• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This has been unreal season for the Irish

KnuteRoc

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh no doubt Lilly, I know that feeling too well. After Lou was forced out, it's just been a long, long line of mediocrity. Of course we've had great players come through during that time but as a team, us fans have certainly seen some lean years.

And you're quite right, I tend to think the same way, reserved, a bit pessimistic, because like you eluded to, we've seen good seasons get blown up. My biggest gripe over the last 20 odd years has been that we've rarely put the two together in any one season (offense and defense). It's like one or the other, but not both.

I can't say yet that Kelly is the messiah for ND football. I like what he does in a lot of areas, but some just irk the shit out of me and I think many of you as well, but the things he does do well are moving the program forward while perhaps at the same time increasing his stock value as a coach, which I don't mind as long as you're giving something in return to the program, which I feel Kelly is doing but I didn't feel Weis did at all during his tenure here.

I think the youth of the D is what is probably being used in the eye-test against us, although it might be argued that SOS is being used against us more, which I find absurd in some respects. But, with our ability to score and the fact that we've rarely even trailed (and when we do we don't for long) all year I think the knock on the D is valid but I think in our eyes, it's also quite understandable considering the changes on that side of the ball.

I don't mind if we miss the Playoffs as much as I mind seeing us continuing to build on the success we've had and improve so that in the not too far distant future we're back to being a perennial top 10 to top 5 team like we'd been in almost every decade for a good deal of a century.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fair point to be sure. But, so is the fact that we lost some key players expected to help this team, so is the fact that despite our growing pains on defense, our skittish offense has managed to put us in a position to win. The FSU penalty can make it appear that the Offense failed the team but in actuality it was coach and the D, the offense has bailed us out all year. Sound familiar? I recall a defense doing that for us a couple of years ago. We simply need to have the two converge and then look-out! I don't think it's outrageous to call it an unreal season to say looking at the schedule and the predictions for us, that we're one play away from being one of the two only undefeated teams left after 8/9 weeks. Think about that, one play from being ranked #1 or #2 in that initial CFP ranking. Sure there's plenty of football left and that doesn't mean that what we've done to this point should be ignored or downplayed or shrugged off. Just because our opponents haven't lived up to their own isn't our fault. I think it's hilarious how the talking heads and even the committee can have their cake and eat it too in the sense that they talk up the SOS as long as it's strong but then point to it as a weakness as if it's our fault their seasons aren't shaping up as expected. It's an issue if you've lost a game but isn't if you haven't. If FSU doesn't lose, they're in, despite their SOS, despite the relative perception of the ACC. Funny how that works huh? One game determining if your SOS is good enough, one game determining who your best win was against, one game determining so much when it's 1/12th of the body. If you can't see how absurd that is I don't know what to tell ya. I don't like the system, I think until you allow teams themselves to determine their fate, it's a flawed system. That's a topic for its own thread but if you really look at our season as a whole, I don't think you can say it's not unreal in many ways.

We weren't expected to be where we are before losing players to eligibility or injury. We weren't expected to beat the defending National Champs on the road and we came one play away from doing it. That's a really small degree of separation from being the MSU and FSU in the CFP conversation than being one of the many 1-loss teams behind them... all in a year we weren't expected to contend at all.

I mean don't get me wrong, you all can tell by now I don't hold back when I think our coaches err or make dumb decisions. But even with the bad things you look at how we're sitting and you have to think we could have 1-3 more losses on our record than we do and in reality, we have been in position to WIN every single game.

Also, one last note... remember that VanGorder's last job was in the Pros and before that I believe he had a year or two at Auburn. Guess how many pure option teams he's probably seen in that time? Even @ Auburn I doubt he's seen it more than once or twice. That's not always so easy to game plan around. Those who are old enough remember Greg Mattison's years here and how even with the familiarity of playing Navy year in and year out we had rough weeks every time we faced an offense employing the option. When did our domination of Navy stop? After Weis came and brought his own staff. Now don't get me wrong, I know that's typical so it's not like I'm saying we should've never got rid of Mattison, even his D's had games where Navy gave us fits. But, I'd rather have what Kelly and more specifically Van Gorder is doing with this Defense than what Charlie was giving us with Rick Minter or Bill Lewis. I mean I suppose it was bound to happen at some point but I remember that day losing to Navy after 43 years and thinking, REALLY?! Navy!? We need to bring the D back to ND and I think we're on the right path. I'll live with the growing pains for now. :D

