• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts after Spring Game?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Malcolm Brown is a beast;
2) Malcolm Brown is a beast.

QB - (B-) Not sure what to say here. Swoopes looked so bad early on, that I found myself wishing we had gilbert grape back at qb. However, he settled down and actually started playing some good football. I was expecting to see more runs outta him, but he used his legs well to move around and out of the pocket. Kid has amazing arm strength and can throw on the run and across his body. Potential.

RB - (A-) Only reason for the minus mark is due to a fumble which I'm not really sure we recovered. Brown ran great. Even Overstreet looked really good. To think that he could be the 4th best Rb on our roster is pretty cool.

WR - (B+) Shipley, Sanders, and Marcus Johnson all had some nice moments. Daje Johnson got a hail mary. The kid that I really am excited about is Meander. I was hoping to see our new TE Whiteley, but never heard his name even though he came in early. Did he even play?

O-Line - (C-) Malcolm found some running lanes at times and had to create them himself at others. However both teams allowed a whole lotta pressure up the middle. A lot of sacks. This unit is likely my number 1 concern for us this year.

D-Line - (A+) Seriously, this unit is sick. Not sure who will be better than us here?

LB - (B+) Saw some good blitzing out of them. Decent tackling. No major issues or mistakes that I saw, other than they did let Brown and Overstreet get past the 2nd level a couple times. Still missing a couple guys though, and I was encouraged.

DB - (B) A very optimistic B though, imo. Didn't see much out of our CB's. However, our main concern this year was supposed to be safety and they looked really good. I have not been a supporter of Mykkele last couple of years. Saw a huge hit from him that I didn't know he had in him, along with an Int returned for a TD. Also, Josh Turner was all over the field. If those guys play like that this year, we will be just fine.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Malcolm Brown is a beast;
2) Malcolm Brown is a beast.

QB - (B-) Not sure what to say here. Swoopes looked so bad early on, that I found myself wishing we had gilbert grape back at qb. However, he settled down and actually started playing some good football. I was expecting to see more runs outta him, but he used his legs well to move around and out of the pocket. Kid has amazing arm strength and can throw on the run and across his body. Potential.

RB - (A-) Only reason for the minus mark is due to a fumble which I'm not really sure we recovered. Brown ran great. Even Overstreet looked really good. To think that he could be the 4th best Rb on our roster is pretty cool.

WR - (B+) Shipley, Sanders, and Marcus Johnson all had some nice moments. Daje Johnson got a hail mary. The kid that I really am excited about is Meander. I was hoping to see our new TE Whiteley, but never heard his name even though he came in early. Did he even play?

O-Line - (C-) Malcolm found some running lanes at times and had to create them himself at others. However both teams allowed a whole lotta pressure up the middle. A lot of sacks. This unit is likely my number 1 concern for us this year.

D-Line - (A+) Seriously, this unit is sick. Not sure who will be better than us here?

LB - (B+) Saw some good blitzing out of them. Decent tackling. No major issues or mistakes that I saw, other than they did let Brown and Overstreet get past the 2nd level a couple times. Still missing a couple guys though, and I was encouraged.

DB - (B) A very optimistic B though, imo. Didn't see much out of our CB's. However, our main concern this year was supposed to be safety and they looked really good. I have not been a supporter of Mykkele last couple of years. Saw a huge hit from him that I didn't know he had in him, along with an Int returned for a TD. Also, Josh Turner was all over the field. If those guys play like that this year, we will be just fine.

I think Mykkele may surprise. He is a world class athlete. His physicality has been well documented, if he becomes a solid tackler his next stop is the NFL. Truly one of the most gifted talents on the team.

I saw several DCobb sightings. Another uber athlete that has been lost for most of his career

Anderson is going to surprise on the OL. Looked very good at times for a kid playing college competition for the first time.

WRs look like a plus unit. Need to just get them the ball consistently.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like everything you guys have been saying about Swoops is probably true. He was probably nervous at first, but it still looks like he won't be a top notch qb. Since Ash was only a little better than McCoy, my gut tells me that we better hope Wittek comes and he turns out to be good. Ash is probably only one head shot away from being done for good.

Any updates on Wittek? What's he waiting for? Seems like he would want to participate in the spring practices and play in a spring game where ever he goes.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wittek has not yet graduated from USC. He was at the scrimmage. Unless something odd happens, expect him to enroll in the summer.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what I did like, watching Coach Strong and his coaches tearing these guys a new one when they messed up. No more clapping and patting on the butt when they screw up on assignments. Finally, accountability is held......

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wittek has not yet graduated from USC. He was at the scrimmage. Unless something odd happens, expect him to enroll in the summer.

Thanks for the update. I thought he had already graduated from USC. I think I have him confused with someone else.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious how many people show up to your spring game? Is it a big event?

This year we had about 10,000 which is one of our largest turnouts.

I keep hearing about Bama and 80,000 and wanted to see where you guys came in on this.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spring game just always feels to me like it is much better watched on tv than in person. You get to hear about the random players who you may/may not know. You get to hear the coaches interviews, etc... Just my thought.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Caleb Bluitt looked really good. Think he will end up being a pass rushing beast.

DCobb did play well. After one good play, he tapped his helmet to say 'need a break'. Strong told him to get the hell back in there. I really like that, because I've gotten tired of our guys wanting a pat on the back for doing their jobs.

Also think Wittek is a done deal, just needs to graduate. At least we will have some depth, hopefully can red shirt Heard.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought Caleb Bluitt looked really good. Think he will end up being a pass rushing beast.

DCobb did play well. After one good play, he tapped his helmet to say 'need a break'. Strong told him to get the hell back in there. I really like that, because I've gotten tired of our guys wanting a pat on the back for doing their jobs.

Also think Wittek is a done deal, just needs to graduate. At least we will have some depth, hopefully can red shirt Heard.

Yeah we need qb depth badly. I thought our O-line looked terrible. Even if Ash were to keep his job, with as much pressure as he may be under its unlikely he will finish the season.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gilbert Grape was drafted by the NFL