• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Shane Lyon's plan is working!!!

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Shane responsible for any of the success of any of the athletic teams? Seriously... how is he to be given credit? He hired which current coach?

All he did was throw his football coach under the bus in Feb. '16. He is directly responsible for two recruiting classes taking a hit. Last year's pathetic class is directly on him.

That is all he's done. Fucked Dana and the football program.... right?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that's right athletic success has NOTHING to do with wins and championships, it's all about how much money you can milk from the fans, so I guess Lyons is a failure........

What has Lyon's done?....seriously...

The improvement plan was in motion before he got to Morgantown...the Coaches are all hired by the previous AD's...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is Shane responsible for any of the success of any of the athletic teams? Seriously... how is he to be given credit? He hired which current coach?

All he did was throw his football coach under the bus in Feb. '16. He is directly responsible for two recruiting classes taking a hit. Last year's pathetic class is directly on him.

That is all he's done. Fucked Dana and the football program.... right?
Which coaches did Luck hire, oh that's right, your boy Holgorsen, who you think should have been extended with a 500 record.........and a mediocre baseball coach. Our WINNING coaches were hired by Pastilong, Luck did NOTHING to help those teams. His big "help" for basketball was to rearrange the seating to alienate long time ticket holders and fleece more $ from the fans.

Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.........and a mediocre baseball coach.

I don't usually do this, but what the hell are you talking about???? Have you ever watched BaseBall in Morgantown before? This coach has taken a underneath the barrel team and have them where they can compete. This is not going to happen overnight. When the hell was WVU BaseBall ever worth a fuck? We got about the best coach in the land that we could ever dream of having here........Who the hell wants to play BaseBall at WVU???? Hell it's snowing in April when it is in the 80's in BaseBall land. This has to be one of the most asinine statements I have ever seen.......I'm afraid you may have went full retard on this, and you should never ever go full retard..

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Lyon's done?....seriously...

The improvement plan was in motion before he got to Morgantown...the Coaches are all hired by the previous AD's...

Shane took over a good athletic program started by Eddie P, Improved by Luck. My question is what would you do differently than he has? The only big decision he has rally had to make (that we know of) was to extend Holgs, fire Holgs or wait a year to see any improvement and save contract buyout dollars. He could have budgeted more money for football assistants, but I am not sure that it would have retained anyone. We had as much assistant turnover under Luck.

Shane has made solid (maybe not the best) decisions. I think many give him a harder time than he deserves.

I think the handling of Holgs was a mistake. He should have been fired last year. Some here would have liked to see Doc Holliday in there, but I think that Gallaway would have made a great HC who could have been acquired for a lower dollar contract. Seider could make a good OC. Waiting to extend makes recruiting more difficult. A early fire would cost a buyout.

I still think that his decision to wait was a good financial decision for the school. After a successful season by Holgs, his hands became tied and he had to extend his coach after a 10 win season. I think the plan was to watch another 7-8 win season, dump Holgs and put Gibby in unless Sweater Vest Tressel was willing to take the job.

I think with Holgs, we have a ceiling and will never finish better than 2nd in the B12.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which coaches did Luck hire, oh that's right, your boy Holgorsen, who you think should have been extended with a 500 record.........and a mediocre baseball coach. Our WINNING coaches were hired by Pastilong, Luck did NOTHING to help those teams. His big "help" for basketball was to rearrange the seating to alienate long time ticket holders and fleece more $ from the fans.

Really? Go home... you're drunk...

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one gives any love for Wrestling.....our program looks solid....National Champ runner up and this year a B12 champ.

Baseball coach was a pretty good hire as well....we play in one of the most competitive cons in the country and we almost won conf title last year.

Don't you have to give a little credit to a guy for not making changes...I think most AD's come in and feel they have to leave their mark on the program....I think Luck made changes that were needed, not just to make changes.

I noticed none of you $1 hot dog guys have mentioned the increase Lyons just put on season ticket holders.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't the baseball team play for the BIG12 championship last year? And got screwed out of the NCAA tourney?

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shane took over a good athletic program started by Eddie P, Improved by Luck. My question is what would you do differently than he has? The only big decision he has rally had to make (that we know of) was to extend Holgs, fire Holgs or wait a year to see any improvement and save contract buyout dollars. He could have budgeted more money for football assistants, but I am not sure that it would have retained anyone. We had as much assistant turnover under Luck.

