• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The top 20 non-conference college football games for 2017

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad scheduling on OU's part. They'll be all beat up after playing my Miners on 9/2 and won't be ready for the bucknuts!

It's been a pretty brutal stretch for you guys, hasn't it? Something like one winning season in the last dozen years or so dating back to the Mike Price era.

I'm rooting for you guys though, if nothing else because of your coach Sean Kugler. He's a good dude. He was Boise's O-Line coach for one season before he took off for the NFL but it was a good one. We finished in the top 5 and beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl. We had a really good line that year too filled with a lot of talented guys.

There's one quote from Chris Petersen from that season that I'll never forget. It's always stuck with me. He said, "There's no question in my mind that Sean Kugler's the best football coach that I've ever been around." That seems hard to believe but it's still pretty cool that he said it nonetheless.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man there are some really weak games on the list. Seems like last year's non-conference match ups were better. It's pretty evident that they nailed the first four in order although I'm more psyched about the first three and #1 and #2 in particular.

That was one hell of an ass whipping that Ohio State put on OU in Norman, embarrassing. It will be interesting to see how they respond in Columbus.

I expect Bama to kind of handle Florida State but that should be a #1 versus #3 match up and possibly even a #1 versus #2 match up. My guess is FSU should hang tough for the first couple/three quarters. And then the physical toll will kick in after getting ground down and ground down some more and the flood gates will open a bit.

I'm expecting a better game this year. I never had a good feeling about last year's game though. Didn't stop me from shelling out $350 for tickets though. :L

Boise4Life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm expecting a better game this year. I never had a good feeling about last year's game though. Didn't stop me from shelling out $350 for tickets though. :L

Oh I don't blame you. I would have paid $350 to see it too and I have no dog in the hunt.

They really did play out of their minds in that game though. I mean that catch in the corner of the end zone alone. Holy shit.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I don't blame you. I would have paid $350 to see it too and I have no dog in the hunt.

They really did play out of their minds in that game though. I mean that catch in the corner of the end zone alone. Holy shit.

Our team was a mess at that time. WR, DB, O line, and linebacker were all a giant cluster fuck. :L

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooners are afraid to schedule nobody.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see they didn't include any of the non conference games played annually.

Georgia-Georgia Tech
Florida-Florida State
South Carolina-Clemson
Kentucky-Louisville
USC-Notre Dame

etc

osubuckeye89

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,440.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is WMU and USC on this list? Western Michigan lost everything including their "Row the Boat" saying.

And Navy at Florida Atlantic

A CUSA team who went 3-9 last year vs Navy

pretty sure there are plenty of better non-conference games.

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see they didn't include any of the non conference games played annually.

Georgia-Georgia Tech
Florida-Florida State
South Carolina-Clemson
Kentucky-Louisville
USC-Notre Dame

etc

These are a lot better than some of the others on that list ... Kentucky-Louisville is usually a great basketball game.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, Nebraska must really suck.

16. Nebraska at Oregon
– Sept. 9 (Week 2): This is a big one for two teams looking to climb the standings in their respective conferences. For Oregon, it’s the first test for the team and new coach Willie Taggart, who hopes to execute a quick turnaround for the Ducks following a disastrous 4-8 record in 2016. Meanwhile, year two under Mike Riley for the Huskers resulted in the Bo Pelini special: 9-4. A Week 2 win at Autzen Stadium could set the tone for the Huskers’ 2017 campaign and be a huge confidence booster for QB Tanner Lee, a Tulane transfer.

14. Wyoming at Iowa – Sept. 2 (Week 1): Folks who pay attention to the NFL Draft know the name Josh Allen. If you’re unfamiliar, this will be your first glimpse at the Wyoming quarterback, who is slated by some to be the top quarterback prospect in the nation. He led the Cowboys to a division title last year and will play a Big Ten West opponent on the road for the second year in a row. Last year didn’t go so well as Allen threw five interceptions in a 52-17 loss at Nebraska. He’ll hope to fare better against an Iowa defense with a stud at linebacker in Josey Jewell.
That is odd. Neb was 9-4 vs Oregon who was 4-8. Nebraska with a new QB and a new Def coordinator with majorly new D players. Oregon new coach and trying to rebuild the D game that was 35-32 last season.

while Iowa was 8-5 and Wyoming was 8-6. both looking for some playmakers on offense. Iowa prob solid on line and at RB. Wyoming at QB and line. Wyoming has no real D and Iowa usually solid there.

not really sure what the differential there was that has one over the other. Maybe overall records from last season.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is odd. Neb was 9-4 vs Oregon who was 4-8. Nebraska with a new QB and a new Def coordinator with majorly new D players. Oregon new coach and trying to rebuild the D game that was 35-32 last season.

while Iowa was 8-5 and Wyoming was 8-6. both looking for some playmakers on offense. Iowa prob solid on line and at RB. Wyoming at QB and line. Wyoming has no real D and Iowa usually solid there.

not really sure what the differential there was that has one over the other. Maybe overall records from last season.

Iowa's DBs took a huge hit, but the front is solid. Personally, I think Iowa at ISU is a better matchup. Wyoming might be struggling to stop Iowa's pass rush, but I think Iowa State will be able to. ISU's RB also had 1,300 yard season 2 seasons ago, cannot count him out.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been a pretty brutal stretch for you guys, hasn't it? Something like one winning season in the last dozen years or so dating back to the Mike Price era.

I'm rooting for you guys though, if nothing else because of your coach Sean Kugler. He's a good dude. He was Boise's O-Line coach for one season before he took off for the NFL but it was a good one. We finished in the top 5 and beat OU in the Fiesta Bowl. We had a really good line that year too filled with a lot of talented guys.

There's one quote from Chris Petersen from that season that I'll never forget. It's always stuck with me. He said, "There's no question in my mind that Sean Kugler's the best football coach that I've ever been around." That seems hard to believe but it's still pretty cool that he said it nonetheless.
I remember when Sean played at UTEP in the 80s. He is a good guy and he's easy to root for. He hasn't had any off field issues that I can recall either. He's a straight arrow and doesn't tolerate shit.

UTEP is just a difficult job because it is hard to recruit like is needed...mainly because of isolation. But the facilities are really pretty damned good in comparison to a lot of other G5s. Sean's had some hard luck a few seasons as far as injuries go. They really weren't as bad as the record showed in some years. The others, we just weren't very good.

He's kind of stuck...as any coach would be. He knows he can't recruit quality defensive depth that is good enough to be left on the field a lot so he's reluctant to install a high scoring offensive philosophy. He's gone to ball control. Hell, he's a former offensive lineman, all of 'em like to run the ball. Sound philosophy. Problem is they aren't physically capable to run the ball consistently either so they still put the defense on the field with a lot of three and outs. They are pretty good if they get ahead. When they are behind, it is nearly impossible to make a comeback.