Your team has played above what I thought they would this year but you won't see why people don;t give you the respect you think you deserve because you're biased ( nothing wrong with that it is what it is). Yes you were one play away from beating FSU but that means 99% of the game you played them pretty much even and they are only getting love because they are undefeated and are last years champs. Their schedule also sucks and they have been squeaking by in a lot of games so they haven't shown to be a great team. You're in a line of teams who almost beat them. You beat Stanford on the last play of the game which means you played them even for 99% of the game. A Stanford team that isn;t looking that great this year. So take your FSU argument and apply it to the Stanford game you're one play away from being a two loss team with a loss to a three loss team who just got spanked by Oregon. Still enough games to show you belong but the Navy game didn't help you out other than you didn't lose. Lucky for you the SEC teams still play each other but dont be surprised if a 2 loss Auburn gets more love because of the teams they did beat.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for setting me straight on that Purguy.

It seems like some of you feel like no matter what happens the rest of the season, ND was so awesome in the first 8 games that it will be considered one hell of a great season. Being highly ranked is nice but where we finish is what really matters. Going back to the beginning of the year I would have thought it would be fantastic to be ranked 10th at this point in the season. The thing is, at the beginning of the season I thought whooping Michigan and beating Stanford were a big deal but other teams have showed that beating Stanford or Michigan is not a big deal this year. I think it is too soon to proclaim this was an unreal season. How many of you would still say it was an unreal season if we drop a couple more regular season games and then lose a bowl game? Too much football left to call it a great season.

It has been a good season. We lost 5 players at the start and now lost our MLB. Its been a good season. Plus throw in a shut out against Mich and we beat Stanford.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You beat Stanford on the last play of the game which means you played them even for 99% of the game.

:scratch: .... :happyshake:

i-don-t-think-so-o.gif

Wrong as usual, SloGal ...

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"A Stanford team that isn;t looking that great this year. So take your FSU argument and apply it to the Stanford game you're one play away from being a two loss team with a loss to a three loss team who just got spanked by Oregon."

I guess this you forgot to read huh.

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A Stanford team that isn;t looking that great this year. So take your FSU argument and apply it to the Stanford game you're one play away from being a two loss team with a loss to a three loss team who just got spanked by Oregon."

I guess this you forgot to read huh.

Not at all ... I got all of that, Capt Obvious. And guess what ... I didn't need for you to tell me that.

I guess YOU are the one missing MY point in the matter ... as usual. The fact is ... if you're gonna troll the ND board (b/c your USC board is dead, I suppose), how about getting YOUR facts straight. The FSU argument was never mine, btw.

I see nothing has changed from our ESPN days. :whistle:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not at all ... I got all of that, Capt Obvious. And guess what ... I didn't need for you to tell me that.

I guess YOU are the one missing MY point in the matter ... as usual. The fact is ... if you're gonna troll the ND board (b/c your USC board is dead, I suppose), how about getting YOUR facts straight. The FSU argument was never mine, btw.

I see nothing has changed from our ESPN days. :whistle:

Ok you were one play away from losing that game and played even for 93.5% of the game .lol. Wow that makes huge difference . lol .

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter its still Stanford. I love beating Stanford, Mich, MSU and USC. When we play those teams I want that win more then any other games on the schedule. Something about beating those teams.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is stupid as can be. With same logic Miss State should have one loss and Alabama should be 2 loss team on how they played Arkansas. Arkansas team say what you want has not won SEC game in almost two years and sits right now with 4-5 record. Auburn team that should have three losses that should have been beat by SC, KSU and Ole Miss> SC team that got blown out by A&M.

You can down play all the games ND has won and say what if's to your blue in the face but there is no difference to struggles I am seeing in the SEC. Just ask the Bulldogs who everyone had being in the playoff picture two weeks ago getting blow out the Gators last Saturday. Gator team that got blown away by Mizzou who loss to Indiana > again Indiana at Home!!!

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is stupid as can be. With same logic Miss State should have one loss and Alabama should be 2 loss team on how they played Arkansas. Arkansas team say what you want has not won SEC game in almost two years and sits right now with 4-5 record. Auburn team that should have three losses that should have been beat by SC, KSU and Ole Miss> SC team that got blown out by A&M.

