• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This is comical....yeah no SEC bias

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18. LSU (24). And just like that, the Tigers are the highest-ranked two-loss team in the poll. With both of those losses to top-5 teams and now a win over another top-5 team also on the resume, the argument is easy to make -- especially with Les Miles' and John Chavis' defense beginning to look like its usual self.

Ummm does this sound like another team that you just jumped with this team? LMAO :gaah::pound:

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus they fail to mention in one of their L's to a top 5 team they were blown out 41-7.....their other loss looked respectable, but only because of a 4th qt....most of that game Miss ST had a 14 pt lead and at one time a 21 pt lead.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its by design IMHO, the more controversy the better until..... The playoff is expanded to 8 teams (or more). For the record, I bet it happens WAY before the end of the contracted time for 4 teams. 4 spots for 5 power conferences? Yea, that won't cause any hard feelings.

Mo money mo money mo money

Last edited by a moderator:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its by design IMHO, the more controversy the better until..... The playoff is expanded to 8 teams (or more). For the record, I bet it happens WAY before the end of the contracted time for 4 teams. 4 spots for 5 power conferences? Yea, that won't cause any hard feelings.

Mo money mo money mo money

Then we can have 5 SEC teams in the playoff.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this year is going to be 2 SEC teams, FSU and ND....

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well this year is going to be 2 SEC teams, FSU and ND....

A lot of football to be played and nobody knows how the committee is going to vote. I think (hope) we will see a different line of thinking than we have gotten used to with the old BCS system, we'll see.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Computers have LSU in the top10(#9 average).

College Football Ranking Composite

So, when every single source from humans, to data driven computers are suggesting something, at what point does it become a matter of - well maybe it's not bias and maybe they are just right? Is there really even a single legitimate source out there that shows anything else?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of football to be played and nobody knows how the committee is going to vote. I think (hope) we will see a different line of thinking than we have gotten used to with the old BCS system, we'll see.

Don't count on it.

The committee was not formed to prevent Alabama from being in the picture in 2011. It was formed in order to include Oklahoma St while keeping easy schedule types like Boise St out.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about computers is that they say whatever the human programming it wants it to. My computer tells me dragons are real and I can kill another person by yelling at them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about computers is that they say whatever the human programming it wants it to. My computer tells me dragons are real and I can kill another person by yelling at them.

These same computer formulas have been used for years and never looked like they do this year. In fact, the computers have often been used in the past by the other conferences to say the SEC isn't all that.

Now that these same formulas have the SEC up way high - they are invalid?

And as someone who use to run a computer program for rankings - it did not at all reflect what I want them to say. The results were based on the philosophy and logic I thought was valid in deeming the teams ranking at best.

Mac_Bridger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always felt the computers were invalid for the very reason I stated. There is one guy, typing into a computer to make it say what he wants. It's still human opinion, albeit based on numbers. But isn't that what the polls do, just with a larger sample size?

What DC was getting at is that WVU has lost twice, to a pair of top 5 teams. Then defeated a top 5 team. This was the criteria used to validate moving LSU OVER a WVU team that has the same credentials.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always felt the computers were invalid for the very reason I stated. There is one guy, typing into a computer to make it say what he wants. It's still human opinion, albeit based on numbers. But isn't that what the polls do, just with a larger sample size?

It's all math and it's all applied to teams evenly and without bias. These formulas aren't new and they never ranked the SEC as a whole like this. They aren't perfect, but they aren't biased. The link I gave is also based on the average of many different formulas, not just one. Not sure how many it has yet so far this week, but by the end of the week it'll be around 120. My rankings were among them previously, but I no longer do them.

What DC was getting at is that WVU has lost twice, to a pair of top 5 teams. Then defeated a top 5 team. This was the criteria used to validate moving LSU OVER a WVU team that has the same credentials.

I put LSU above you as well. I've thought all year long that LSU would improve greatly as the year went on, and they have. They have a ton of talent, but they have been gutted by the NFL recently. As they get experience, they are going to improve well above most teams.

That said - don't even worry about it. Take care of TCU this week and you'll be fine. Voters are not 100% convinced WVU is for real yet, while LSU with it's history gets some benefit of the doubt. That's not conference bias, that's recent history bias.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand the LSU love either… but, it truly doesn't matter. Rankings don't matter anymore.

