• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tiger Woods to be DQed

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
of course it would be within the rules IN THAT SCENARIO, but his the lines were 60* apart, not 6* apart. I'm just not buying it.
:2cents:

The thing is that it's a rule that can be misinterpreted by players pretty easily...that's what I think happened in this case...he wasn't trying to cheat...there are several rules in golf where you can give yourself an advantage...

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might want to ask the officials since they're the ones that did not disqualify him and decided to give him the 2 stroke penalty instead. No matter how much debate is made by the public, they're the ones that looked at the rules in detail to determine the penalty and that's what they decided upon.

Trust me, i would if I could. Obviously I don't make the decision and they do. I just have not heard anything from them explaining how the rule allows for them to waive a disqualification penalty considering the wording of the rule.

The R&A and the USGA confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognizing that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach.

There is obviously something I am missing, and I'm not pretending to know the rules. I'm just trying to figure out what allowed him to stay in the competition

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have there reasons, but I haven't found where they go into them with all the full details and reasons.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011 the R&A implemented a rule stating something to the effect that if some lifeless homo calls in about a rules breach after the player is done with their round they can waive the DQ on a case by case basis, the USGA essentially adopted the rule as well

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011 the R&A implemented a rule stating something to the effect that if some lifeless homo calls in about a rules breach after the player is done with their round they can waive the DQ on a case by case basis, the USGA essentially adopted the rule as well

I just quoted the explanation of that rule, but I'll do it again.

This is straight from the USGA website
This revision to Decision 33-7/4.5 addresses the situation where a player is not aware he has breached a Rule because of facts that he did not know and could not reasonably have discovered prior to returning his score card. Under this revised decision and at the discretion of the Committee, the player still receives the penalty associated with the breach of the underlying Rule, but is not disqualified.

In revising the decision, The R&A and the USGA confirm that the disqualification penalty still applies for score card breaches that arise from ignorance of the Rules of Golf. As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules, while recognizing that there may be some rare situations where it is reasonable that a player is unaware of the factual circumstances of a breach.

USGA: 2011 News Archive

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011 the R&A implemented a rule stating something to the effect that if some lifeless homo (LOC) calls in about a rules breach after the player is done with their round they can waive the DQ on a case by case basis, the USGA essentially adopted the rule as well

:lol:Fify

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't aware that he was breaking the rules, that's the rare situation where he is still allowed to play...It obviously doesn't spell out that you may not be dq'd, I think it's interpreted that way

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't aware that he was breaking the rules, that's the rare situation where he is still allowed to play...It obviously doesn't spell out that you may not be dq'd, I think it's interpreted that way

"As such, this decision reinforces that it is still the responsibility of the player to know the Rules"

He is still suppose to know the rules and still is suppose to be penalized. The rule is for something like if your ball moves so slightly that you cant tell except on camera, or if you hit sand or a leaf on your backswing and can't tell except on camera. He knew the facts that led to the penalty. The rule seems pretty clear on the USGA website that you can't get away with being stupid.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is all bc the rules committee did not mention the investigation with Tiger at the end of the round. They made a bigger mistake than Tiger did, so that is most of the reason why they probably decided not to DQ him. It would of made them look worse than anyone in this situation.

tech_iceman

#winning
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why are people still talking about this? he's 7 back on the leader... get over it

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tiger-shots-side-by-side.jpg

http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/blog/woods-receives-2-shot-penalty-stays-tournament

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, they made a ruling based on a phone convo with someone that called the "violation" in, when there was no violation.

The Masters have been complete asses this year. This, and picking on the kid, have not gone over well.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, they made a ruling based on a phone convo with someone that called the "violation" in, when there was no violation.

The Masters have been complete asses this year. This, and picking on the kid, have not gone over well.

It was still a penalty, but really what is the difference, not much.

The DQ shouldn't if even been brought up considering how the committee went about it.

This whole topic is blown out of proportion.