• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about getting fitted

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a ten year hiatus from golf. Recently with some cheap off the shelf clubs I got back into it. Ben at the range 2-3 times a week and played a couple of rounds. Got my wedges and irons dialed in but driver needs some work. It's amazing how much I forgot.

Anyway. If I'm serious about getting back into golf I need to get fitted. Now that I'm older and have more money I see golf equipment as more of an investment and want to make sure I get the right shit. Don't want to go to Dick's or a big chain. Talked to Golf Tech in Dallas but they are way beyond my playing ability at the moment. Thinking about Golf Galaxy in Dallas.

Any suggestions?

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely get fitted. The proper lie angles, lofts (driver) and shafts make a difference. Golf Galaxy is a good place to do it.

Reactions: GNG

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Took a ten year hiatus from golf. Recently with some cheap off the shelf clubs I got back into it. Ben at the range 2-3 times a week and played a couple of rounds. Got my wedges and irons dialed in but driver needs some work. It's amazing how much I forgot.

Anyway. If I'm serious about getting back into golf I need to get fitted. Now that I'm older and have more money I see golf equipment as more of an investment and want to make sure I get the right shit. Don't want to go to Dick's or a big chain. Talked to Golf Tech in Dallas but they are way beyond my playing ability at the moment. Thinking about Golf Galaxy in Dallas.

Any suggestions?
Golf Galaxy is owned by Dicks Sporting Goods. Go to a PGA professional in your area that sells golf equipment.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I remember them being Golfsmith and the name changing to Golf Galaxy. Gold Galaxy has PGA pros doing the fittings where Dicks has people that are "certified"

I played all the time when in my 20s and 30s. Never been fitted or had lessons. Had lots of friends that played and they helped me get my swing right. Back then I had a real aggressive swing. Fixed my "beginners slice" with stiff shafts but basically bought all my clubs off the shelf. Anyway. Life got busy for a while and now it's slowing back down so I've tried playing golf again and naturally, frustrated because I can't hit the ball straight consistently like I used to and each iron is considerably shorter. I figured it was all rust. Half of it is, the rest is playing whe the wrong clubs.

When I was at Dicks a couple of weeks ago I talked to their guy and they have a small assortment of shafts and grips but mostly interested in selling off the rack

Called Golf Galaxy and they seemed to know more about what I need. From shaft length and lie angle. Guy asked about my shafts and I told him they were stiff flex. "And you haven't played in 10 years and now your in your 40's...bet you pull the ball a lot." And I do. I didn't think that my swing mechanics and club head speed would have changed that much. He advice is to go ahead and get fitted and I would have better feedback while at the range or playing and that will help me get my swing mechanics improve. Don't wait until my swing is "perfect" because once I start hitting the ball straight with the wrong shafts, everything will be fubar.

Talked to Golf Tech and they seem more geared toward golfers on a competetition level. They were like "how often do you play? 4-5 times a week?" I was like "maybe 3-4 times a month." But they had a really nice set up and are the super expensive route. Maybe after a couple of years when I get back into the swing of things (pun intended)

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was fitted at Golf galaxy, I wasn't impressed by the results.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Any suggestions?

Glad to see you're getting back into it!

Dick's at one point had pga pros working in the golf dept. It would have been ideal to get fitted there.

From my understanding they got rid of all the pros...at least in the ATL metro they did so it truly functions more like a big box golf retailer now.

Fitted...really means 2 things. A static fitting...making sure the grip size, club length, and lie are right for you. After taking some measurements, you hit a few balls off a lie board and they typically can get you fit pretty well...if they have a simulator that can track clubhead speed...they will often suggest a shaft flex.

That's probably good enough for 90% of weekend players.

What I see these low index kids getting...shaft fitting in addition to the static fitting...every club you're on a launch monitor measuring launch angle, impact angle, spin rate...maybe 4 or 5 shafts you swing. Normally only upscale course pros offer that here.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked to Golf Tech and they seem more geared toward golfers on a competetition level. They were like "how often do you play? 4-5 times a week?" I was like "maybe 3-4 times a month." But they had a really nice set up and are the super expensive route. Maybe after a couple of years when I get back into the swing of things (pun intended)

This sounds like the shaft fitting I was talking about...it is expensive and takes several hours. I guy I play with, his HS age son thought he was going to try to play college golf so they ramped up lessons, extensive fitting etc. Thousands of dollars he said he spent on the whole deal.

If you're only going to be playing once a week, maybe 40-50 rounds a yr...I'm not sure I would be too concerned about the extensive type fitting.

A static fitting with a decent shaft match is more than enough I'm guessing.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds like the shaft fitting I was talking about...it is expensive and takes several hours. I guy I play with, his HS age son thought he was going to try to play college golf so they ramped up lessons, extensive fitting etc. Thousands of dollars he said he spent on the whole deal.
Yeah. They are way over my head. I want the right clubs with the right shafts. I understand why I'm pulling my driver with the stiff flex (face not opening up) but I have another old one with a regular flex that tends to slice. Seems kind of wobbly. Lol. My best way of learning is to just get out and play. Once I get the proper equipment I'm sure I'll be able to dial my swing back in. It's a little rough but each bucket of balls reteaches me a little more.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you're only going to be playing once a week, maybe 40-50 rounds a yr...I'm not sure I would be too concerned about the extensive type fitting.

A static fitting with a decent shaft match is more than enough I'm guessing.

I went to a place and did the whole nine yard fitting exercise, took about 90 minutes just for the driver.

the fitting alone cost $150, but you could either apply it to a club if you bought it from them, or choose to have a lifetime fitting for the club.

