• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Things We're Cooking

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have meatloaf mix in the fridge I need to cook up tonight or tomorrow.

The new cookbook we got (The Food Lab) has a pretty elaborate recipe for meatloaf (it calls for gelatin!), but I might just keep it simple and go with my mom's recipe. Will decide tonight.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just made myself some venison street tacos:

Taco.jpg

Carne Asada:
2 Venison steaks (cut into strips)

Seasoning: Salt & Worcestershire Pepper. Cumin, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, & Cayenne.

Pico de Gallo (everything grown in my garden :thumb:) :
2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
2 orange scotch bonnet peppers (minced)
1/2 cup Fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp White Vinegar
3 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Orange Juice

Other: Wheat tortilla & sour cream. Olive oil in the skillet for the steak.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just made myself some venison street tacos:

Taco.jpg

Carne Asada:
2 Venison steaks (cut into strips)

Seasoning: Salt & Worcestershire Pepper. Cumin, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, & Cayenne.

Pico de Gallo (everything grown in my garden :thumb:) :
2 Roma tomatoes (diced)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
2 orange scotch bonnet peppers (minced)
1/2 cup Fresh cilantro
3 Tbsp White Vinegar
3 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Tbsp Orange Juice

Other: Wheat tortilla & sour cream. Olive oil in the skillet for the steak.
I'm putting together some tacos myself tonight in honor of National Taco Day. I have a couple of skirt steaks sitting in a Mexican seasoning I put together that I'm gonna throw on the cast iron shortly. I started making this avocado cream sauce recently that goes awesome with them too. Your pico sounds delicious, by the way.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How'd it go? I just got a new smoker last month and I'm probably gonna fire it up this weekend.

It was honestly some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.

It was also the easiest thing to smoke because it's so thick and just a big block you don't have to worry about temperatures being uneven and all that. Or so thin it doesn't even matter if you get a temp really. I use a probe with a remote thing, so it's just a matter of getting the right temp in knowing when it's perfectly done.

The only thing is they take much longer than ribs. So you have to start early early morning on them. I finished mine up in the oven once it had enough smoke and I wrapped it. Saves on wood.

Actually picked up another one yesterday, smoking it this weekend. Did ribs last weekend.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was honestly some of the best BBQ I've ever eaten.

It was also the easiest thing to smoke because it's so thick and just a big block you don't have to worry about temperatures being uneven and all that. Or so thin it doesn't even matter if you get a temp really. I use a probe with a remote thing, so it's just a matter of getting the right temp in knowing when it's perfectly done.

The only thing is they take much longer than ribs. So you have to start early early morning on them. I finished mine up in the oven once it had enough smoke and I wrapped it. Saves on wood.

Actually picked up another one yesterday, smoking it this weekend. Did ribs last weekend.
That's awesome. I smoked a pork butt a couple months ago with my girlfriend's dad and it turned out amazing. Her mom makes a homemade sweet and spicy mustard that I'm thinking of using as the binder but then I'm not sure what all spices I'm going to use on the outside for the crust. Brown sugar is a staple but I wanted to try and mix things up a bit. What do you use?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's awesome. I smoked a pork butt a couple months ago with my girlfriend's dad and it turned out amazing. Her mom makes a homemade sweet and spicy mustard that I'm thinking of using as the binder but then I'm not sure what all spices I'm going to use on the outside for the crust. Brown sugar is a staple but I wanted to try and mix things up a bit. What do you use?

I just use a store bought rub, and I use it lightly. Someday I'll develop my own rub, but right now it's just another factor for me to fuck up. Smoking on a stickburner is new to me still, but I'm loving it.

I do use an apple juice/brown sugar mix for spraying and keeping it moist, so it does get brown sugar on it that way.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Doing another pork butt this weekend and making my own rub, well sorta.

Pork Butt Dry Rub

Using this rub. I don't know if it's what Big Bob Gibson's uses, but it's from that guy everyone associates with it. It's a local place to where I grew up and wife loves it, so I figure it's a good place to start. Brown sugar and regular sugar in it.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pork Butt Dry Rub

Using this rub. I don't know if it's what Big Bob Gibson's uses, but it's from that guy everyone associates with it. It's a local place to where I grew up and wife loves it, so I figure it's a good place to start. Brown sugar and regular sugar in it.
That sounds pretty damn good. I like using ginger in it. What are you going to use as a binder?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a spaghetti squash to cook up tonight. No idea what needs to be done to make that taste good...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds pretty damn good. I like using ginger in it. What are you going to use as a binder?

Nothing planned, I've never needed a binder. I must use less rub than most people, because I have no trouble getting it to stick. I suppose if this rub turns out differently I'll just be using mustard like most.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've got a spaghetti squash to cook up tonight. No idea what needs to be done to make that taste good...

Throw it in the trash and cook some real pasta is my best advice. I let the wife talk me into that once and it was slimy and nasty.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing. I don't care what anyone says. Those things are disgusting.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I have only had it once. I didn't hate it....but it's a lot in that gourd.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like spaghetti squash. Halve it, rub it inside and out with olive oil. Mix T kosher salt, 1 tsp pepper, T brown sugar and a 8th tsp of cinnamon together, rub it all over the insides. Roast at 400 for an hour face down. cool a little then shred with a couple forks.

Serve under a good steak.

Reactions: ill

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pork Butt Dry Rub

I did more research and found out that this recipe isn't legit I guess. I found the one in a book and it was mentioned multiple times. Luckily I had the extra ingredients to make it, and I used it instead.

CHRIS LILLY'S SIX-TIME WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP PORK SHOULDER

The rubs tasted close to each other, but this one has more kick/after burn.

I injected as well, but I changed the recipe because it was way too salty. So I dilluted it with 2 extra cups of apple juice, then poured some out, added more apple juice.

Haven't tasted yet, currently at 185 so probably an hour or 2 until I get to eat. Hope it's good, the bark looked fucking awesome.