• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is crap...Go Texas Go Big 12

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why Get Rid of the Bowl System Now? Bill Hancock on the College Football Playoff - MensJournal.com

In an interview w/ Men's Journal and Bill Hancock…

Why Get Rid of the Bowl System Now?

The BCS (Bowl Championship Series) agreements were for four years – so every four years, the group of commissioners and university presidents got together, studied the matter, and made a decision about the future format. When the fourth BCS contract was about to expire – the one that will end after this season – the group got together and said, 'How can we make this better? What's in the best interests of the athletes and the game?' And look, many of these fans would like us to try a playoff. Can we do it and still adhere to the three principles? And it was a matter of hundreds of hours of discussions and evaluations and modeling that resulted in the decision on June 26, 2012, in the meeting of the presidents in Washington, D.C. And, oh man, it was a momentous day for college football.

Read more: Why Get Rid of the Bowl System Now? Bill Hancock on the College Football Playoff - MensJournal.com
Follow us: @mensjournal on Twitter | MensJournal on Facebook

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where you go 4down?

WVU posters are looking to you for some more education?

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too funny

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As always!

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you claiming college football fans hear and see Oregon as much as we see Bama?

How many national championships does Oregon have in recent years? How many big time games does Oregon play a year? Yeah, I think that may have something to do with it. Yet, we do in fact still hear quite a bit about Oregon. MORE IMPORTANTLY - they are always portrayed in a good light etc.

Yeah… you got me…

BTW…. keep arguing that my about the rating of the LSU vs. Bama BCS NCG… and not the actual proposition I made. Too funny…

What is that an example of? Man… I'm sitting here LOL at you…

You brought it up in your first post as I have quoted like 5 times now. I'd do it again, but obviously you will just ignore it.

Nope… the bogus BCS NCG had nothing to do with the ratings for the Orange Bowl. I totally agree with you. Not sure why you made such an inference…

And you brought up the Orange Bowl for what reason? It was pretty obvious to me that you originally thought the BCNCG was 3rd lowest among ALL BCS games, not just NCG and now you are just plain stuck and can't find a way out of it.

While I never made such a claim… I sort of wish I had… then I could have used this article to support myself..

College Football Final Exam Shootaround: Grantland Bids Adieu to the BCS «

Oh yeah… I guess it does support my stance that the bogus rematch was the catalyst for change… so, I got that going for me…

Nobody argued it wasn't a catalyst for change. I think the game was a catalyst for change. What I don't buy is that it was because of fan pressure as you claim. It was a catalyst for chance because the other conferences were tired to being left out of the equation which only makes them weaker over the long run due to things like recruiting and such.

The SEC has been dragging college football forward by the hair for over 20 years now.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article is another classic regarding SEC bias, and how ESPN connects the dots…

Why SEC Isn't As Great In Football As You Think | ThePostGame

Good stuff…

Oh yeah, an article that claims college football is biased because bowl games are down south.

Bowl games are done south because it's warmer and more fan friendly. The tickets are given to teams evenly, and if there is somekind of advantage for the south it's because the fans of the other teams suck.

Ohio St completely took over an away game at Cal last year I think it was. Thousands of miles away and the stadium was almost ALL Ohio St.

And as far as SEC matchups - the SEC on average brings lower teams vs higher teams into their bowl games and still wins more.

Then of course follows up claiming media bias with ESPN, neglecting to realize that ESPN owns the rights to ALL conference networks, not just the SEC. And owns the rights to all the BOWL games.

Yet, ESPN doesn't even have 1st tier rights on SEC games, CBS does.

That whole topic has been debunked, but won't stop you from posting it. I'm going to be disappointed if you just linked a bunch of articles saying the same kind of bullshit.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another great article for you to peruse… 4down…

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/chuck-the-bcs-175022477.html

Yeah.. the BCS did some PR… but, it didn't go as you told us it went. Fans grew to hate the BCS…

Who said this…

I'm glad I have some free time to enjoy this…

Thanks for proving what I said all along - fans disliked and wanted a playoff long before the Alabama/LSU game. There was no sudden increase in people on the topic as a result of the game. The change of that game came within the conference leadership themselves.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for proving what I said all along - fans disliked and wanted a playoff long before the Alabama/LSU game.

Your welcome.

Did anyone ever disagree with this obvious point?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BCS commissioners reach consensus on four-team college football playoff - The Washington Post

More PR? This is fun…

What did I say in my original response to you…

Oh yeah… that's what I said…:lol:

Obviously it's PR since the Big10 commish is trying to pretend like the playoffs didn't have enough public support before then. Or are you now trying to go against your previous posts that outlined the hatred was there long before that game?

That right there should be all the proof you need that the fan excuse was total BS.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Television ratings not kind to BCS title game - CBSSports.com

Weird… I find all of these articles…

Lookie what I found…

What was it I first posted in response to you…

Oh yeah… that was it…

Again, overnight ratings were wrong, and the previous year featured a much larger drop in ratings. The drop that year was actually pretty mild in comparison, and the drop was much less than what was seen in other bowl games for the year.

