• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Off-Season is one of the biggest in memory

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL 2017 Cap Tracker

#8 in cap space, and #3 pick in the draft. This team is at a crossroads right now, and how we play this off-season will likely determine which road we go down. If we're not competitive in 2017 this coaching staff is probably gone, Pace may shift onto the hot seat a bit and we're basically going to reboot this entire rebuild all over again. If we make a couple good moves, I don't think we're as far as many think from contending. We could be that one stud guy from taking a step back to the forefront of the league defensively. That guy could be Jonathan Allen, or another player we grab at #3 overall.

It sounds funny coming off of a 3-13 season, but I actually really like Pace so far and White is really just his lone question mark. Which I honestly can't fault him for. He had no idea that White was going to go through what he has with his injuries. Outside of that, he's had a couple of great drafts and made a some nice signings. I trust the guy, and think he's close to completing a roster that could make us competitive again.

Obviously, as we've touched on, how we handle the QB position is huge and it really can't be f'd up this time around. I hope we don't reach for one of these two QB's, if we do... I'd prefer Trubisky. I am not huge on either, but I think he seems to have the closest thing to physical tools to make it happen at the highest level. Watson turned the ball over far too much, and that will really haunt his career in the NFL. IMO. Either could wind up being solid, but I'm just not sold enough to gamble our future on them.

What I'd like to see us do is grab the best player available at #3, and I really hope Allen is there. If it doesn't look like he's going to be... I may want to see us trade down, to be honest. I also wouldn't mind seeing us bring in a QB in the 2nd or 3rd perhaps. Maybe create a camp competition between him, Hoyer and Barkley? I'm just kind of spit balling here... no clue if I think that's the right move. I think Kizer may be there, who I hated as a first round pick. However, now that he's dropped in the mocks, I kind of like taking a shot at his ceiling. However, I still think someone reaches way too early for him.

Interested to see how we manage free agency, and all of our cap room. That could be a fun week come March. Pace said he plans to spend, but "spend responsibly" as he put it. I'm sure he just wants to assure us that we're not going to have a repeat of the infamous Emery 2014 off-season, where we bought every big name in sight.

Top 100 - 2017 NFL Free Agents List - NFLTradeRumors.co

Who do you see on the list that you want, or that you think we will make a run at? I think it's quite possible we make a run at one of the WR's, after our depth was exposed for being pretty shitty this year. Even if we bring back Jeffery, I'd like to see us take on another solid guy like maybe Pierre Garcon to go along with Meredith as our #2 and #3.

Another interesting position I was thinking about, that I haven't heard brought up is TE. Zach Miller had a solid season when he was out there and is more than serviceable when he's out there. However, he's 31 and coming off of another injury. Is it time to address this yet? That could be a position I see us addressing in the 2nd or 3rd round as well.

Anyway, I was just thinking about the team today bored at work, and was wondering what we all think about plan of attack for this off-season.

:suds:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the TE position, most pundits are calling TE the deepest position in this coming draft, with a couple of studs projected in RD1.

FWIW, I think the position could use an upgrade. I like Miller, but like you said, he ain't getting any younger, and already had a penchant for getting hurt.

Also, FWIW, I still think Kevin White is going to come back and be a good player.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding the TE position, most pundits are calling TE the deepest position in this coming draft, with a couple of studs projected in RD1.

FWIW, I think the position could use an upgrade. I like Miller, but like you said, he ain't getting any younger, and already had a penchant for getting hurt.

Also, FWIW, I still think Kevin White is going to come back and be a good player.

Miller is honestly extremely physically gifted, and if he could stay healthy, in the right offense I think he'd thrive. However, I think he's just not reliable health-wise. (Noon was right, I was wrong on this topic we debated on last off-season). We need a 2nd guy who is capable of making a difference in the passing game. Not Logan Paulsen, who has had a nice career as a blocking TE... but isn't exactly scaring anyone on passing downs. I actually did like the little bit I saw of Daniel Brown, he could be a bit of a sleeper. Big frame, good hands, seems athletic and did a good job in a make-shift offense. Maybe we can see what he develops into in 2017.

As far as White... yeah man. I could see it. It's hard for me to envision him being a stud at this point, but a solid receiver? Definitely. I'm obviously pulling for the kid, and what is promising about him. Is how all of the vets in the locker room keep harping on how good of an attitude he has about it all, and how hard he works in therapy to get back. If he behaved like an ass, I'd say his career is as good as dead. However, he seems to really work hard, and that tends to be rewarded in the long run. In all runs of life.