You can down play all the games ND has won and say what if's to your blue in the face but there is no difference to struggles I am seeing in the SEC. Just ask the Bulldogs who everyone had being in the playoff picture two weeks ago getting blow out the Gators last Saturday. Gator team that got blown away by Mizzou who loss to Indiana > again Indiana at Home!!!

Arkansas has played #3 Auburn, # 6 Alabama, #11 Georgia , #1 Mississippi State and still has to play #4 Ol Miss. Five from the top 11. Thats a crazy schedule .

Sportsguy9695

Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,643.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its too early for me to say this has been even a satisfying season. Arguably, our best game was a loss and arguably our 2nd best game was a win over 5-4 Stanford. I will be much more inclined to be satisfied if we can beat a ranked opponent this season. I still believe in this team and I think there is a chance we could make the playoffs. However, outside of FSU, we are playing potentially the 3 toughest teams on our schedule in the weeks ahead. We haven't beat a good team yet. I would hardly call it an "unreal season for the Irish". But it could be.

I agree it may be a little early to say if its been a satisfying season.

matthstl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia is not #11 after the loss to UF and will not be in the top 25 by the end of year. Ole Miss after two losses will be drop out of the top 10 and probably looking at one more probably two mores losses. These are good to average teams right now playing in the SEC that is not as dominate as they where.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know beating Stanford on the last offensive play of the game for ND wasn't a great thing for a below average Stanford team. However, you saw the elements of the game and it doesn't matter who you are playing in those types of conditions. It evens out the playing field so just scraping by is a good win

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know beating Stanford on the last offensive play of the game for ND wasn't a great thing for a below average Stanford team. However, you saw the elements of the game and it doesn't matter who you are playing in those types of conditions. It evens out the playing field so just scraping by is a good win

My only issue with the playoff committee is Michigan State being ranked so highly with only a win against Nebraska who almost lost to an FCS school. Sure Nebraska have only lost to Michigan State but really they are no better than Stanford because the Big Ten is weak this year and Stanford would have the same record or only two losses if they played in the Big Ten.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only issue with the playoff committee is Michigan State being ranked so highly with only a win against Nebraska who almost lost to an FCS school. Sure Nebraska have only lost to Michigan State but really they are no better than Stanford because the Big Ten is weak this year and Stanford would have the same record or only two losses if they played in the Big Ten.

I don't think it matters yet. The MSU rankings will come down to the Ohio State game. Ohio States will come down to MSU and the Big Ten Championship game. Ours is basically dependent on the ASU game, with a chance to pass teams if there is an upset and we win out against Louisville and SC. We still need a few upsets, but I think we come out of the weekend at #7 (assuming a win), and in a decent spot to make the playoff.

Lillyliverd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This really has been an unreal season. We went from a top 10 ranking (undeserved) to being exposed as the steaming pile of shit we are. This is the year that we will all remember for ND having the worst defense in ND history. The USC game today was the first game in years I had to quit watching. BK is full of shit when he says this team is a year away. This team sucks and just because you have a young team it isn't automatic that you will have a good team the next year. You need to see a lot of promise to have hope for next year and I don't see it. I know there were injuries but most of the players that weren't hurt played worse as the season went on.We don't have a proven QB, our receivers have regressed, our defense can't tackle, and our head coach is a boneheaded play caller. ND football is a mess and we will see the same old aggravating bullshit next year too.

Last edited by a moderator:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue this has been a surprise season and I never thought we woulda succeeded like this at this point, but as Purguy said, next year's expectations are gonna be huge! That's the year I was/am banking on really making some noise ... as long as Golson stays. If he leaves ... ut oh.

BTW ... all the analysis of upcoming teams jjc posted ... I'm petrified of USC - always am ... especially if we go to Coliseum 10-1 and everything is on the line. They would love nothing better to ruin us and have the athletes to do it.

And yes, ASU is NOW the biggest game to date and a sorely needed win to boost SOS ... and Louisville is no joke and I called this game to be problematic before season started. It's going to be an interesting few weeks ... wish we had ASU & USC on our turf this year. :ohwell:

LOL @ this post. Somebody put a bullet in my head. :doh:

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Tale of Two Seasons ...

Twas the best of times ... twas the worst of times.

The End