• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks need to resign Earl Thomas

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Seattle should just bend over grab its ankles?
If they want compensation for losing ET. What pick would they get if he signed elsewhere? 3rd? I guess they can try for that.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying that the owners don't deserve their profits, because they did something to have that much wealth to be able to support a professional franchise, but getting angry at players who can only make money for a very short time and typically are foregoing development of any other career-skill for trying to maximize their income in that very short time is not very fair.

You seem to have forgotten that there is a cap. Seahawks can only pay out X amount of $, so paying Thomas isn't effecting the owners pocket at all. It will effect how much Thomas teammates will make however. This season the Seahawks are paying out over 14 million in dead money to players no longer on the team. You know who's pocket that comes out of? Thats right, the other players on the team that are actually on the field for the Seahawks. Kind of a bad deal for the other players who are actually playing IMO. Yet some here feel the Seahawks should give out some monster contract ( that would have to come with a big guarantee) to a player that been making way more then the majority of the players on the team, Thomas has already gotten his guaranteed money that should set him up for life, but let's hand him a contract that will leave a ton of dead money on the cap down the road like most third contracts do. The other player won't mind footing the bill I'm sure.:crazy:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I don't deal him for any less than a second.
Exactly. Any team that wants him can fork over at least a second or they can wait until he's a free agent and out bid $$$$ everyone for him.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read this yesterday. Well-written and a good explanation. I think a lot of us just expect these guys to just shut-up (which, frankly, Earl always has) and play because they get paid so much and "they signed a contract". The fact is, those contracts are only contracts on one-side (the players). For the teams, they are a general agreement that can be broken at any time with minimal repercussions. I have a difficult time being angry at players for taking this tact to secure their future, given the facts that they have a very short (typically) window to make their money and they are putting their long and short-term health on the line every time they step on the field coupled with how NFL contracts work.

I really hope that they come to an agreement with ET; failing that, I do hope that they trade him to a team that will sign him long-term.
If Earl's future hasn't been secured by now, it never will.

He is set to make 8.5 million this year. 8.5 freaking million dollars!!!!!!! His future is set, he could walk away from the game and be just fine.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“He’s in a whole other place right now. He’s handling his situation, [rather than] helping us. I try not to deal with that energy.”

Those words aren’t about Earl Thomas.

Those words were said by Earl Thomas. Three years ago. While teammate Kam Chancellor was trying to get a new contract from the Seahawks in a holdout that turned out just as futile as Thomas’ probably will be.

Interesting quote by Earl Thomas 3 years ago regarding Kam and his holdout...

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want compensation for losing ET. What pick would they get if he signed elsewhere? 3rd? I guess they can try for that.

Why wouldn't they just tag him and keep control of him?

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep tag him and if someone then goes after him it's a FIRST not a 3rd.

The Hawks are only having trouble trading him because of Earls action during the season. Teams see a player who wants out so why trade for someone and lose picks on top of the money? just wait it out and only lose the Money. Thomas poisoned the waters for the Hawks. Right now unless you are a moron Thomas is worth a middle to late 1st round pick. END OF STORY! no one wants to pay that because they know "Thomas wants out"

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep tag him and if someone then goes after him it's a FIRST not a 3rd.

The Hawks are only having trouble trading him because of Earls action during the season. Teams see a player who wants out so why trade for someone and lose picks on top of the money? just wait it out and only lose the Money. Thomas poisoned the waters for the Hawks. Right now unless you are a moron Thomas is worth a middle to late 1st round pick. END OF STORY! no one wants to pay that because they know "Thomas wants out"

Certainly understand that Thomas didn't help the Seahawks trade position, but seriously if he had his lips shut a team approaching the Seahawks would know he was a aging stud with a expiring contract and his salary this season isn't peanuts exactly. So they would either be trading for a rent a player which would not be worth a first or they would ask to speak to him to find out what it would take to sign him. Then they would know he wants a hefty guarantee to sign ( IMO at least that what Thomas wants) so then again not worth a first most likely.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't they just tag him and keep control of him?
Yeah, that’s an idea. I’ve been talking b-ball trades too much. I still don’t think it’s worth it to give him that much money to stick around during rebuilding years.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Any team that wants him can fork over at least a second or they can wait until he's a free agent and out bid $$$$ everyone for him.