Keep trying.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 BCS Wrap: In Final Year, BCS Averages Highest Rating Since 2011 ? Sports Media Watch

Viewership=ratings=college football fans.

But, you gonna say fans had nothing to do with change? OK…

Again, there was no change in fans over that game, and what your post highlights is that who matches up in a game matters the most in regards to ratings.

Alabama and Oklahoma Sugar bowl drawing in record viewership is not surprising. Neither is Clemson and WVU bringing in the lowest.

The actual reason the LSU-Alabama rematch was a drop in ratings - as was the previous year, was because Alabama vs Texas in 2009-2010 was a huge increase in ratings. If you compare the LSU-Alabama game to the 2008 game, there is only a .2 drop in ratings.

Yes, it's wildly known that who you get in the bowl games has big time ratings. Thus why teams like Oklahoma, Texas, Alabama, Ohio St and USC always get preferred spots when available.

And yet, you claimed previously that these things didn't matter, and that the LSU-Alabama game being regional couldn't have possibly had an effect on ratings. You just proved yourself wrong AGAIN.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This article actually proves what I've been saying:

As I said, the change was not in fan opinion, it was in the conferences.

The article even answers it's own question as "We probably not".

Thanks for providing even more evidence against yourself. :lol:

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many national championships does Oregon have in recent years? How many big time games does Oregon play a year? Yeah, I think that may have something to do with it. Yet, we do in fact still hear quite a bit about Oregon. MORE IMPORTANTLY - they are always portrayed in a good light etc.

Sure… the fact that the Pac 12 has its own network with no connection to ESPN… that the Pac 12 Championship game is televised by FOX… has nothing to do with it… right?

And you brought up the Orange Bowl for what reason? It was pretty obvious to me that you originally thought the BCNCG was 3rd lowest among ALL BCS games, not just NCG and now you are just plain stuck and can't find a way out of it.

4down… you can beat this horse some more… but, it don't make much sense to me. Why would I highlight a quote from the article stating the 2012 BCS NCG was the 3rd lowest on record… a quote that included the Orange Bowl as the lowest rated BCS game in history… if I wasn't making a definite point?

Again… go through the entire thread… find one post where I refer to the LSU vs Bama game as BCS. Make me eat crow. At least I will admit my mistake… as I did with the whole Plus 1.

Nobody argued it wasn't a catalyst for change. I think the game was a catalyst for change. What I don't buy is that it was because of fan pressure as you claim. It was a catalyst for chance because the other conferences were tired to being left out of the equation which only makes them weaker over the long run due to things like recruiting and such.

Other conferences were tired of being left out of the equation? This is now your argument? How many years were conferences left out of the equation?

What kind of expert are you? I'm not getting any good education from you…

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another good one for you 4down… enjoy…

Did LSU-Alabama in 2011 cause the College Football Playoff?

What was that last line? Probably pushed us over the edge to the playoffs?

Who said that?

Oh… yeah… I did…

Did this game… one of great controversy lead to the changes bbwvfan suggested?

You claim it was the fans. I said it was the conferences who got tired of being left out. You keep claiming these things somehow prove you right, but yet your articles contain clear indications that go against what you said.

Nothing in what you posted said anything about it being fan pushed.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, overnight ratings were wrong, and the previous year featured a much larger drop in ratings. The drop that year was actually pretty mild in comparison, and the drop was much less than what was seen in other bowl games for the year.

Keep trying.

Why are you so stuck on previous years? Why don't you stick to the 2012 year?

You try to make a point that goes away from the real argument for some reason. You make comments about regional appeal to a NC game. That is pretty funny stuff. You mention the NC game received a higher rating than the regular season game as if it makes some kind of valid point.

Pretty pathetic stuff… if I say so myself.

As I already pointed out… to which you never responded… the AU vs FSU game drew a higher rating than the bogus Bamer rematch.

How could that happen? Southern football at such…

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What… can you believe there is even more 4down?

Enjoy…

With one season left, how will BCS be remembered?

The conferences huddled with purpose it said.

Tell me, how did the other conferences lose money because of the Alabama/LSU game in terms of ratings. They didn't.

What the conferences were losing however was far more. By not having a spot in the national championship they were losing the ability to recruit and compete with the SEC. Interest was dropping in their conferences because they weren't able to field winners. Look at how Michigan has been struggling to sell tickets this year. Why? Because they aren't winning.

By allowing just 1 team from a conference into things, it provides hope for that conference. They can tell recruits - you can play for the championship etc.

You do understand that BCS ratings didn't affect the conferences themselves right? Being left out however had big consequences for the conferences.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claim it was the fans. I said it was the conferences who got tired of being left out. You keep claiming these things somehow prove you right, but yet your articles contain clear indications that go against what you said.

Nothing in what you posted said anything about it being fan pushed.

I can't help it if you can't put things together. It isn't up to me to help you figure things out.

You telling me to keep trying tells me all I need to know…

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The people who cry about the SEC the most on the college forums are typically the biggest conference homers.

Not so sure about that...