• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thunder Announcer

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to start a argument and I'm not at all offended.

I'm perplexed at the rationale.

I was just reading this story about a 16 year old who got trapped under the seat in the back of a minivan.

He called 911, twice, giving them the location of his vehicle and told them he was almost dead and needed them to come asap.

The 911 operator didn't relay the info and he was found dead by family hours later.

That family is gonna get a multi-million dollar settlement because it's all on tape.

They will be able to travel, buy a nice house, car and afford all the best things in life.

Do you think his Mother will say it was worth it?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to start a argument and I'm not at all offended.

I'm perplexed at the rationale.

I was just reading this story about a 16 year old who got trapped under the seat in the back of a minivan.

He called 911, twice, giving them the location of his vehicle and told them he was almost dead and needed them to come asap.

The 911 operator didn't relay the info and he was found dead by family hours later.

That family is gonna get a multi-million dollar settlement because it's all on tape.

They will be able to travel, buy a nice house, car and afford all the best things in life.

Do you think his Mother will say it was worth it?

Great analogy. Never understood that argument.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, the problem is, there's a big disconnect between different cultures and races in this country. What one race find acceptable, another race might find offensive. Just like a lot of you are shocked saying that you never heard of cotton-picking being negative, I'm also shocked that you guys wouldn't know that.

Picking cotton have always been associated with slaves and blacks have heard about it through jokes or somebody being racist to them. You see, it may be hard for you guys to see certain things as offensive or racist, because you are more than likely not racist yourself so it's hard for you to connect or understand.

It's like when I see a lot of blacks call an Asian girl "Ling Ling". They might not think it's racist, but Asians might feel offended over it.

I don't think anybody believe that OKC's announcer is racist or was trying to offend anybody, but everybody didn't grow up the same and heard the same things, so you have to be careful.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picking cotton have always been associated with slaves and blacks have heard about it through jokes or somebody being racist to them.
Honest question:

Have you ever heard "cotton picking" as a negative or pejorative against black people in your life?

As in:
  • You cotton-pickin' n#g%$r!
Or
  • Go pick some cotton, darky!

I've never heard of anything like that, so I'd be interested to know if it's an actual "thing."

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question:

Have you ever heard "cotton picking" as a negative or pejorative against black people in your life?

As in:
Or

I've never heard of anything like that, so I'd be interested to know if it's an actual "thing."

Yes, my whole life. You will also hear it in jokes.

I'm not sure how other races define slavery, but cotton-picking is the first thing blacks think about when it comes to slavery.

What I did learn about all of this, is that cotton-picking is a normal common phase to many other that is not meant to be racist, and that's why the announcer used it.

Like I said earlier, it's a big disconnect.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question:

As in:
Or

BTW, nobody ever said those things to me.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the guy should've been suspended, but I'm glad it's only for 1 game.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure how other races define slavery, but cotton-picking is the first thing blacks think about when it comes to slavery.

What I did learn about all of this, is that cotton-picking is a normal common phase to many other that is not meant to be racist, and that's why the announcer used it.

Fair enough. I won't argue against your experience.

I love language myself, and I therefore can't fathom why this other, racist connotation to the phrase is missing from universal reference sources like the definition of cottonpickin'.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

See. here's where I start to have issues though.

I'd be willing to bet that the Thunder announcer is like the rest of us on here. Never heard it used in a negative fashion and had no idea that it could be offensive to anyone. To me, that is a "teachable moment" and not something that needs a suspension or any kind of disciplinary action.

A kind of funny story that was a teachable moment for me. In high school I had a black friend. One day I was messing around and came up behind him and gave him a little slap on the back to scare him.

Dude yells out "Ouch, my sunburn." I start busting up laughing thinking he's making a joke. He says "No man, I'm serious." I said "Black people can get sunburned?" He says "Yes, and it can be worse than on white people because it's harder to see."

I still see him from time to time and we still laugh about it.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, the problem is, there's a big disconnect between different cultures and races in this country. What one race find acceptable, another race might find offensive. Just like a lot of you are shocked saying that you never heard of cotton-picking being negative, I'm also shocked that you guys wouldn't know that.

Picking cotton have always been associated with slaves and blacks have heard about it through jokes or somebody being racist to them. You see, it may be hard for you guys to see certain things as offensive or racist, because you are more than likely not racist yourself so it's hard for you to connect or understand.

It's like when I see a lot of blacks call an Asian girl "Ling Ling". They might not think it's racist, but Asians might feel offended over it.

I don't think anybody believe that OKC's announcer is racist or was trying to offend anybody, but everybody didn't grow up the same and heard the same things, so you have to be careful.

I understand what you re saying and agree to an extent.

But, I'm black.

Grew up around nothing but blacks and Hispanics.

I heard and used this statement constantly.

So, who do you think I was talking to and vice versa?

This is like the Kid from Villanova all over again.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand what you re saying and agree to an extent.

But, I'm black.

Grew up around nothing but blacks and Hispanics.

I heard and used this statement constantly.

So, who do you think I was talking to and vice versa?

This is like the Kid from Villanova all over again.
Honestly, it's all subjective IMO. I can certainly understand someone being offended if they were a slave during those times & on the wrong end of that phrase. But fast forward to today & I'm not so sure those of us whom didn't have the experiences ourselves should be so offended.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, the problem is, there's a big disconnect between different cultures and races in this country. What one race find acceptable, another race might find offensive.
Exactly.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand that different folks have opposing views on this issue and what we need is a healthy discussion on this topic without finger pointing or rancor.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honest question:

As in:
Or

No.

But, we don't have a lot of cotton fields in the concrete jungle know as Los Angeles.

Maybe it's different depending on where you live.

Honestly, it's all subjective IMO. I can certainly understand someone being offended if they were a slave during those times & on the wrong end of that phrase. But fast forward to today & I'm not so sure those of us whom didn't have the experiences ourselves should be so offended.

Agree.

I think Geography and personal experience plays a large part in how we view things like this.

I can clearly see how some see this as having racial undertones.

But, my experience with using it, and having it said to me, had nothing to do with race and everything to do with being a idiot.

Perception is reality.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand that different folks have opposing views on this issue and what we need is a healthy discussion on this topic without finger pointing or rancor.
Lots of misunderstandings can be avoided if people took a extra 30 seconds to discuss things without becoming defensive.

But, people are so afraid to labeled that they just let things fester.