The Colts GM is now saying that a 1st isn't enough to get Jacoby Brissit. If that is true then it is ridiculous that we can't even get a 2nd for Thomas who is a much better player.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ET is on this team for this season and possibly next season.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earl just saw many of his teammates that he played with for almost his entire career retire or be pushed out unceremoniously. I get that he wants at least a little security.

Uh... like who? The reason Seattle collapsed is because they signed the entire defense to massive contracts... Sherman was let go because Seattle couldn't pay him... unless Sherman wanted to sign a $5M contract. Sherman was all butthurt about Seattle not talking to him, but Seattle did him a favor by not jerking him around.

Chancellor retired because of his neck. Bennett was frankly too expensive and a locker room cancer, Thomas should've seen the writing on the wall with that. And... who else? Wright, Wagner, Clark (still here), DTs on the team were never great and Richardson obviously didn't want to be here... we've kept Baldwin, Wilson, Lynch wanted to be in Oakland, etc. etc.

Unceremoniously? Not sure I follow what you're saying at all. Maybe we should've thrown a going away party for them and gotten a bunch of chicken wings with ALL flavors and beer, spared no expense? Most of those guys were commanding too much money, left because they wanted to, or simply retired/aged. If Earl has a problem with how Seattle handled any of those players that's extremely ignorant, and if he wants to blame anyone - blame the cap...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unceremoniously? Not sure I follow what you're saying at all. Maybe we should've thrown a going away party for them and gotten a bunch of chicken wings with ALL flavors and beer, spared no expense? Most of those guys were commanding too much money, left because they wanted to, or simply retired/aged. If Earl has a problem with how Seattle handled any of those players that's extremely ignorant, and if he wants to blame anyone - blame the cap...

Cliff Avril - retired due to potentially life altering injury
Kam Chancellor - retired due to potentially life altering injury
Richard Sherman - cut without any discussion of restructuring his contract
Michael Bennett - traded

I'm not blaming the Seahawks. I just understand Earl's perspective.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh... like who? The reason Seattle collapsed is because they signed the entire defense to massive contracts... Sherman was let go because Seattle couldn't pay him... unless Sherman wanted to sign a $5M contract. Sherman was all butthurt about Seattle not talking to him, but Seattle did him a favor by not jerking him around.

Chancellor retired because of his neck. Bennett was frankly too expensive and a locker room cancer, Thomas should've seen the writing on the wall with that. And... who else? Wright, Wagner, Clark (still here), DTs on the team were never great and Richardson obviously didn't want to be here... we've kept Baldwin, Wilson, Lynch wanted to be in Oakland, etc. etc.

I'm not sure how your sensitive ass can handle watching pro sports. So many triggers for you.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a fan, I hope ET3 retires as a hawk. He is on the path to being a HOF'er and still has some great years ahead of him.

From the club's perspective, they obviously have to make the math/value work and also have somehow fill the void that trading him would create. I don't see how we can do that this season, which would crush any potential of having a shot of the playoffs. If the team is willing to trade him, it possibly wouldn't happen until around the trade deadline ala the Carson Palmer trade: a contending team will have an unfortunate injury and pay a king's ransom for ET3.

From ET3's perspective, yeah it sucks not having guaranteed contracts and this is his last round of getting that big payday. After football, he's earning potential will be penny's compared to now unless he has coaching in his future. He may be making a stink now because he sees a franchise tag in his future, which throws off the preferred timeline on getting a long-term contract.

If he holds out though, he won't accrue a season of service right?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure how your sensitive ass can handle watching pro sports. So many triggers for you.

Oh okay, chf...

I'll try to be more disciplined in the future...

giphy.gif

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Irony alert.