• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is going to certainly help the academic requirements

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new scale isn’t that bad but this was my grading scale when I was in high school in PA over 35 years ago. I told this story in another thread, but when my son came out of his math placement test during his Freshman orientation, I was talking to a parent from Clarksburg when his son came out. He told his father that he would have to take 3 semesters of math to JUST get caught up and a total of 6 math classes to get into his major. I was shocked.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new scale isn’t that bad but this was my grading scale when I was in high school in PA over 35 years ago. I told this story in another thread, but when my son came out of his math placement test during his Freshman orientation, I was talking to a parent from Clarksburg when his son came out. He told his father that he would have to take 3 semesters of math to JUST get caught up and a total of 6 math classes to get into his major. I was shocked.

It's just not good. If you take a look at the requirements in bordering states its not even close. This is all about checking boxes to meet some ridiculous compliance guideline like no child left behind...The pressure is so great that in a couple of HS here they are under investigation for forging grades..that is not good either...

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just not good. If you take a look at the requirements in bordering states its not even close. This is all about checking boxes to meet some ridiculous compliance guideline like no child left behind...The pressure is so great that in a couple of HS here they are under investigation for forging grades..that is not good either...
In the case you cite, you are correct. Sounds similar to that case in the Atlanta area a few years ago. Each State has to place a value on education and parents need to speak up and address short comings. I know my School Tax is rather high, especially now that I have no kids in the High School system, but they faired fairly well in the education front. The District has taken a hit with a chance in Superintendent and a few bad decisions, but parents need to make their voices heard at these school board meetings. I’ve been to plenty during my kids attending. The next thing I need to start attending are these Municipal Board Meetings.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the case you cite, you are correct. Sounds similar to that case in the Atlanta area a few years ago. Each State has to place a value on education and parents need to speak up and address short comings. I know my School Tax is rather high, especially now that I have no kids in the High School system, but they faired fairly well in the education front. The District has taken a hit with a chance in Superintendent and a few bad decisions, but parents need to make their voices heard at these school board meetings. I’ve been to plenty during my kids attending. The next thing I need to start attending are these Municipal Board Meetings.

Its kind of all over the board where I live its about the haves and have nots...kids that just get a "Regular" Education( ie C Students) .kids in the IB Program..Science and Math Magnet...all under the heading of "Division of Accelerated and Enriched Instruction"...pressure is off the charts...teen suicide in my neck of the woods at an all time high...so you have that side of it to...

Not sure where middle ground is..

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think there will ever be middle ground. Areas that have the money or tax base will have the best. When I lived in Tennessee, the schools were not supported by a State Tax. At the beginning of the school year, teachers would ask for school supplies, hand sanitizer, tissues, and other items throughout the year. You look at that and then see the mess at the inner city schools in Baltimore. Total BS that kids are forced into a situation like that. When
I came back to PA, my wife didn’t want the youngest going back to our local HS so he was enrolled in a Catholic school to finish his last 2 years.

Kids today have issues with their emotions. I felt that bullying back in the day was harsher but I today there are more platforms that are further reaching. Social media has some much potential for good, but evil has taken over. A kid in the area high school next to us had a kid sentenced to a 23.5 - 60 year sentence for stabbing 23 or 24 people. He said that he was constantly called rat face and rat boy. Then you have the shooting in Kentucky. Not sure what can be done with the system especially with DeVoss heading the Department of Education. I still feel that parents need to lead the charge, but for depressed areas, not sure what can be done. I know of some districts that messed up and the State came in and made it worse.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think there will ever be middle ground. Areas that have the money or tax base will have the best. When I lived in Tennessee, the schools were not supported by a State Tax. At the beginning of the school year, teachers would ask for school supplies, hand sanitizer, tissues, and other items throughout the year. You look at that and then see the mess at the inner city schools in Baltimore. Total BS that kids are forced into a situation like that. When
I came back to PA, my wife didn’t want the youngest going back to our local HS so he was enrolled in a Catholic school to finish his last 2 years.

Kids today have issues with their emotions. I felt that bullying back in the day was harsher but I today there are more platforms that are further reaching. Social media has some much potential for good, but evil has taken over. A kid in the area high school next to us had a kid sentenced to a 23.5 - 60 year sentence for stabbing 23 or 24 people. He said that he was constantly called rat face and rat boy. Then you have the shooting in Kentucky. Not sure what can be done with the system especially with DeVoss heading the Department of Education. I still feel that parents need to lead the charge, but for depressed areas, not sure what can be done. I know of some districts that messed up and the State came in and made it worse.

Social Media is the worst thing that has eve been invented for so many reasons...ironic you mentioned Baltimore..due to the level of student the majority of State Tax monies go to the county I live in Montgomery or Howard County due to the average differential in GPA of the student and the economic base..and its a huge gap....

The kids in Baltimore County that are the better student are all in private institutions.

mad2mc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Social Media is the worst thing that has eve been invented for so many reasons...ironic you mentioned Baltimore..due to the level of student the majority of State Tax monies go to the county I live in Montgomery or Howard County due to the average differential in GPA of the student and the economic base..and its a huge gap....

The kids in Baltimore County that are the better student are all in private institutions.
So much for no child left behind.