• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The trend continues.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND just announced tuition, room and board for next year will be increased by 4.1% That means a year at ND will now cost $59,461. This year's freshman will pay 1/4 million dollars before they get out.

bbirish73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow. hope nobody takes their scholarship for granted

whywork2

Archduke of Guacamole
Hoopla Cash
$ 381.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not for athletes getting paid. A quarter of a million dollar education should be enough. Now if they change the rules so that schools can't drop the athletes of scholarship for no good reason, that I can understand. I keep on hearing how these kids are being taken advantage of but I just don't buy it. Where does it stop. Who do you pay.. etc. Between health care and education the cost just keep skyrocketting. Greed is not good.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not for athletes getting paid. A quarter of a million dollar education should be enough. Now if they change the rules so that schools can't drop the athletes of scholarship for no good reason, that I can understand. I keep on hearing how these kids are being taken advantage of but I just don't buy it. Where does it stop. Who do you pay.. etc. Between health care and education the cost just keep skyrocketting. Greed is not good.

Not to go off on a political rant, but while the politicans and the country fixated on the rising costs of health care, nobody batted an eye at the even higher rising costs of higher education. You want to talk about an industry that produces, at best, mixed results, has been able to raise its costs at a rate that far exceeds inflation, even at a greater rate then health care costs. We've all been force-fed the notion that you need a college degree to succeed and while the numbers support in general that college educated will make more money over a lifetime than those without degrees, forcing people to go to school and pay for a peice of paper is a bad idea. College really and truly isn't for anyone, and there are a lot of useless degrees that serve little purpose other than to justify some faculty member's salary, because the degree will not yeild a job. Nowadays, everyone has a B.A. or B.S., now you need to throw money at a graduate degree as well. Universities with their tenured professorships demand ever more money but the payoff isn't always there.

Now, I don't think we need a healthcare type solution is the answer and the one we have now is a nightmare, but students should act as consumers and identify a program that is right for them and at the right price. The market should eventually take care of this problem.

Now to the issue at hand, I agree, I have been staunchly against the idea that college atheletes should be paid. The insane amount of benefit their scholarship brings is more than enough. And if they should be treated as employees, then make them pay taxes on these "benefits." Otherwise, take your free $250,000 education and STFU. And as a former collegiate athelete in a non-revenue sport, most of the scholarships for such sports aren't even full, and they can offer far fewer of them. So the old canard that the football team funds the Athetic Dept. is just that, a canard. By all rights shouldn't those atheletes get more money too? They work just as hard and pay more of their own way. What about the Title 9 and IRS implications?

Its a fine sentiment, but one that would create utter chaos.

Want to solve the football factory problem on campus, want to create more parity while maintaining some shred of academic integrity, tie scholarship numbers to classroom performance and GSR rates. The oversigning/greyshirting BS would stop and the notion of admitting someone that has no other earthly business on a college campus would subside.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wywork, is the Marquette emblem new.