• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Punisher (TV series)

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that in the trailer? If so, I'm somewhat surprised since I was figuring it'd be a week earlier on the 10th since that's the Marine Corps Birthday I believe. So I'm guessing this is possibly a move to counter Justice League? :noidea:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is that in the trailer? If so, I'm somewhat surprised since I was figuring it'd be a week earlier on the 10th since that's the Marine Corps Birthday I believe. So I'm guessing this is possibly a move to counter Justice League? :noidea:
At the end of the trailer, yes.

Is this show supposed to be pro-military? Why take the Marines bday into account at all?

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the end of the trailer, yes.

Is this show supposed to be pro-military? Why take the Marines bday into account at all?
I was thinking that Frank was once in the marines so it'd line up on that date.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm happily watching both.

This will be the best movie of 2017 and the best Netflix show of 2017.

Q happy.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be out this upcoming Friday!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is officially dropped.

Hmmm...

I think I may be too sick go to work today...

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is officially dropped.

Hmmm...

I think I may be too sick go to work today...

:suds: :thumb:

So much goodness released today, Justice League and Punisher! :D

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bernthal just plays a great badass. Loved him in Baby Driver and The Accountant. Perhaps he's the reason I feel the Walking Dead has been meh for years.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why even pretend making this an MCU movie? Even a Netflix MCU movie?

I am about 5 or 6 eps in, and it is hardly even a comic book movie. No mention of “the Event”, but there is mention of 9/11. Without Karen, and a few mentions of her past, there is not even a background tie-in to the MCU.

That aside, solid show. Gritty af.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Critics appear to be panning this series as dull, but I really liked it.
It's character driven and a majority of the non-action scenes are two people talking.
There really wasn't a lot of action, but I was not bored.

Did anyone else find the voice of Madani's mother hypnotic?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Critics appear to be panning this series as dull, but I really liked it.
It's character driven and a majority of the non-action scenes are two people talking.
There really wasn't a lot of action, but I was not bored.

Did anyone else find the voice of Madani's mother hypnotic?
I can’t stand the actress who played Madani’s mother, precisely because of her voice. She sounds like Harvey Fierstein.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly the best of the Marvel Netflixverse. It focuses more on the characters and does a fine job of actually making you care about them. It's a little bit more grounded in reality, at least in terms of the dialogue. Characters say what you expect them to say in the vast majority of situations. Action only happens when it's necessary to the plot, and when used sparingly, it has a greater impact. Good performances all around, a plot that makes sense and is pretty clever, to me this can more than stand up to action movies such as the Bourne Identity series.

Small gripes? Some cheap looking CGI blood splatter that can be a little distracting, but all of the important scenes don't have that issue. A few things that aren't very believable but that's to be expected from a show like this.

Overall, the dialogue is golden, the logic used is pretty great for a comic book show, there are no characters that you don't care at least a little bit about. For me this is a 9/10, I haven't been this pleased since Daredevil S1.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite possibly the best of the Marvel Netflixverse. It focuses more on the characters and does a fine job of actually making you care about them. It's a little bit more grounded in reality, at least in terms of the dialogue. Characters say what you expect them to say in the vast majority of situations. Action only happens when it's necessary to the plot, and when used sparingly, it has a greater impact. Good performances all around, a plot that makes sense and is pretty clever, to me this can more than stand up to action movies such as the Bourne Identity series.

Small gripes? Some cheap looking CGI blood splatter that can be a little distracting, but all of the important scenes don't have that issue. A few things that aren't very believable but that's to be expected from a show like this.

Overall, the dialogue is golden, the logic used is pretty great for a comic book show, there are no characters that you don't care at least a little bit about. For me this is a 9/10, I haven't been this pleased since Daredevil S1.
Yep. It was a good show

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I slept through most of episode 3 last night. Too much nothing to hold my attention. Won't stop me from #4 but I want more Punisher and less background on Micro. I get why Punisher is who he is. No more drawn out crap.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I slept through most of episode 3 last night. Too much nothing to hold my attention. Won't stop me from #4 but I want more Punisher and less background on Micro. I get why Punisher is who he is. No more drawn out crap.
You'll like the last two episodes then...

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is really uneven so far (6 or 7 episodes in)

Some really good stuff and some really dumb stuff. I'm sorry, my family would recognize Frank Castle immediately once he shaved. That whole plot arc shouldn't work. The Ptsd angle is good but I feel like they took Captain America and Falcon and ran with it. The hot woman sending all of her coworkers against trained assassins was unbelievable but led to some great scenes. The Castle and the bomb thing was unbelievable in every way and left me not wanting to finish it.

Love the acting but I don't like the script. Not what I expected

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall it was uneven for me.

Good
1. Jon Bernthal is awesome. He seems born to play the role and gives a great effort. He will forever be the character for all time. He gave the best by far acting effort of anyone tackling that character.
2. The smaller supporting characters were great actors as well.
3. There are Fun Action Sequences
4. It ambitiously tackled a mature issue in dealing with PTDS and the morality of War
5. Did I mention Great Acting? It deserves a second mention. It was well acted.

Bad
1. Too many episodes. It comes to crawl at times. The story could have happened in 8 episodes.

2. The Female Lead is written poorly. She comes off as a stupid fuckwit who gets by on blind luck. They tried to make her some smart swaggering intelligent tough woman, but the exact opposite unfolds. Worse still, any scene with her puts you to sleep because she commits the cardinal sin of TELLING the audience instead of SHOWING the audience. The actor was not horrible, but the writers were awful with her character.

3. The plot is simple but it becomes boring when stretched out too far. Even the slowly building "twists" are telegraphed from about 1000 miles away so that any 8 year old could tell it was coming. More bad writing overall. A simple plot doesn't need endless filler to make it a great plot. Simple is often the best. The writers panicked and thought it needed to drawn out because it wasnt complex.

72/100 score

Bernthal deserves a better script. He made a below average script into something decent.
With a good script, he could make this character an all-time TV great.