Shane has made solid (maybe not the best) decisions. I think many give him a harder time than he deserves.

I think the handling of Holgs was a mistake. He should have been fired last year. Some here would have liked to see Doc Holliday in there, but I think that Gallaway would have made a great HC who could have been acquired for a lower dollar contract. Seider could make a good OC. Waiting to extend makes recruiting more difficult. A early fire would cost a buyout.

I still think that his decision to wait was a good financial decision for the school. After a successful season by Holgs, his hands became tied and he had to extend his coach after a 10 win season. I think the plan was to watch another 7-8 win season, dump Holgs and put Gibby in unless Sweater Vest Tressel was willing to take the job.

I think with Holgs, we have a ceiling and will never finish better than 2nd in the B12.

Well ............since you asked. To me, just like the President of the United States......or anyone frankly in charge of a team or department or a Division or Business should have have already engaged a 100 to 120 day short term agenda and then a 12 month, 5 year and 10 year capital plan for the department.

Luck had a business plan in motion in the first 30 days! Clements had a strategic plan that was completely comprehensive , goal and action oriented and the campus is seeing all of those initiatives come to life..

Lyon's plan looks a lot like Eddie P's....empty pages....

http://strategicplan.wvu.edu/r/download/90223

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the baseball team play for the BIG12 championship last year? And got screwed out of the NCAA tourney?
The WBB team IS the B12 champ, no love there from these guys, the MBB team played for the B12 title, finished second both in the season and in the tourney, and we hear hatred spewed forth for our basketball coach, the rifle team just won their 5th NCAA title in a row, not a peep.
Had Luck thought about it, baseball should probably have been dropped and other sports, like men's track for example put in place, rather than spending a boatload of money on BB, like was said above, Morgantown isn't exactly baseball country.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well ............since you asked. To me, just like the President of the United States......or anyone frankly in charge of a team or department or a Division or Business should have have already engaged a 100 to 120 day short term agenda and then a 12 month, 5 year and 10 year capital plan for the department.

Luck had a business plan in motion in the first 30 days! Clements had a strategic plan that was completely comprehensive , goal and action oriented and the campus is seeing all of those initiatives come to life..

Lyon's plan looks a lot like Eddie P's....empty pages....

http://strategicplan.wvu.edu/r/download/90223

Prior to joining the Alabama staff in November 2011, Lyons spent 10 years as an associate commissioner at the Atlantic Coast Conference. At the ACC, Lyons focused on conference-wide compliance and academic initiatives, providing direct assistance to the conference’s presidents, chancellors and athletics directors in matters dealing with NCAA regulatory matters.

In addition, he served as the ACC’s human resource manager and was responsible for the administration, negotiation and mediation of the employee benefits program and managing the conference’s organizational policies and procedures. He was part of the administrative team for ACC events, including the football championship game, the men’s basketball tournament and men’s and women’s NCAA basketball events. He also completed a term as chairman of the NCAA’s Division I Legislative Council in addition to serving on other committees.

Prior to working at the ACC, Lyons served as associate athletics director for compliance at Big 12 member Texas Tech from 1998 to 2001

He is nothing more than a Human Resources Director...nothing in his resume says he is a visionary in any sense of the word....

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The WBB team IS the B12 champ, no love there from these guys, the MBB team played for the B12 title, finished second both in the season and in the tourney, and we hear hatred spewed forth for our basketball coach, the rifle team just won their 5th NCAA title in a row, not a peep.
Had Luck thought about it, baseball should probably have been dropped and other sports, like men's track for example put in place, rather than spending a boatload of money on BB, like was said above, Morgantown isn't exactly baseball country.

I bet my last dollar the Baseball team brought in 100 times over more revenue than the Womens Basketball Team and Rifle team combined!...

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet my last dollar the Baseball team brought in 100 times over more revenue than the Womens Basketball Team and Rifle team combined!...
YUP, screw a bunch of wins and championships, just pass me a few more bucks...............just think how much $ WVU could make if we quit playing ball of any type!!!!! Why do we play sports? Is it to make money? NO, is it to win? Partly, is it to foster a team mentality and set and attain common goals? partly. As to your ridiculous statement, I doubt any of the three make a dime, and THAT should not enter into any discussion of success for a college team other than football and men's basketball.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really?..I think Wv could win the Big12 next year.........