However, I will say... you just can't count on it happening. You can't bank on it and not address our WR depth. Wilson is a UFA, and he's had impressive moments... but we just can't keep this kid anymore. I feel for him, but it's honestly absurd how much he's hurt. Can't have two guys like him and White on the roster and be relying on them. I think we need to grab a solid vet, and I think Garcon could be had at a decent enough price. I like Meredith, and I would hate the prospect of him being our #1... but that didn't seem to be a fluke. He can play. If he spent a full season as a starter, his numbers were on pace for over 1,000 yards. Plus, he's got the whole "Antwaan Randle El" thing going on, where he can throw the ball in a pinch. lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking the same thing. This off season seems more important then others. Until I see what we do in FA it's hard to think about the draft. FA will tell us what Pace thinks of this QB class. If Pace trades or picks up a FA QB, it kinda tells us no QB at 3. Plus really good CB's and S's are there in FA and you know well get a few. This will be a different team after FA and then well better know what we need in the draft. If this off season is done right, this team could be very good next year. Pace has done a very good job everywhere but were it counts the most. QB. Third draft and first swing??? I hope he gets it right.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KW will never live up to his draft pick position. He could still be a solid WR for the next 8 years. But I don't think star is reachable after his 2 injury's. But what do I know. Also yes we need a TE. A true starting TE. Miller has 2 seasons of games played over the last 10 years.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just thinking the same thing. This off season seems more important then others. Until I see what we do in FA it's hard to think about the draft. FA will tell us what Pace thinks of this QB class. If Pace trades or picks up a FA QB, it kinda tells us no QB at 3. Plus really good CB's and S's are there in FA and you know well get a few. This will be a different team after FA and then well better know what we need in the draft. If this off season is done right, this team could be very good next year. Pace has done a very good job everywhere but were it counts the most. QB. Third draft and first swing??? I hope he gets it right.

In Pace's defense, he was forced into a two-year marriage with Cutler, given the fact that we were paying him 18 mil each season. He didn't really have much of a choice. He also tried to trade up for Mariota in his first draft, but Tennessee wanted him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is really no excuse for not addressing QB in his first 2 years. Even a 2,3,4th rounder training while Cutler was starting. We Bear fans knew 2 years ago Cutler was not the answer and much of the problem. Pace had to know. We did nothing to prepare for now when Cutty can be let go. 2 off seasons and 2 drafts and not one swing at a pitch. Pace has dropped the ball at the QB position. He knows it, If you asked Pace himself, he would look at his shoe's and deny it. lol Hey it's all fixable and the team is getting better each year, talent wise.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is really no excuse for not addressing QB in his first 2 years. Even a 2,3,4th rounder training while Cutler was starting. We Bear fans knew 2 years ago Cutler was not the answer and much of the problem. Pace had to know. We did nothing to prepare for now when Cutty can be let go. 2 off seasons and 2 drafts and not one swing at a pitch. Pace has dropped the ball at the QB position. He knows it, If you asked Pace himself, he would look at his shoe's and deny it. lol Hey it's all fixable and the team is getting better each year, talent wise.

He knew this year was coming, and that Cutler would be the starter until then. It's not as if QB is not at the forefront of every front office's mind. If he didn't take a QB, it was because there wasn't one he liked. Should we have taken Prescott? Probably, lol... but so should have 31 other GM's that missed the ball on that.

You just have some weird thing with Pace, and never gave him a chance. He's done a great job in both draft's and with most of his FA signings.

He also brought in your QB of the future, in Matt Barkley :D

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No I'm giving Pace a fair shot. I said day one QB is where I'll decide on Pace. Overall I like what Pace is doing. But he has to address the QB position before year 3.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to see here. Just another BSGenius copycat post. Moving on.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing to see here. Just another BSGenius copycat post. Moving on.

BS, I honestly missed ya brotha. Speak your peace. lol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I missed you too BS. That is why I'm asking Santa for a new scope next Xmas.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, looks like AJ will not be a Bear next year. So, who is the "new" QB going to toss a ball to? White (maybe if he doesn't break another leg) Meridith, sure he come along last season, Eddie Royal? He needs to be cut, to much money for someone who can't stay on the field. After these 3... Who? F/A market for Wr's is pretty ho hum (Pryor,Britt, and or Stills), which means you probably have to draft one if not two. Any Wr decent enough to start are probably 1st or 2nd rounders, maybe a 3rd rounder if you get lucky. What does that do for picking a QB? FA QB probably in the cards now as a must do.

edit: Bears have the cap space to sign a QB, but it probably puts the idea of using a draft pick to grab one out of the question, which I'm guessing means JG is out.