You end up paying nearly double for a fitted driver and shaft, but it's a club you'll keep in your bag and not replace in the next year or two when you continue to struggle...and for me, it gave me an extra 30 yards off the tee.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. They are way over my head. I want the right clubs with the right shafts. I understand why I'm pulling my driver with the stiff flex (face not opening up) but I have another old one with a regular flex that tends to slice. Seems kind of wobbly. Lol. My best way of learning is to just get out and play. Once I get the proper equipment I'm sure I'll be able to dial my swing back in. It's a little rough but each bucket of balls reteaches me a little more.

One sort of crazy thing about the golf industry...there are no set standards. Stiff flex from company A might measure something totally different from a stiff flex from company B. Then you have the bend point and tip flex...if you want high ball, low ball, or mid ball flight. Then you have the ball to factor. The 1st guy that fitted me was a clubmaker/fitter. He had all the launch monitors, 15+ steel shafts and maybe 7 or 8 graphite shafts for irons.

Guy really knew his shit, after seeing your launch monitor results which included ideal spin rates, etc. he have you in the right shaft in about 30 mins. But he was in a retail location...he wasn't cheap, but for the money he was charging (like $250 for a full fitting) there was no way he was going to make it...he needed a warehouse or industrial location. He closed within 3 yrs.

Playing...same for me. I don't have the greatest swing, but I'm typically consistent enough swing wise to be in the 80s every week. Where I screw up a lot is trying to do too much from lies you just don't get at the range. Below your feet, above your feet, side hill, downhill...stuff you only face on the course.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a place and did the whole nine yard fitting exercise, took about 90 minutes just for the driver.

the fitting alone cost $150, but you could either apply it to a club if you bought it from them, or choose to have a lifetime fitting for the club.

You end up paying nearly double for a fitted driver and shaft, but it's a club you'll keep in your bag and not replace in the next year or two when you continue to struggle...and for me, it gave me an extra 30 yards off the tee.

While pretty sure I wouldn't gain that much, 30 yds is a lot. At least 2 clubs less into the green...that's well worth 150 to me.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While pretty sure I wouldn't gain that much, 30 yds is a lot. At least 2 clubs less into the green...that's well worth 150 to me.

Just shows how poorly fitted I was at Golf Galaxy.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just shows how poorly fitted I was at Golf Galaxy.

What do you think they did differently?

30 yds ia pretty big gain. It really sounds like they had you in the wrong shaft @ GG.

I played with a guy recently that had a good swing...consistently hits the center of the clubface, but not much clubhead speed...hits the ball about 230. I could see him getting fitted and finding another 20-30 as well.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on where you go to I guess. Of the three I talked to in my area:
Dicks - generally more interested in selling off the rack
Galaxy - more helpful and knowledgeable
Tech - way beyond my playing ability.

I'm leaning more toward Galaxy at this point. But I'm going to look around a bit more

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But yeah, I think the key to my swing is going to be in finding the proper shaft but if that gives me an excuse to buy a new driver and a set of irons I'll all for it

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wierd thing is that I have NEVER been able to be a 3 wood off the deck. No matter how many tips and teaching and time at the range. But since my 10 year hiatus, I was at the range a couple months ago trying to get back into it - getting frustrated with all the thin hits, fat hits, shanks, slices, tops and pulls. Said fuck it and pulled out the 3 wood and every strike was crisp. Ball launched high, straight and long.

Since then I have gotten more consistent with my irons. Still can't figure out why I can all of a sudden hit a 3 wood after years of failure.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think they did differently?

30 yds ia pretty big gain. It really sounds like they had you in the wrong shaft @ GG.

I played with a guy recently that had a good swing...consistently hits the center of the clubface, but not much clubhead speed...hits the ball about 230. I could see him getting fitted and finding another 20-30 as well.

I have a really high game. GG measured my swing speed in the low 80's, put me in a 10.5 degree Taylormade, slightly closed face, the lightest club they made, stiff shaft. Worked well on the monitor, but not on the course.

At Totally Driven, they clocked my swing speed at 98-100, heavier club head 12 degree with a stiff shaft high kick point, this actually lowered my ball flight, lowered the spin rate and gave me extra roll. With the Taylormade, I left divots in the fairway when the ball landed, almost no roll.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wierd thing is that I have NEVER been able to be a 3 wood off the deck. No matter how many tips and teaching and time at the range. But since my 10 year hiatus, I was at the range a couple months ago trying to get back into it - getting frustrated with all the thin hits, fat hits, shanks, slices, tops and pulls. Said fuck it and pulled out the 3 wood and every strike was crisp. Ball launched high, straight and long.

Since then I have gotten more consistent with my irons. Still can't figure out why I can all of a sudden hit a 3 wood after years of failure.

Don't try, you might find out you can't hit it again.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a really high game. GG measured my swing speed in the low 80's, put me in a 10.5 degree Taylormade, slightly closed face, the lightest club they made, stiff shaft. Worked well on the monitor, but not on the course.

At Totally Driven, they clocked my swing speed at 98-100, heavier club head 12 degree with a stiff shaft high kick point, this actually lowered my ball flight, lowered the spin rate and gave me extra roll. With the Taylormade, I left divots in the fairway when the ball landed, almost no roll.

Interesting that GG clocked you low 80s but still put you in a stiff shaft and you were hitting moon balls...weird combination. Obviously the shaft was too light for you.

The high kick point would lower your flight. That grafalloy blue was a good driver shaft for me, but the best was a UST65 proforce with a high kick point and stiff tip.

The good thing about drivers now is most of the bigger brands are offering multiple stock shaft options....I'm playing the Diamana 72 in my Titleist driver now and PGA Superstore had 4 other options in the demo rack.

With all the adjustability these clubs have...I left mine at neutral...I should tinker with it to try and take out the left side of the course, but I'm afraid to fool with it.