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YUP, screw a bunch of wins and championships, just pass me a few more bucks...............just think how much $ WVU could make if we quit playing ball of any type!!!!! Why do we play sports? Is it to make money? NO, is it to win? Partly, is it to foster a team mentality and set and attain common goals? partly. As to your ridiculous statement, I doubt any of the three make a dime, and THAT should not enter into any discussion of success for a college team other than football and men's basketball.

You add the Pirate Affiliate that stadium is making money...it absolutely has created a revenue stream for the county and University..

And this year......they take the next step....................

2017 Schedule

Two home games will air nationally on FOX College Sports, while two home contests will be broadcast locally on the Nexstar Media Group’s network of statewide affiliates.

The first-ever nationally-televised game from Monongalia County Ballpark will take place when WVU hosts No. 3 TCU on Friday, April 14 at 6:30 p.m. ET, on FCS Atlantic. The series finale against the Horned Frogs, on Sunday, April 16, at noon, will be broadcast throughout the state of West Virginia on Nexstar Media affiliates, WVNS in Beckley, WBOY in Clarksburg, WOWK in Huntington and WTRF in Wheeling.

Nexstar Media Group will also televise the Mountaineers’ matchup against Oklahoma on Sunday, April 30. With the television broadcast, the game will now begin at noon ET. The Clarksburg, Beckley and Huntington affiliates will be the same as the April 16 TCU game, with MY Ohio Valley (ETRF) carrying the game in the Wheeling market.

West Virginia’s second nationally-televised home game will be on Saturday, May 6, against Texas Tech at 4 p.m. ET, on FCS Central.

In addition to the four home games, several of WVU’s road games will be on national TV, beginning with this Friday’s contest at No. 10 Baylor, set for a 9 p.m. ET first pitch on FS1. Saturday’s game at Baylor is set for FOX Sports Southwest Plus/FCS Central, while Sunday’s game will be on FCS Central.

West Virginia’s series opener at Oklahoma State on Friday, March 31, will air on FOX Sports Southwest Plus/FCS Atlantic, and all three games at Texas, from May 19-21, to close out the regular season can be seen on the Longhorn Network.

FOX College Sports (FCS) offers three nationally distributed college sports networks – FCS Pacific, FCS Central, and FCS Atlantic – stocked with premium collegiate programming from across the country. Find FCS in your area at http://fcs.channelfinder.net/v2/framework.aspx.

Take in new television money, being apart of the Big12 they are MAKING money....

DAD of course winning is important to the overall health of an Athletic Program...but if they don't make money...they shut them down...Rifle I am sure cheers for the revenue driving sports ...it keeps them in business!

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to joining the Alabama staff in November 2011, Lyons spent 10 years as an associate commissioner at the Atlantic Coast Conference. At the ACC, Lyons focused on conference-wide compliance and academic initiatives, providing direct assistance to the conference’s presidents, chancellors and athletics directors in matters dealing with NCAA regulatory matters.

In addition, he served as the ACC’s human resource manager and was responsible for the administration, negotiation and mediation of the employee benefits program and managing the conference’s organizational policies and procedures. He was part of the administrative team for ACC events, including the football championship game, the men’s basketball tournament and men’s and women’s NCAA basketball events. He also completed a term as chairman of the NCAA’s Division I Legislative Council in addition to serving on other committees.

Prior to working at the ACC, Lyons served as associate athletics director for compliance at Big 12 member Texas Tech from 1998 to 2001

He is nothing more than a Human Resources Director...nothing in his resume says he is a visionary in any sense of the word....

Someone was impressed enough with his credentials that they hired him. I don't see him as a visionary. Much of his budget goes to improvements that have been in place for years. In reality he is a Human Resources manager. Coaches, assistants compliance. The ship is moving in the right direction. Luck and Clements had a plan that changed Morgantown forever. I think that most here feel that Luck was much better for WVU. Shane has not made any Pastilong stupid moves. (I.e. Hire a coach after a big win before he even made a good search). If his plan was to keep WVU competitive in a tough conference, he has not done a bad job.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah... the goof ball... bow tie wearing fool...was impressed enough to hire someone not qualified so he could control the athletic department.

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You add the Pirate Affiliate that stadium is making money...it absolutely has created a revenue stream for the county and University..

And this year......they take the next step....................

2017 Schedule

Two home games will air nationally on FOX College Sports, while two home contests will be broadcast locally on the Nexstar Media Group’s network of statewide affiliates.

