my dad when he passed away. Some are worth something, but mainly they were his and I want to have them. We used to hunt quail and woodcock when I was younger, but I haven't been shooting in many years. I could possibly get into it again, but if not, I still want the guns.

Anyways, I am looking for a safe. I don't think a cabinet will keep the moisture out as well and I would like it to be fire resistant.

or
Stack-On 14-Gun Safe with Combination Lock - Matte Hunter Green - BJ's Wholesale Club

any opinions?
Either will work fine so wait until they go on sale.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as moisture goes, just buy one of those dehumidifier sticks that go inside the safe. I think they are like $20 or so. And if you're storing for long periods I would oil the guns well and pull them out and reapply every 6-12 months.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biometrics have come a long way now. They really are very good now but as in most cases you go cheap and that is what you get. I still have them but plan to upgrade soon to newer ones that are just better.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have and like the electronic button combo lock. They also have a key for back up.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

or

any opinions?

None of them will keep moisture out. They are not sealed and you don't want them sealed that's when you get condensation and your guns rust. I own three liberty safes. I have the Signatures 50's from Cabela's. Every one of my safes have a dehumidifier rods and dehumidifier packs along with hygrometer in each one so I know the level of humidity in each safe. Every one of my guns have a gun sock of them. I wipe my guns down with Break Free CPL every three months and store them all barrel down and not stock down. Why I don't want the oil to run into the stocks and weaken the heads of the stocks. You will never get as many guns as the say in the safes due to scopes and what not. I also store a lot of other important things in my safes. If your married include your partner in the buying process you might find out you need a bigger safe then what you think. I also would never put my safe in the basement of your house. The Main reason is humidity and potential water issues.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My nephew, a master sergeant in the airforce, just received a patent a couple of months ago on a new biometric handgun safe. I'm hoping to get one to test for him.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My nephew, a master sergeant in the airforce, just received a patent a couple of months ago on a new biometric handgun safe. I'm hoping to get one to test for him.
What is special about it?

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is special about it?

Well, to be honest, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head. I saw the rough idea when he began developing the safe. I followed the process of development and prototype engineering, as well as his efforts to gain a patent on it once that he had a finished product.
I remember him telling me the specifics, but since I had brain surgery my memory isn't what it used to be. I don't recall one bit of detailed information. I know it is unique. I'll get info on it later today and post it up.

If I don't forget.