• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This has been unreal season for the Irish

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, we'll always have the Michigan game.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares at this point the bowl game is prep for next season which is why Zaire should start.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who cares at this point the bowl game is prep for next season which is why Zaire should start.

Under no terms should Golson even play unless Zaire were to get injured. Golson had numerous chances and mishandled them all. Pun intended.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golson had 14 interceptions this year, how many fumbles lost did he have? I couldn't find that stat.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SI.com has him for 12 fumbles, 8 lost.

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
22 turnovers in 12 games, he lost all his Notre Dame qb privileges. To put it in simple terms he's giving the ball away once every half.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Turnover did a better job than Golson.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tommy Turnover did a better job than Golson.

Whats interesting is Golson was supposed to be the guy who could run BKs offense( heard that for years now) yet he really didnt run at all except around the pocket or just trying to get away from the rush. So teams just went after him once they didnt fear him taking off. I still think his QB coach guru guy was working with him to stay in the pocket and show he can pass without running ( showcase for the NFL to show he's like a R. Wilson in Seattle) and the thing is he can't be that guy. He's not 6'4 and can't stay in the pocket and be effective and he can't move around the pocket and make things happen like Wilson he just doesnt have that vision right now. He had to make teams fear he can take off at any moment so they wouldnt rush him the same they would a pocket passer and he might have been more effective. Maybe those fumbles made him not want to run.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats interesting is Golson was supposed to be the guy who could run BKs offense( heard that for years now) yet he really didnt run at all except around the pocket or just trying to get away from the rush. So teams just went after him once they didnt fear him taking off. I still think his QB coach guru guy was working with him to stay in the pocket and show he can pass without running ( showcase for the NFL to show he's like a R. Wilson in Seattle) and the thing is he can't be that guy. He's not 6'4 and can't stay in the pocket and be effective and he can't move around the pocket and make things happen like Wilson he just doesnt have that vision right now. He had to make teams fear he can take off at any moment so they wouldnt rush him the same they would a pocket passer and he might have been more effective. Maybe those fumbles made him not want to run.

Maybe the fumbles did make him not want to run but if he's playing scared then he shouldn't be the QB. My biggest issue has been Golson was clearly done after the ASU game and they kept sending him out. He was defeated anyone could see it in his body language and that falls on the coaches for not pulling the plug sooner.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the fumbles did make him not want to run but if he's playing scared then he shouldn't be the QB. My biggest issue has been Golson was clearly done after the ASU game and they kept sending him out. He was defeated anyone could see it in his body language and that falls on the coaches for not pulling the plug sooner.

The thing is you guys were still looking at a big boy bowl and were ranked pretty high still and maybe BK still thought he could fix it. Going with a new QB is a big deal it means you're starting over. maybe BK should have benched Golson for a series or two when he started the fumbleitis and gotten Zaire some playing time and maybe woken up Golson. Personally I think your players are questioning your coach . He's got some work to do before the start of next season.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is you guys were still looking at a big boy bowl and were ranked pretty high still and maybe BK still thought he could fix it. Going with a new QB is a big deal it means you're starting over. maybe BK should have benched Golson for a series or two when he started the fumbleitis and gotten Zaire some playing time and maybe woken up Golson. Personally I think your players are questioning your coach . He's got some work to do before the start of next season.

Problem is, once that happens, goodnight Gracie. Its not like you can replace the players that aren't buying in, especially since so much of this team is underclassmen. So the FR, SO players who are effectively your starters are disengaged from the coach, that won't change the rest of the time they are here. And that will send a signal to potential recruits, so who replaces them. Its an old cliche, but most programs will tolerate losing, so long as the coach has the lockeroom, because it lends itself to reasons outside of the players' control, and signals that a turnaround is possible. That's why a lot of us fans would have given Kelly a pass given the suspensions and injuries, but there's something institutional going on, in that his stubborn tendencies have turned off a lot of the players, our wasted talent at RB, and a QB that seemingly had limitless opportunities to F up, while our 4-5* safeties get benched in favor of players who may know where to stand, but are too slow to get there and too banged upo to do anything once they do. I don't think Kelly's done a lot to build trust in his guys once the adversity hit.