Last edited:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, looks like AJ will not be a Bear next year. So, who is the "new" QB going to toss a ball to? White (maybe if he doesn't break another leg) Meridith, sure he come along last season, Eddie Royal? He needs to be cut, to much money for someone who can't stay on the field. After these 3... Who? F/A market for Wr's is pretty ho hum (Pryor,Britt, and or Stills), which means you probably have to draft one if not two. Any Wr decent enough to start are probably 1st or 2nd rounders, maybe a 3rd rounder if you get lucky. What does that do for picking a QB? FA QB probably in the cards now as a must do.

edit: Bears have the cap space to sign a QB, but it probably puts the idea of using a draft pick to grab one out of the question, which I'm guessing means JG is out.

Well, I guess we'll see how much AJ really wants to win, vs. wanting to cash-in.

I would've liked to see him stay a Bear, but I'd also like to see him stay healthy and not use PEDs as well.

Nice kid, but dumber than a bag of hammers.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Deshawn Jackson, Victor Cruz, Vincent Jackson are veterans that would be nice to have around to support a young quarterback. Toughest guy the past decade that the Lions had was Boldin, he will be 37. I think Ginn wants to be top guy somewhere. Michael Floyd, look down the list and you see alot of guys that were Jeffrey when Marshall was here. Still looking at New England, some tough little quick white guys would be nice to have.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshawn Jackson, Victor Cruz, Vincent Jackson are veterans that would be nice to have around to support a young quarterback. Toughest guy the past decade that the Lions had was Boldin, he will be 37. I think Ginn wants to be top guy somewhere. Michael Floyd, look down the list and you see alot of guys that were Jeffrey when Marshall was here. Still looking at New England, some tough little quick white guys would be nice to have.

Garcon is the vet we should go after, IMO. Will come cheap-ish, is a seasoned/reliable vet and is still quite effective. He's not our number one, but if White can stay healthy. Along with Meredith taking another step forward. It's certainly not a great WR corp, but it's quite serviceable. With a ceiling of being quite good, if White does finally turn into the threat we all thought he may be when we drafted him.

I also do not think the door is completely closed on Jeffery. If we do make a deal for McCarron or Jimmy G prior to Free Agency. I think he could be brought back.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garcon is the vet we should go after, IMO. Will come cheap-ish, is a seasoned/reliable vet and is still quite effective. He's not our number one, but if White can stay healthy. Along with Meredith taking another step forward. It's certainly not a great WR corp, but it's quite serviceable. With a ceiling of being quite good, if White does finally turn into the threat we all thought he may be when we drafted him.

I also do not think the door is completely closed on Jeffery. If we do make a deal for McCarron or Jimmy G prior to Free Agency. I think he could be brought back.
I think he is gone. Why would he come back? No qb worth a damn, he will comand a bunch of money because he is the only legit #1 free agent WR out there. My guess, he will have a pick of teams, some with legit qb's. Heck the Pats have more cap room than the Bears.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is gone. Why would he come back? No qb worth a damn, he will comand a bunch of money because he is the only legit #1 free agent WR out there. My guess, he will have a pick of teams, some with legit qb's. Heck the Pats have more cap room than the Bears.

Well, that was my point about Jimmy G or McCarron. If we trade for one of them (or even grab Romo), it could intrigue both sides to come to a deal for him to return.

I agree about the price aspect, he'll likely be overpriced if he hits the open market.

For a lot of guys, however, they really don't want to make the move. I don't know what kind of a guy Jeffery is, as far as that goes.

Whatever... I'm fine either way. I think he's a great talent, but he cannot stay on the field and I'm sick of it. He's spent every day of the last two or three seasons on the injury report. It's absurd. He also disappears in a lot of games. He's a back-end #1, and a great #2. When he's healthy, that is. Not worth the big time #1 WR money he'll get, most likely.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to get receivers that can get just plain get open and the quarterback throwing the ball before said receiver gets there. Its great to see Marshall or Jeffrey making circus superman catches and getting hammered, They both claim thats how they want the ball. But yeah, that most likely keeps them on the injury list all year long. Barkley showed some nice leading last year, so its not impossible to find in a new quarterback that is not trusting his cannon to get thru defenders all the time.