• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Train Wreck At Augusta

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The golf course exacts it's revenge on golfers, who for one shot, doubt their ability. It's the most brutal test of mental stamina of any golf course and or tournament on the planet. Jordan Spieth has been through this before. I'm not blaming him. He's a very talented pro. But he has blown a fuse before, in other tournaments.
And he's only 22. It must be tough for him tonight. But I thought he was tired mentally towards the end of round three. Jordan is great for golf. But he was on the practice putting green early in the morning, before a 1:45PM tee time. And he analyzes everything to obsession.
I guess the stunning thing about the Masters was, not that Jordan was playing so well. But what happened to Day, McIlroy, and Fowler?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it a train wreck. One of the best golfers in the world took the course for granted and got eaten alive. That's what's supposed to happen.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call it a train wreck. One of the best golfers in the world took the course for granted and got eaten alive. That's what's supposed to happen.

Maybe it is his age......The same thing happened to Rory at Augusta.......But it has happened to Spieth in other tournaments twice before, pretty much in the same way.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm never going to make another prediction. This collapse was as epic as it comes.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was epic...no running away from that and I much like Rory did...he faced it head on.

IMO...and his comments kind of support this...after the birdie on 9...he basically knew it was his tournament to lose with 2 par 5s yet to play and he let off the gas and starting trying to guide it in hitting those weak, short right shots that he spoke about.

You just can't let up at all on that course....12 is the most dangerous short hole in major golf...some nerves were in play there, but it got him.

He tried to fight back so imo it wasn't an epic collapse in the same class with Norman's....but for a 3 hole stretch it was real ugly...I think he'll be fine and be back in contention again in a major.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This was epic...no running away from that and I much like Rory did...he faced it head on.

IMO...and his comments kind of support this...after the birdie on 9...he basically knew it was his tournament to lose with 2 par 5s yet to play and he let off the gas and starting trying to guide it in hitting those weak, short right shots that he spoke about.

You just can't let up at all on that course....12 is the most dangerous short hole in major golf...some nerves were in play there, but it got him.

He tried to fight back so imo it wasn't an epic collapse in the same class with Norman's....but for a 3 hole stretch it was real ugly...I think he'll be fine and be back in contention again in a major.

Yep. The obvious analogy would be how McIlroy won the US Open after his 2011 Master collapse. Spieth certainly has the game and mental toughness to do the same. Having to put that green jacket on Willett twice had to be grueling for Spieth.

The one who I believe is hopeless is Johnson. This guy never appears to come through in the clutch & his putting just kills him.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The obvious analogy would be how McIlroy won the US Open after his 2011 Master collapse. Spieth certainly has the game and mental toughness to do the same. Having to put that green jacket on Willett twice had to be grueling for Spieth.

The one who I believe is hopeless is Johnson. This guy never appears to come through in the clutch & his putting just kills him.

A lot of guys had a shot at this Masters and just didn't post anything worthy on Sun. to claim it...then it looked like it would be a cakewalk, then a free fall and we saw him try to climb back, but it was not to be.

IMO DJ has to post and wait to win a major.

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the easy part but there's much more to it than that. Those of us who watch golf have seen the obvious changes in Speith the last yr or so. His game is filled with doubt and hesitation. Between his swing coach and head coach he can hardly get himself to stand over a ball. Finally this past wkend people in the game were saying out loud this kid takes too damn long to hit a fuckin shot! I've been bitching about this since late last yr and he's worse than ever. If you golf you know how hesitating over every single shot hurts your game , not too mention it slows everyone else with you. This kid steps off nearly every shot including putts and he needs to do something about it asap. Last Saturday he was warned on the course to get his ass in gear. He's so fucked up now he can't help himself.
What's most amazing is he did not hit the ball that well all week long and he nearly walked away with a green jacket without much competition. Anyone with THAT kind of talent doesn't need to look at one shot , let alone all of them. He can literally putt his way to a win anywhere regardless how he's hitting the ball. Someone who's close to him better get ahold of him and tell him to relax, get back to playing golf and get his ass in gear.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the easy part but there's much more to it than that. Those of us who watch golf have seen the obvious changes in Speith the last yr or so. His game is filled with doubt and hesitation. Between his swing coach and head coach he can hardly get himself to stand over a ball. Finally this past wkend people in the game were saying out loud this kid takes too damn long to hit a fuckin shot! I've been bitching about this since late last yr and he's worse than ever. If you golf you know how hesitating over every single shot hurts your game , not too mention it slows everyone else with you. This kid steps off nearly every shot including putts and he needs to do something about it asap. Last Saturday he was warned on the course to get his ass in gear. He's so fucked up now he can't help himself.
What's most amazing is he did not hit the ball that well all week long and he nearly walked away with a green jacket without much competition. Anyone with THAT kind of talent doesn't need to look at one shot , let alone all of them. He can literally putt his way to a win anywhere regardless how he's hitting the ball. Someone who's close to him better get ahold of him and tell him to relax, get back to playing golf and get his ass in gear.