This is not unlike Kiffin's last days at USC. Everyone's seen the picture of Barkley holding his fingers toward the sign that said "Fire Lane." Yeah, it may have been a joke, or even a doctored photo, but the message was, the players didn't like him. He didn't last long after that, and he at least had the built-in excuse of the scholarship limitations. (I always thought that he was brought in to be a placeholder to get them through that period, and they were looking to better deal him once they emerged on the other end, but that's just a pet theory of mine).

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked how bad the Oline was this year. In the last 2-3 years we landed a lot of big time recruits on the oline. Lets hope they have a better year next year.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was shocked how bad the Oline was this year. In the last 2-3 years we landed a lot of big time recruits on the oline. Lets hope they have a better year next year.

I keep hearing guys like Nelson, McGlinchey and Mustipher are the real deal. The line from some of the commentators is that Nelson and/or McGlinchey could start now, although they'd like to bulk up McGlinchey a bit more. What they meant to say is, these three in particular, bring the nasty, and that's something lacking from the line this year.

Hegarty gets a lot of abuse for his play, much if it is deserved, but people seem to be forgetting, this is a guy who is lucky to be alive, let alone starting center at ND. And he's not a nasty, tough player, but that wasn't his DNA coming out of HS. He was built as more of a finesse, zone guy and had the physical traits for that. He was very highly rated because of it. He's out of place playing inside. Coupled with the fact that recovering from the stroke effectively kept him from adding good weight and being stronger, hasn't helped. Nick Martin should have been taking snaps, but he injured his hand. Elmer had a lost season because they tried to make him a tackle and he's a guard. He struggled outside, but was very solid for a true freshman last year at the guard position.

My hope is, these young guys come on and can make waves next year, otherwise we're in for a tough go. It always starts up front, and our OL has been a plus the past couple of years until this year.

I'd personally like to see Stanley at LT (or do we move him to RT because Malik is a lefty :noidea:), Mustipher LG, Martin C, Elmer RG and McGlinchey RT (or flip with Stanley), with Q. Nelson being the first reserve, or flip out McGlinchey for Nelson.

Yes, that means benching some seniors, as Hanratty and Hegarty both have eligibility remaining. But if these guys are nasty and can be road graders, that's just what the offense needs if the QB starts to struggle.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing guys like Nelson, McGlinchey and Mustipher are the real deal. The line from some of the commentators is that Nelson and/or McGlinchey could start now, although they'd like to bulk up McGlinchey a bit more. What they meant to say is, these three in particular, bring the nasty, and that's something lacking from the line this year.

Hegarty gets a lot of abuse for his play, much if it is deserved, but people seem to be forgetting, this is a guy who is lucky to be alive, let alone starting center at ND. And he's not a nasty, tough player, but that wasn't his DNA coming out of HS. He was built as more of a finesse, zone guy and had the physical traits for that. He was very highly rated because of it. He's out of place playing inside. Coupled with the fact that recovering from the stroke effectively kept him from adding good weight and being stronger, hasn't helped. Nick Martin should have been taking snaps, but he injured his hand. Elmer had a lost season because they tried to make him a tackle and he's a guard. He struggled outside, but was very solid for a true freshman last year at the guard position.

My hope is, these young guys come on and can make waves next year, otherwise we're in for a tough go. It always starts up front, and our OL has been a plus the past couple of years until this year.

I'd personally like to see Stanley at LT (or do we move him to RT because Malik is a lefty :noidea:), Mustipher LG, Martin C, Elmer RG and McGlinchey RT (or flip with Stanley), with Q. Nelson being the first reserve, or flip out McGlinchey for Nelson.

Yes, that means benching some seniors, as Hanratty and Hegarty both have eligibility remaining. But if these guys are nasty and can be road graders, that's just what the offense needs if the QB starts to struggle.

I agree I think we will see a better Line next year. We are still missing that (B. Cave) Center. Im shocked he didn't turn out to be a solid player in the NFL.

I just want to see Malik win the starting job unless Golson is lights out in camp. Also a very short leash for Golson if he wins the spot.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we got our new Center. I forgot we have the #1 center who just signed and will be an EE. Tristen Hoge

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we got our new Center. I forgot we have the #1 center who just signed and will be an EE. Tristen Hoge

Going straight from high school to center is a big jump. I think they would have someone who played this year take that that spot for at least a year.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going straight from high school to center is a big jump. I think they would have someone who played this year take that that spot for at least a year.

Yes I agree im talking about future Center. I think he will play his Soph year. Kid is Top Center he should be able to start by year 2. I year in the strength program will help