• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Ribeye's this afternoon and it turned out perfect. Best steak I've had in awhile.

1 inch steak that was almost a lb and a half and I ate it all. 1500 glorious calories.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot to give an update on the pulled pork...

Turned out really good but definitely learned some things.

First off, the store I went to only had the pork shoulders in the bag. Of which had the bone (which might be typical?), and had a very solid layer of skin & fat that I had to cut off. Felt like I was skinning a hind quarter on a deer lol. I trimmed all the obvious fats globs around the shoulder and just hunked the meat off the bone. In hindsight it was probably an unnecessary step since it would have pulled away from the bone easier after cooking. Oh well both methods probably work just fine. Came away with roughly 7 lbs of pork to cook with. More than what i intended to use, but turned out to be a perfect amount.

Secondly, I blindly used the servings calculator provided on the site where I got the recipe. That was a terrible idea. I kinda thought when I was putting all those liquids in that it would basically come out like a soup, and sure enough it did. I spent a few minutes ladling the liquids out before returning the pork. I took out probably 1/2 to 3/4's of the crockpot worth of liquid lol. Put the pork back in and it was still fairly runny, but I wanted it to simmer after I pulled the meat apart so I went with it. Pretty sure that's what this recipe intended anyways. But it was noticeably runny when eating it. Every bite on the sandwich would squirt juices out the back.

But the meat was delicious. Very tender, juicy, and tasty. Next time I do this recipe I'm definitely cutting the liquids to about a quarter. And I'd like to try a dry rub next time.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love boneless/skinless leg quarters. I usually get them for $1.79 a lb and eat them a few times a week in various ways(grilled is my favorite and most often).

I've been thinking about smoking a whole chicken, but for some reason I always come home with pork butt.
Why not do both?

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had Ribeye's this afternoon and it turned out perfect. Best steak I've had in awhile.

1 inch steak that was almost a lb and a half and I ate it all. 1500 glorious calories.
I bought 2 ribeyes yesterday for about $28 from the butcher. I'm going to make one tomorrow and Sunday and text the pictures of the final product to my girlfriend just to rub it in her face for visiting her parents for the weekend.

LongtimeRamsFan42

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bought 2 ribeyes yesterday for about $28 from the butcher. I'm going to make one tomorrow and Sunday and text the pictures of the final product to my girlfriend just to rub it in her face for visiting her parents for the weekend.

Yum!!! I love ribeyes steaks, well not literally, that would be weird :lol:... Definitely the tastiest cut(especially nice and rare :tongue:)

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just like pulled pork too much.
I feel like a sinner for saying this being from Georgia but it isn't worth my attention to detail. I like it, I just don't love it.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

83a6be7f4a8991cf5523547e0e10baeb.gif

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love boneless/skinless leg quarters. I usually get them for $1.79 a lb and eat them a few times a week in various ways(grilled is my favorite and most often).

I've been thinking about smoking a whole chicken, but for some reason I always come home with pork butt.

Chicken is easy like pork. At first I did injected and rubbed stuff on it but then I just started taking it out of the package and putting in the smoker.
If you have never tried breakfast sausage in the smoker you're missing out. Another easy one. Toss it in. Cook 225 for aournd 4 hrs(on a big roll, I use Blue and Gold sausage) take out slice up and eat while you drink some beer.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First off, the store I went to only had the pork shoulders in the bag. Of which had the bone (which might be typical?), and had a very solid layer of skin & fat that I had to cut off. Felt like I was skinning a hind quarter on a deer lol. I trimmed all the obvious fats globs around the shoulder and just hunked the meat off the bone. In hindsight it was probably an unnecessary step since it would have pulled away from the bone easier after cooking. Oh well both methods probably work just fine. Came away with roughly 7 lbs of pork to cook with. More than what i intended to use, but turned out to be a perfect amount.

Secondly, I blindly used the servings calculator provided on the site where I got the recipe. That was a terrible idea. I kinda thought when I was putting all those liquids in that it would basically come out like a soup, and sure enough it did. I spent a few minutes ladling the liquids out before returning the pork. I took out probably 1/2 to 3/4's of the crockpot worth of liquid lol. Put the pork back in and it was still fairly runny, but I wanted it to simmer after I pulled the meat apart so I went with it. Pretty sure that's what this recipe intended anyways. But it was noticeably runny when eating it. Every bite on the sandwich would squirt juices out the back.

But the meat was delicious. Very tender, juicy, and tasty. Next time I do this recipe I'm definitely cutting the liquids to about a quarter. And I'd like to try a dry rub next time.

Next time leave the bone in. Bone = flavor.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I should have mentioned the bone.

Leave it in when cooking, when it's done it will pull right out without much resistance at all, other than the weight of the meat on top of it. It's one of the indicators that it's done enough. None of the meat will stick to it, you'll pull out a clean bone.

It's just easier, I doubt it made much difference in your overall taste.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicken is easy like pork. At first I did injected and rubbed stuff on it but then I just started taking it out of the package and putting in the smoker.
If you have never tried breakfast sausage in the smoker you're missing out. Another easy one. Toss it in. Cook 225 for aournd 4 hrs(on a big roll, I use Blue and Gold sausage) take out slice up and eat while you drink some beer.

I make my own sausage. I never thought of smoking a breakfast sausage. I also only just do patties, but I bought some casings last week to try italian sausage, so I have some bigger casings. Might do that for lunch next time I smoke a pork butt(after the one I do sunday anyway).

Grocery store has pork butt's on sale for 99 cents this weekend, about to go pick a couple up even though I just grinded up 20lbs of sausage a few days ago.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like a sinner for saying this being from Georgia but it isn't worth my attention to detail. I like it, I just don't love it.

I went the majority of my life not liking pulled pork(or thinking I didn't like it). I got my smoker just to do ribs, but my wife talked me into doing pulled pork for her and I've been loving and smoking at least 2 a month ever since.

Turned out, I had only had Carolina style which I still hate.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I make my own sausage. I never thought of smoking a breakfast sausage. I also only just do patties, but I bought some casings last week to try italian sausage, so I have some bigger casings. Might do that for lunch next time I smoke a pork butt(after the one I do sunday anyway).

Grocery store has pork butt's on sale for 99 cents this weekend, about to go pick a couple up even though I just grinded up 20lbs of sausage a few days ago.

Once you try some smoked breakfast sausage you'll throw some on every time you smoke. It's easy and done before everything else so you can eat that while you finish up the rest. Totally different flavor than fried.