But, I cannot be impressed with a team that had to come from behind to beat Wisky, barely beat a terrible UF… and was completely dominated at home by Miss St as well as in their loss to AU.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand the LSU love either… but, it truly doesn't matter. Rankings don't matter anymore.

But, I cannot be impressed with a team that had to come from behind to beat Wisky, barely beat a terrible UF… and was completely dominated at home by Miss St as well as in their loss to AU.

I agree with parts of both arguments and believe the committee will be having similar conversations tomorrow. If one of these networks want ratings they should put a camera and mic in the room with this committee when they meet. Talk about must see reality TV...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voters are not 100% convinced WVU is for real yet, while LSU with it's history gets some benefit of the doubt. That's not conference bias, that's recent history bias.

4down20, to me that is a big part of the problem until a TRUE playoff including every conference champ is implemented, that your name and history counts for more than the play on the field THIS YEAR does. I can understand using the previous year as a gauge for a kids level of play, for a teams stamina if a lot of kids return, but saying Ohio State is great because Woody once coached there, or saying Vandy would win any other league because they play is the SEC is pure crap.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my point was your describing one team that has done the exact sane thing as another and saying one is clearly better....we didn't get pounded in our two L's they did...obviously if you have a good offense you can beat these guys.....plus that 10-7 win Saturday night was a comedy of errors on both teams, that was not great football.

In the end none of this matters, just thought the write up was funny.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Voters are not 100% convinced WVU is for real yet, while LSU with it's history gets some benefit of the doubt. That's not conference bias, that's recent history bias.

4down20, to me that is a big part of the problem until a TRUE playoff including every conference champ is implemented, that your name and history counts for more than the play on the field THIS YEAR does. I can understand using the previous year as a gauge for a kids level of play, for a teams stamina if a lot of kids return, but saying Ohio State is great because Woody once coached there, or saying Vandy would win any other league because they play is the SEC is pure crap.

Sorry, I kind of zone out when people talk about conference champions only. If your conference champion isn't in the top4, then there is a reason for it, and it's not bias.

Nobody is picking Ohio St because of Woody, it's recent history as in previous year and general program strength.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I kind of zone out when people talk about conference champions only. If your conference champion isn't in the top4, then there is a reason for it, and it's not bias.

Nobody is picking Ohio St because of Woody, it's recent history as in previous year and general program strength.

My beef is there is no REAL way to say that one league is better than any other, IF you are not the best team in your own league, how can you be the best in the nation? People say they are against a true playoff because it cheapens the season, it seems to me that to include two or three teams from one league who have already played each other over another conferences champion is what would cheapen the season. Hell, right now, who is to say that Marshall isn't the best team, yeah they have not played nearly as tough a schedule as some others, but they have been beating everyone they play soundly. I say the only reason that the big five leagues, and especially the SEC, are against a REAL playoff is that they are scared to death that a Marshall just MAY beat one of those great SEC or B11 teams.............

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My beef is there is no REAL way to say that one league is better than any other, IF you are not the best team in your own league, how can you be the best in the nation? People say they are against a true playoff because it cheapens the season, it seems to me that to include two or three teams from one league who have already played each other over another conferences champion is what would cheapen the season. Hell, right now, who is to say that Marshall isn't the best team, yeah they have not played nearly as tough a schedule as some others, but they have been beating everyone they play soundly. I say the only reason that the big five leagues, and especially the SEC, are against a REAL playoff is that they are scared to death that a Marshall just MAY beat one of those great SEC or B11 teams.............

Yes there is a way. Alabama beat WVU, and Auburn beat K-State and these are 2 of the top teams from the Big12.

Played on the field and all that jazz.

Basically, what you are wanting to do is punish teams for being in tough conferences and reward teams for being in easy conferences with easy play off births. The majority of time it will be conference champions by default, but if it isn't - there is a reason for it.

Marshall has not been beating people soundly, they were losing against FAU this past week until 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and didn't put them away until middle of the 4th quarter. Meanwhile, Alabama played FAU and won 41-0 and had backups in during the same time that FAU was winning against Marshall.