The first-ever nationally-televised game from Monongalia County Ballpark will take place when WVU hosts No. 3 TCU on Friday, April 14 at 6:30 p.m. ET, on FCS Atlantic. The series finale against the Horned Frogs, on Sunday, April 16, at noon, will be broadcast throughout the state of West Virginia on Nexstar Media affiliates, WVNS in Beckley, WBOY in Clarksburg, WOWK in Huntington and WTRF in Wheeling.

Nexstar Media Group will also televise the Mountaineers’ matchup against Oklahoma on Sunday, April 30. With the television broadcast, the game will now begin at noon ET. The Clarksburg, Beckley and Huntington affiliates will be the same as the April 16 TCU game, with MY Ohio Valley (ETRF) carrying the game in the Wheeling market.

West Virginia’s second nationally-televised home game will be on Saturday, May 6, against Texas Tech at 4 p.m. ET, on FCS Central.

In addition to the four home games, several of WVU’s road games will be on national TV, beginning with this Friday’s contest at No. 10 Baylor, set for a 9 p.m. ET first pitch on FS1. Saturday’s game at Baylor is set for FOX Sports Southwest Plus/FCS Central, while Sunday’s game will be on FCS Central.

West Virginia’s series opener at Oklahoma State on Friday, March 31, will air on FOX Sports Southwest Plus/FCS Atlantic, and all three games at Texas, from May 19-21, to close out the regular season can be seen on the Longhorn Network.

FOX College Sports (FCS) offers three nationally distributed college sports networks – FCS Pacific, FCS Central, and FCS Atlantic – stocked with premium collegiate programming from across the country. Find FCS in your area at http://fcs.channelfinder.net/v2/framework.aspx.

Take in new television money, being apart of the Big12 they are MAKING money....

DAD of course winning is important to the overall health of an Athletic Program...but if they don't make money...they shut them down...Rifle I am sure cheers for the revenue driving sports ...it keeps them in business!

And DAD just to add to my post......and for those like you that may have short term memory loss when it comes to your Hero Eddie THE KING Pastilong..when the program wasn't making enough money and out of compliance with Title IX what did HE DO?!?...he SHUTDOWN the only team that has ever won a National Championship at the school and a high profile MEN"S TRACK TEAM!...that's what kind of visionary that guy was........and now we have EDDIE P the sequel at the helm!.......anyhow I digress...you obviously need money to keep the Olympic Sports alive!

Here........chew on this!!..it will refresh your memory and why money matters!!!

http://www.ohio.edu/people/hoffmar1/Collegiate Track and Cross Country.pdf

Last edited:

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And DAD just to add to my post......and for those like you that may have short term memory loss when it comes to your Hero Eddie THE KING Pastilong..when the program wasn't making enough money and out of compliance with Title IX what did HE DO?!?...he SHUTDOWN the only team that has ever won a National Championship at the school and a high profile MEN"S TRACK TEAM!...that's what kind of visionary that guy was........and now we have EDDIE P the sequel at the helm!.......anyhow I digress...you obviously need money to keep the Olympic Sports alive!

Here........chew on this!!..it will refresh your memory and why money matters!!!

Sure makes Lyons look better.

WVUDAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I cursed Pastilong greatly when rifle was cut, horrible move for our high profile successful team!!! The men's track team I understand, due to title 9, men's track teams were being cut nationwide, along with other high participant number men's teams. WVU had raised tuition at astronomical rates at the time, and with the athletic department being self funded, there was not money enough in the coffers to cover the higher tuition costs. I still do not get why rifle was cut, it has very low expenses compared to other sports in every area except travel, which still is not horribly high due to the few athletes. I was waiting for a plane in Dallas a few years ago and ran into the Alaska Fairbanks rifle team who were returning home from a meet at TCU, so they do indeed log some miles (their coach approached me, I was wearing my WVU ball cap). People forget the positives Pastilong made in his time at WVU, he was not AD at the time, but was in on New Mountaineer field being built, got us into the BE, which was MUCH harder of a sale than getting into a desperate B12, hired many damn fine coaches, many who are still here today doing well. Our facilities were above adequate during his tenure, some want to pour piss on the asbestos abatement in the Coliseum, but that HAD to be done regardless of who sat in the golden chair. Pastilong came up in a different time, a time when ADs were not asked to be visionary, they were caretakers, overseers, negotiators, and I fell he did an above average job. His time as AD saw WVU on the national stage in quite a few sports, and he represented us well.