Ya know...I buy most of that, he has been more fidgety over the ball lately, but he was doing the same thing enroute to 3 or 4 straight birdies to close out the front.

He said it himself...he turned 10 thinking even par on that side would be enough to win it...mentally he was already playing those holes when started thinking ahead. In doing so, he violated one of the most sacred unwritten rules in golf...play one shot at a time.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last year or so? He won 2 majors last year. He melted down on one hole. The shot in the water to begin it all happens. Augusta has teeth. The 2nd shot was awful because he went up to it pissed off like a hacker and the third in the bunker was a joke because he was just looking to keep it from the water and ended up in the bunker.

That was a meltdown because of his immaturity. You can say there were cracks but you're criticizing a guy who was on cruise control to win a 2nd consecutive masters that showed a lot of immaturity. I still say he's money and nothing is broken. He's 22 years old and had a meltdown. It just goes to show you how slim the margin of victory is at the top level of the sport.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year or so? He won 2 majors last year. He melted down on one hole. The shot in the water to begin it all happens. Augusta has teeth. The 2nd shot was awful because he went up to it pissed off like a hacker and the third in the bunker was a joke because he was just looking to keep it from the water and ended up in the bunker.

That was a meltdown because of his immaturity. You can say there were cracks but you're criticizing a guy who was on cruise control to win a 2nd consecutive masters that showed a lot of immaturity. I still say he's money and nothing is broken. He's 22 years old and had a meltdown. It just goes to show you how slim the margin of victory is at the top level of the sport.

He didn't try to hide from it...faced his failure head on...he'll be fine...he does need to play a little more decisively though...these warnings and strokes he's lost on time should kick him in gear a bit.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that he will rebound. Too much talent for him not to.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he'll be fine and as for sympathy, there's several thousand children in hospital beds who are in front of Jordan on my list.

Handsome, young, wealthy and talented. He lost a golf tournament.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure he'll be fine and as for sympathy, there's several thousand children in hospital beds who are in front of Jordan on my list.

Handsome, young, wealthy and talented. He lost a golf tournament.

Sympathy?

Freakin 22 y/o cashed $880,000 after blowing a tourney...nah, he doesn't need my sympathy....I could live off his money's interest quite well.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The golf course exacts it's revenge on golfers, who for one shot, doubt their ability. It's the most brutal test of mental stamina of any golf course and or tournament on the planet. Jordan Spieth has been through this before. I'm not blaming him. He's a very talented pro. But he has blown a fuse before, in other tournaments.
And he's only 22. It must be tough for him tonight. But I thought he was tired mentally towards the end of round three. Jordan is great for golf. But he was on the practice putting green early in the morning, before a 1:45PM tee time. And he analyzes everything to obsession.
I guess the stunning thing about the Masters was, not that Jordan was playing so well. But what happened to Day, McIlroy, and Fowler?
It certainly was a suden breakdown on the back nine. He had just birdied the last 4 holes and then goes bogey, bogey, Quad. To be honest though he had been struggling with the driver for the past three rounds hitting everything to the right which is what caused his bogeys on 10 and 11. Even the tee ball on 12 was sliced high and right. He just didn't have it but credit him for holding the lead that long when he was not playing well. Still, I'm very disappointed.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember McIlroy, after his monumental collapse at Augusta, won the very next Major he played in, the U.S. Open. Lets see if Spieth does the same. It would not surprise me.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again with Spieth, he is a class act. And I admire him for facing up to the media.. He had great maturity as opposed to Cam Newton. But Jordan has to figure out his thinking in the two masters he was leading and of course Number 12 at Augusta. Two out of the three last Masters, he's put it into Reyes Creek on Sunday. And he seems to blow circuit breakers at certain times during tournaments...but he's 22. He has a long career in front of him.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a year ago.......same hole

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a year ago.......same hole

Yep & that is a tough hole & no doubt it is in Speith's head to a certain degree. Three more majors left - will be very interesting to see how all of these guys respond moving forward - should be fun.