• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on 42, and the Dodgers this year

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What a great movie!! I wish I was alive to see Jackie Robinson play in-person. Watching the movie it made me really proud to be a Dodger fan. But it did make me sad to think about Brooklyn losing their team a few short years later. At least "dem bums" gave Brooklyn one championship before leaving.

The Dodgers are a great franchise. The last 25 years have been pretty miserable. Hopefully the new ownership will eventually turn things around, although it's not looking good this year.

The one thing I kept thinking during the movie is how much HEART the Dodgers had back then. They don't play with any passion anymore.

Money isn't everything. But it's important. We got the money again. Which is great!! Now we need team chemistry and better coaching and HEART!!!

It's too soon to panic. But I'm worried about Clayton Kershaw. His fast ball has not looked good the last 3 starts. Matt Kemp may never be the player we hoped he would be so we can't afford to also have Kershaw end up sucking.

Getting swept at home against the Padres, the team that just cost us Greinke, during Jackie Robinson week, is unforgivable. I'm worried this team has zero heart. Again.

It's early. But so far it looks like this is going to be a VERY disappointing season.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoktart...good to see you and your dark cloud of gloom here on SH. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I need to. I became a Brooklyn Dodgers fan during my early childhood and then followed them to LA and became an even more avid fan during the prime Koufax years. You are right about this being a great franchise. There have been some tough years, but hopefully things are back on track to greatness again.

As for this year, it's hard to be optimistic with the start we've had. Don't give up just yet though. Whatever the problem is, I believe the new owners have the money and the will to fix it if it is possible to do so. Baseball, as you know, is a game of averages over the long haul. That means for every bad stretch there's likely to be a good stretch. I think the Dodgers will be okay in the end. Whether that means a Division title or not, I don't know. I do believe they will be a contender though.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see you Shoktart. Glad you liked "42". Haven't seen it yet. Another fun year for the Dodgers, right?

Big trouble brewing in Eugene :omg:.

shoktart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Another fun year for the Dodgers, right?

Every year is fun. Even when we suck. I love to complain, but the truth is I love baseball season. I love listening to the games as I drive. I love checking the box scores every morning. I love looking at the schedule and hoping the best for the Dodgers.

We appear to be in a very competitive division. Despite all the bad things that have happened in April, at least we didn't bury ourselves in too big a hole to dig out from.

It's just ridiculous, sad, depressing and annoying how injury prone our entire team is. Especially the starting pitching. What a joke!! Our owners are going to have to dig very deep in the wallets to save this season. But maybe that's what they will do. I think we need two more starters at the trade deadline. Especially since I fully anticipate Josh Beckett to get injured any day now.

As long as Kershaw stays healthy I won't give up hope. But when you combine all the injuries with yet another year of horrible offense, things look pretty bad.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Shok...I hear where you're coming from, but I must be more of a glass-half-full guy. Given the injuries, I don't think the Dodgers have done all that bad. I had my doubts during the 6 game losing streak, but look at the recent facts. The Dodgers have won 5 of the last 7 and picked up 2 or 3 games in the standings during that stretch. Kershaw, Ryu, Lilly, and some of their young talent have pitched very well. Crawford, Gonzalez and M. Ellis have been hitting very well, and Kemp is hitting in the high 300's, albeit without much power, during the last 7 games. Hanley, Capuano, and hopefully Ellis will be back soon. Greinke will return in a few more weeks. While the Dodgers have been rising, the Giants and Rockies have been falling. The team's future is in their own hands, but if the play like they are capable of, I see no reason why they can't be very competitive for the Division title. Time will tell, but the news is not all bad.

I'm glad you still find baseball fun, and your love of the game is obvious. That's what it's all about.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoktart, glad to see you, your negative still follows but your passion is for sure. It gives me something to throw my positive at. The start hasn't been great for sure but this division is up for grabs. I don't think anyone will run away and hide. Keep the faith or just give me something to respond to because in the end we are all Dodgers fans and family.