1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Rangers Are In LA to Play The Dodgers June 12-13

Discussion in 'Texas Rangers' started by saddles, Jun 12, 2018.

1. saddles

saddles Rangers Fan Since 1972

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

The main problem I have with OPS is the "O" part. A stat that gives just as much weight to a walk as a single is flawed to me. That being said, walks can't be ignored. Until we get a stat that lowers the value of a walk in relation to a single OPS is the best we have.

2. jta4437

jta4437 Grumpy Cat

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

You can use whatever metric you want, Odor is worse than Profar

• Like Like x 3
  3. saddles

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

This is very good news.

4. saddles

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I have higher expectations for Hans Crouse than anyone else in our system. I sure hope he stays healthy.

5. Kelleyman

Kelleyman Still without badges and looking for pitchers

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Hahaha. For now and likely in the future...agreed. Still be interesting how it plays out once EA is back.

6. Nightcrawler

Nightcrawler Well-Known Member

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Worst article I’ve ever read. That guy is a moron and an odor lover.

The best player should play, what’s with this “ he’s out played him, but not well enough” bullshit.

The guy who wrote that is probably some cuck pussy boy who likes watching Odor’s minor league style of play.

Article made me so mad. Profar has clearly out played odor and I think if we gave him all of this year to play, his stats would be even better next year.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. Kelleyman

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Seems to have that moxy and the stuff to back it up. Hope our new additions prove well. I liked Ortiz too. Wish we didn't lose him

8. Nightcrawler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

The other thing that makes this article total bullshit is that I think the baseball reason Odor was given the contract was his power hitting. His power hitting has been non existent this year and he’s been a bad player for 2 years now. I think the leagues pitchers have adjusted to him, he’s had forever to adjust back, and he’s shown no signs of having the ability to make the necessary adjustments. I hope he’s not on the team by the time we move to the new stadium.

9. Kelleyman

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

I wonder if productive outs vs untimely strikeouts could be factored in. I think you have to use all including eye test. Part of me still old school

10. Ephland

Ephland Well-Known Moron

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Generally speaking, this couldn't be further from the truth.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jta4437

jta4437 Grumpy Cat

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Absolutely include all factors, but focusing on the eye test is what got Odor that fat contract to begin with, the flaws were readily apparent to a casual fan much less an organization that has access to the analytical data it does

12. saddles

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It was in response to the guy who wrote the article saying players are smart. Some of each party are dumb as a bag of rocks and some are actually knowledgeable to at least some degree. The same is true of writers and talk show hosts. Smart players would actually know why Odor was being sent down. The article could not be more wrong on that part. I chose that wording for effect because the author used that kind of wording and I thought that would be obvious. If I had explained in detail you would have thought I was over explaining the obvious again.

How about, smart fans will realize that making a decision based on a mistake is bad decision making.

13. saddles

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

Then there is the theory that the best thing a batter can do is make the pitcher throw a lot of pitches. What if a so called productive out came on the first pitch and the strikeout came on the 9th pitch of the AB. Not that I am too fond of the theory that wearing a pitcher down is of utmost importance. Myself, I would rather our hitters wear a pitcher out by punishing him with hits off of him than wear him down. Of course, there might be some very limited exceptions.

14. Kelleyman

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

That is true but sometime moving the runner to 3rd with no outs tie ballgame bottom of ninth is better than waiting it out.

Good points but it still shows the limits of our analytic culture. Very useful tool but not end all.

Which makes for good baseball discussion

15. donaldson79

donaldson79 Hooplaist

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

At least to me, it appears that Odor is trying to be more productive, with limited success granted, but he's still making an effort. And as for Profar, his D at SS has been at best below avg., and his hitting isn't all that much higher that Odor's. But he gets a lot more out of his ab than Odor does, that's for sure.

On the Odor front, first, the FO totally screwed up with even offering him the money so early to begin with. But that's history. But what isn't, is his lack of being able to play another position. At least Profar can fill in at short, or 3rd when needed.

It's going to be an uphill battle for Odor to gain the fans approval back b/c he's in a similar position as Choo. Can't play D, and his contract is a bad one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Nightcrawler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

It seems like this kind of stuff ONLY happens to the rangers but....

Chris Martin is now injured. He tweaked his hamstring running in from the bullpen when the benches cleared yesterday.

17. DT LUNA

DT LUNA Vietnam Veteran

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 950

Certainly happens enough

18. donaldson79

donaldson79 Hooplaist

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Nightcrawler

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

20. donaldson79

donaldson79 Hooplaist

Hoopla Bookie:
    $ 1,000

You're a TAD more harsh on the Rangers brain-trust than I am on this subject. And I've been one of the most 'rain-on-Odor's-parade' guys here.

But here's what I see, and makes me wonder some myself. Odor is honestly working and giving 100% to improve his game. But my question is, 'why can't he do that at a lower level?' He's gonna get paid the same regardless of what rung-of-the-ladder he's standing on. So why not take the pressure off him and us by sending him down?

Also, it gives Profar more time to increase his trade value, and/or value to us, by letting him play 2nd.

Seems to me, by sending Odor down it really helps all parties concerned.